INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11: Cover art changes in build 286  (Read 9893 times)

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Alpha/Betatester
MC11: Cover art changes in build 286
« on: June 08, 2005, 06:45:01 pm »

thnx nice feature

next to file folder.jpg is my favourite !
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC11: Cover art changes in build 286
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 07:54:16 pm »

The new cover art options seem flexible, but there no longer seems to be an option to just have them inside the files.  Is this the way it works now?  Using previous builds, all of my cover art images are inside the files and the "Image File" field shows Inside File.  There were very few jpg cover art files.  With the current build and with the "Store Images in Tags also" checked, the "Image File" field defaults to the jpg file instead of Inside File and creates additional jpg files.  It's hard to even tell if the tag has an image file in it, even if the jpg is deleted.  The "also" in the checkbox implies that jpgs must be created, but is there a reason that the jpgs are needed if cover art is stored inside the file?

-J

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:28:24 pm »

Could someone give a brief explanation of the options for Track Images Location Rules for us dense people.

1. In Specific Folder
2. Next To File (folder.jpg)
3. Next To File ([Artist] - [Album].jpg)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:28:19 am »

I don't have 286 yet but it sounds straight-forward to me.  This is what i expect it means:

1.  In a folder you nominate
2.  Named Folder.jpg in the same folder as the file
3.  Named [Artist] - [Album] in the same folder as the file.
JLee

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 12:35:56 am »

For those of us that use folder.jpg the cover art change is nice but what I'd really like is the ability for folder.jpg to be moved with the files during rename files from properties (without cover art being imported into the library).
JLee

LedZep

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 03:55:01 am »

Hello,

before I upgrade to.286 I would definitely like to know wether the images are still stored inside the files.
I couldn't go without it, because I want to use the files on my Archos Jukebox, wich displays the pictures which are stored inside.

Cheers
LedZep

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 04:03:21 am »

before I upgrade to.286 I would definitely like to know wether the images are still stored inside the files...

You could upgrade and try with a few test files. Backup your library first. You could even make a new empty test library for checking this out.

If it has any problems it is important that you report here. You can always downgrade to .285 if needed while waiting for fixes.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:03:53 am »

before I upgrade to.286 I would definitely like to know wether the images are still stored inside the files.
I couldn't go without it, because I want to use the files on my Archos Jukebox, wich displays the pictures which are stored inside.

Cheers
LedZep

Yes, you can still optionally store cover art inside files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 07:54:34 am »

Is there a reason to create the jpgs also if you are storing within all the files?   If so, should jpgs be created for the 1000s of mp3s I already have in my library that show "Inside File"?

-J

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 07:55:08 am »

The changes are excellent. Thanks.

I have used the "Next to File [Artist] - [Album].jpg" system for a long time and asked for it a couple of times. Great to see it implemented at last.

I have some cover art files in GIF format. Do they work with the new system? How about TIFF, BMP and PNG?

The URL option in the "Paste From Clipboard (Image or URL)" right-click item is a clever idea. It makes downloading cover art images from websites much easier and automatically renames the image files. Just what was needed.

Though, there is one thing that could work better. Image > Add From File starts from the previously used folder. That is useful only if all images are in the same folder. From now on it should start from the file folder or from the cover art folder depending on what is selected in the Track Images Location options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

edbro

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 08:42:51 am »

Yes, you can still optionally store cover art inside files.
How do you do this? I have checked "Store images in tags also" but it doesn't seem to store art in the files. When I check the tag info it shows the image file to be on my hard disk and not "inside file". To check if it was in the file also, I renamed the file on my hard drive and then MC no longer showed the cover art for that track.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 08:56:36 am »

How do you do this? I have checked "Store images in tags also" but it doesn't seem to store art in the files. When I check the tag info it shows the image file to be on my hard disk and not "inside file". To check if it was in the file also, I renamed the file on my hard drive and then MC no longer showed the cover art for that track.

It is still saving in the tag.

However, for clarity, we'll change this to be more like the old system in the next build:
Changed: Like in 285 and before, when saving cover art internally MC will show "Inside File" for the file's image instead of the external location.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 12:00:17 pm »

One folder.jpg/or folder.bmp etc.
With import also to the correct album assigns?

with new albums I had to make that always by hand so far
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 02:54:46 pm »

Great thanks!

