INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12: Theater View Wishlist  (Read 1845 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC12: Theater View Wishlist
« on: May 25, 2005, 08:04:11 am »

OK, OK I know MC11 isn't actually released yet, but it's as good as released, so I thought I'd start a "wishlist" for MC12 and it's Theater View.

1) When in the playing now view if playback is paused (or stopped) the green marker indicating the track stays there.  So if somebody comes along and looks at the screen it can be difficult to tell if the system is actually playing something (and no sound is coming out) or if in fact the music is paused/stopped. 
This gets more confusing if you have more than one zone and are trying to determine if a zone is actually playing or not.

Can I suggest that either the green marker is hidden when playback is stopped/paused. Or even better change the marker to the universal "Paused" symbol or "Stopped" symbol. This way a quick glance at the screen will tell you is the music is playing, paused or stopped.

2) Display Album Name in the title bar rather than "Home / Playing Now".

3) Implement the Tools/Locate/Album functionality into Theater View

4) Have the ability to toggle between "Playing Now" and the last location in the  menu tree without having to go back to "home". (available via the remote control as well)

5) Allow Visualization Studio the ability to display user defined library fields (I know this isn't only theater view)

I'm sure others have some Theater View things they would like as well.....

Cheers
Richard

interbeat

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: MC12: Theater View Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 01:11:05 pm »

I'm sure others have some Theater View things they would like as well.....

Yep. I was going to wait but as you brought up the subject already, here's what I'd like:

Things I'd really like to see:
  • Ability to define a sort order for each view scheme 'column' which would also be honoured in theatre view
  • Ability to define view settings for each view scheme 'column' in theatre view [list / thumbnails / folder thumbnails (if appropriate)]
  • Ability to turn off the "all" groupings
  • Keyboard shortcuts for everything so that remote control users (using Girder) don't have to press loads of buttons to acheive things - for example going straight to Audio / Photos / TV or for playing / adding files etc.

The above three would enable me to navigate through my audio files in theatre view like this:
[Genre] displayed alphabetically in a list
[Artist] displayed alphabetically in a list
[Album] displayed chronologically as thumbnails
[Files] displayed in track number order as a list
without needing to press 'change view' at all. This would make Theatre View near perfect for me!

Other ideas that would be nice...
  • Make folder thumbnails scroll through their contents when selected (like library browser)
  • A 'tile' type view where album titles and artist (for example) could be displayed to the right of a thumbnail (currently having the text below each thumbnail doesn't give much space for the text)
  • Animation (like when selecting something for example)
  • Ability to give thumbnail pics to TV stations and also to link somehow to TV listings for each individual station somehow (within theatre view)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 01:32:10 pm »

• Ability to define a sort order for each view scheme 'column' which would also be honoured in theatre view
You can.  Just put the Sort in the Search in the Edit View Scheme dialog (Step 4) instead of in the Customize Current View dialog.  The Sort in the Edit View Scheme is honored by Theater View and overrides any Customize Current View settings.

[li]Ability to define view settings for each view scheme 'column' in theatre view [list / thumbnails / folder thumbnails (if appropriate)][/li]
[li]Ability to turn off the "all" groupings[/li]
[li]Keyboard shortcuts for everything so that remote control users (using Girder) don't have to press loads of buttons to acheive things - for example going straight to Audio / Photos / TV or for playing / adding files etc.[/li][/list]

I agree on these (though I'd personally never turn off the All).  You can do some of what you want with the Keyboard shortcuts request by using Automation options.  For example:
Code: [Select]
c:\windows\system32\MC11.exe /MCC 10013,1Jumps you to Playing now.

Other ideas that would be nice...
  • Make folder thumbnails scroll through their contents when selected (like library browser)
  • A 'tile' type view where album titles and artist (for example) could be displayed to the right of a thumbnail (currently having the text below each thumbnail doesn't give much space for the text)
  • Animation (like when selecting something for example)
  • Ability to give thumbnail pics to TV stations and also to link somehow to TV listings for each individual station somehow (within theatre view)

Yep all those things would be very nice too. 

I also posted some requests for improved PVR functionality in this thread.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

interbeat

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 02:26:47 pm »

You can.  Just put the Sort in the Search in the Edit View Scheme dialog (Step 4) instead of in the Customize Current View dialog.  The Sort in the Edit View Scheme is honored by Theater View and overrides any Customize Current View settings.

I know that file lists can be sorted in this way, but what I'm trying to achieve is to have my albums sorted chronologically, but everything else as it is now (genre and artist alphabetically, file list by track number). I wasn't aware this was currently possible? If it is could you suggest what should go in the Edit View Scheme dialog, thanks.

I agree on these (though I'd personally never turn off the All).  You can do some of what you want with the Keyboard shortcuts request by using Automation options.  For example:

Code: [Select]
c:\windows\system32\MC11.exe /MCC 10013,1
Jumps you to Playing now.

This is great - thanks for pointing me in the automation direction - there quite a lot of commands I can use (not having to wait for v12 because v11 actually does what you want it to is really great!)

:)

Ed.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 02:29:46 pm »

*The ability to go back to normal view instead of fullscreen at any time.
*Some sort of busy icon when web pages are doing something like
the waving windows flag in IE. 
*The ability to move backwards and forwards by clicking in the Menu Caption where it says
'Home > Audio' etc...
*A method of getting back to other applications without pressing Full Screen First?!
*The ability to move the display panel and make it around 50% of theatre view rather
than switch to full screen. (Especially for media play back of Images)
*An optional Scroll bar? 
*More reliable mouse scrolling
*A theatre view Visualisation Studio, as this doesn't fit at present
*A method to get back from FullScreen to Theatre quickly
*Some Swizzy Animations like Windows Media Center Edition
*Configurable Theatre View Skins (Ie be able to change the basic back colour or something)
*Skins which match Media Centers other skins.... ie thunderbolt etc
*Theatre view in the skin Manager
*Double Clicking would do something useful

I'm posting now cuz my computer isn't to reliable at the mo!

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 06:08:15 pm »

Here are the main ones for me...

1. The ability to save Playing Nows as proper Playlists. 
2. The ability to move items up and down the list in Playing Now
3. An option to control how items are added to Playing Now. Ie, if I hit Play on a song, the whole album shouldn't be added. This should only occur if I hit play at the album level.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 05:54:34 am »

*Pressing Full Screen on a Webpage would make it go FullScreen, not black...
*Media Center Chat Room
*Media Servers menu

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 08:37:33 am »

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up