INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what mp3player to get to use Replay Gain  (Read 3564 times)

twherreman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
what mp3player to get to use Replay Gain
« on: May 27, 2005, 01:02:48 pm »

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting an mp3 player but it's really important to me that it minds the Replay gain volume adjustment as analyzed by MC. I also want it to display the title and artist rather than whatever the filename.mp3 is.
What also matters is that it's impossible or very laborious to get stuff OUT of the mp3player. This is in case it has to temporary leave my hands. I don't want it to be possible to copy my music off my mp3player.
Thanks
Tine

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: what mp3player to get to use Replay Gain
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 01:23:41 pm »

Tine,

Probably an iPod then although to get it to mind the Replay Gain exactly more work must be done. What we have now works but is not totally precise. I have tested the changes to improve this and they work, it is a matter of doing the work and then  folding it into a release at some point.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 10:08:36 am »

Because very few mp3 players support ReplayGain, here is what I suggest.

If you have enough hard drive space, copy your files to a separate directory.  Then run the MP3Gain program which can be downloaded from http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

I use a level of 92 to avoid the volume level being too low on the portable.  Transfer your files to the portable, and they will play at similar volume.

If you are constantly moving files on and off the portable, this is not a good solution.  But if you have a high capacity portable, say 20gb or more, then it works better because the first mass transfer will take care of most of your music.  Periodically, you can add new music after copying and applying MP3Gain, then transferring those tracks.

The big advantage is that you are not limited to using only an iPod.  Any player that supports MP3 (which is everything) will work.  Therefore, you can consider players from Creative and Dell and others which can save you money over an iPod. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 10:53:33 am »

Because very few mp3 players support ReplayGain, here is what I suggest.

If you have enough hard drive space, copy your files to a separate directory.  Then run the MP3Gain program which can be downloaded from http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

I use a level of 92 to avoid the volume level being too low on the portable.  Transfer your files to the portable, and they will play at similar volume. ...

I don't use HD players at the moment, but I have used the same system for making MP3 CDs for my portables and car.

First I gather the files to a playlist. Because I use many file formats I copy (and convert if needed) the playlist contents to a temporally folder for burning. In my case this system seems to work better than directly using the "Burn MP3 disc" option. After I have copied the files I run MP3Gain. At that stage I can also choose between the album gain and track gain options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:12:03 pm »

Good suggestions.

Thanks for posting some options for devices other than iPod, Alex and BullishDad.

Steve

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 03:20:33 pm »

I'm still using MC10 and synced all my tracks to iPod with apply Replay Gain turned on. When I listened, the songs were all quite different volumes. Is there anything I need to do? Should MC be losslessly adjusting the mp3 files while transferring to the iPod, like mp3gain does, or will it only work when file conversion is on? What does Sound Check on the iPod do? Any tips anyone?

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 04:01:54 pm »

Were the files already on iPod when you synched? That will not work. What should work is if you have files that are not on iPod and then you sync them with Replay Gain turned on, the files should go to iPod with an internal adjustment that is not in the tag to level the playback. It is not perfect and if you continue to have large volume differences, it could be caused if your files have very different gain levels in MC.  If this is the case, please post the range that you have.

File conversion does not need to be on.

Sound Check uese the gain level in the file tag and is not implemented by MC at this time.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 05:18:30 pm »

The values mostly vary between -18db and 0db. The iPod was empty when I synced it. I just did a long car journey with the iPod and was constantly reaching for the volume. I'll do some tests under more controlled conditions and report back.
Incidentally, I'm still using MC 10.0.149. Has the iPod replay gain handling changed since then?

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 09:20:26 am »

Yes, it has been modified in MC 11 but will be reworked in 12 to be more precise by utilizing the combination of Replay Gain and the iPod Sound Check feature.

Pages: [1]   Go Up