Could we now change album art search to use 'Various Artists' for sound tracks and compilations? Pleeeeeese.

Regards

Vic

LonWar

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 03:33:22 pm »

However, for clarity, we'll change this to be more like the old system in the next build:
Changed: Like in 285 and before, when saving cover art internally MC will show "Inside File" for the file's image instead of the external location.

Thanks, I was a little confused this morning......    :-[
-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 04:41:15 pm »

Quote from: risingdamp on Thu  9.06.2005, 08:35
For those of us that use folder.jpg the cover art change is nice but what I'd really like is the ability for folder.jpg to be moved with the files during rename files from properties (without cover art being imported into the library).

This is what stops me from using this method . . . gets a bit messy with all the folders left behind with only a .jpg in them when you use "Rename Files Form Properties"
IMHO a bit of a flaw in the system

I have always used "[artist] - [album]" images in the file folder, but I also import and tag the cover art images. I give them usually at least the Artist, Album, Name, Year and Genre tags. Imported and tagged images can be easily played, searched, selected, moved and deleted together with the music files.

Actually, an option for importing the new covert art images automatically would be nice since I do it anyway.

In this thread I explained the complete system I have used (including the back, CD, inlay, etc images):  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22841.0

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 07:54:02 pm »

This is what stops me from using this method . . . gets a bit messy with all the folders left behind with only a .jpg in them when you use "Rename Files Form Properties"
IMHO a bit of a flaw in the system
Are people moving files that often?

LonWar

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 08:02:28 pm »

MC is NOT saving cover art in the file tags as directed in Options . . .  the tags indicate the Directory Address of my Cover Art folder rather than "Inside File" as the tags had previously shown.

Hi Lisa, This is a responce form Matt on this.

Posted on: Today at 09:56:36 AMPosted by: Matt 
Insert Quote
Quote from: edbro on Today at 09:42:51 AM

-

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 08:48:52 pm »

Is MC 11.286 still using the "(Multiple Artists) - [Album]" parameter for things like soundtracks ?  I moved a bunch of my album art today, and have found a lot of them aren't quick finding the way they used to.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 05:34:17 am »

The changes are excellent. Thanks.

I have used the "Next to File [Artist] - [Album].jpg" system for a long time and asked for it a couple of times. Great to see it implemented at last.

I have some cover art files in GIF format. Do they work with the new system? How about TIFF, BMP and PNG?

The URL option in the "Paste From Clipboard (Image or URL)" right-click item is a clever idea. It makes downloading cover art images from websites much easier and automatically renames the image files. Just what was needed.

Though, there is one thing that could work better. Image > Add From File starts from the previously used folder. That is useful only if all images are in the same folder. From now on it should start from the file folder or from the cover art folder depending on what is selected in the Track Images Location options.

I tested the other formats. It seems MC can use at least the mentioned GIF, TIFF, BMP and PNG formats. However, MC incorrectly changes the filename extensions to .jpg when it renames the files using the [Artist] - [Album] or "folder" rules. Internally the files continue to work after that, but of course the files should have correct names.

Also, I noticed that MC unnecessarily converts the other formats to JPG if the images are coming from the clipboard (image data or URL). It uses quite heavy compression and the resulting quality is poor in fine details. Since MC can show the other formats it should convert the images only if the image files are going to be placed inside the file tags (for compatibility reasons).

Though, perhaps the "folder.jpg" option should continue to use the JPG format and convert if necessary if that is a standard. Is it?

EDIT

"Add From File" shows by default only the files of type JPG, GIF or BMP. It could show the TIFF and PNG images too since these file formats can be used if the extension mask is passed.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 07:02:29 am »

The cover art part of ADDiCT's post from the MC 11.0.290 release thread:

The new functionality for storing album thumbnails next to the actual files is very nice - especially for people like me, that are also using XBMC (XBox Media Center) for playback - thanks for that functionality!

But, there's still some issues:
- How am i supposed to move my 1600+ images, that are currently located in a single directory, to the new location(s)? By hand?! Is it possible to create a "fix album art location"-function inside MC?

- When moving / renaming files, the corresponding "Folder.jpg" is not moved along, leaving both an empty directory with the "Folder.jpg"-file in it, and a broken link to the image file in the mp3's tags (as the link still points to "Folder.jpg", which is in the old folder).

- It's good that MC is now using "High" compression for JPG's added via Clipboard / Internet, but i would prefer an option to not have the files compressed by MC at all. Nearly all images i already have, or get via the internet, are already in JPG format, so there's not really a need to re-compress them. ...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 08:24:06 am »

- How am i supposed to move my 1600+ images, that are currently located in a single directory, to the new location(s)? By hand?! Is it possible to create a "fix album art location"-function inside MC?

King Sparta has made a plug-in for moving and renaming the cover art files. I don't know if it works with the current builds.

- When moving / renaming files, the corresponding "Folder.jpg" is not moved along, leaving both an empty directory with the "Folder.jpg"-file in it, and a broken link to the image file in the mp3's tags (as the link still points to "Folder.jpg", which is in the old folder).

As I wrote earlier I have imported and tagged my covert art images. I move them together with the music files using the same tools.

- It's good that MC is now using "High" compression for JPG's added via Clipboard / Internet, but i would prefer an option to not have the files compressed by MC at all. Nearly all images i already have, or get via the internet, are already in JPG format, so there's not really a need to re-compress them. ...

I hope MC uses JPEG compression only for the decompressed image data on the clipboard. I would be stupid to decompress and recompress the URL or local files and further lower the quality.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 09:03:47 am »

I hope MC uses JPEG compression only for the decompressed image data on the clipboard. I would be stupid to decompress and recompress the URL or local files and further lower the quality.

JPEGs are left intact.  Other formats are converted to JPEG.

So, it's an exact copy if you use a URL to a JPEG.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 06:17:44 pm »

Alex B: Thanks for this tip, but i regard this as a workaround for a non-perfect function. I will try out this solution, although it means much more work from the user side when working with the library.

Matt: I just did a test with MC 11.0.290. I copied the URL of an Amazon.com cover art image into the clipboard, and saved the exact same image to hd (the image is in JPG format). Result: the two files are different - obviously, MC _IS_ re-compressing images added via an URL.

dcwebman

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 07:54:36 am »

King Sparta has made a plug-in for moving and renaming the cover art files. I don't know if it works with the current builds.

Unfortunately, it only moves from the cover art folder to folder.jpg files. I had previously requested the ability to keep the same filename (artist - album) but it never made it into the plug-in. Now that the functionality of near artist - album is now in MC, perhaps King can make an update.
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 08:30:01 am »

Alex B: Thanks for this tip, but i regard this as a workaround for a non-perfect function. I will try out this solution, although it means much more work from the user side when working with the library.

Actually, I do even more work. Did you notice this:
In this thread I explained the complete system I have used (including the back, CD, inlay, etc images):  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22841.0

I am not saying it's a solution for everyone. It's just what I have done since the image functions were added to MC9.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2005, 08:37:29 am »

Unfortunately, it only moves from the cover art folder to folder.jpg files. I had previously requested the ability to keep the same filename (artist - album) but it never made it into the plug-in. Now that the functionality of near artist - album is now in MC, perhaps King can make an update.

If you link a cover art file manually MC offers to move and rename the file if the "Next to file" option is selected. Even though that works only for one album at a time it makes relocating a bit easier.

dcwebman

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 08:47:19 am »

I'm hesitant to change from the cover art folder to the "next to file" option. Somehow I would occasionally lose my cover art images. I went manually through all my images and copied them next to their files so there would be a backup of the image, just in case it was lost in the cover art folder. Yeah, I know I could simply do a backup of the cover art folder but that would require me to remember to back up everytime I made a cover change. After 23 years working with PC's, I still haven't been able to get into doing regular backups!  :-\
Jeff

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 08:08:42 am »

So, what's the deal? I'm not going through the hassle of upgrading to 11 if cover art won't be preserved in the actual files. And it needs to be correctly applied to the song files going forward. It sounds as if this is not working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up