INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clarification on updating MC10 to MC11 procedure.  (Read 1380 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Clarification on updating MC10 to MC11 procedure.
« on: July 04, 2005, 06:41:37 am »

I realize that this type of question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the specific answer to one aspect of this subject in my searches, and I want to be completely clear on this before proceding.

I'm updating MC10 to MC11 -- MC10 is already installed on the system and is registered.  I know that this is necessary in order to get the upgrade price, but I'm unclear about one of the "uninstall" options when doing the MC11 installation.  The installation "recommends" that I uninstall MC10 first, and the dialogue box has two options: "Remove all Media Center registry entries" (checked by default) and "Remove Media Center library files" (NOT checked by default.)

Underneath the second option is the statement "For complete unistall only.  Do not check if upgrading."  My question is whether this statement applies to BOTH of the uninstall options, or just to the second one, under which it appears.  I'm just not certain how to interpret this.  I saw an official post saying "Notes:  When you install MC11, the program will recommend that you uninstall MC10.  A backup of your data is advisable before uninstalling."  This does not clarify the sitatution for me, and one of the threads dealing with this quesiton was called "obsolete" a while back, so I'm not sure if the situation has changed since then.

The bottom line question is; when upgrading MC10 to MC11 (meaning you want the upgrade price), and assuming you want to REPLACE MC10 with MC11 (i.e. you don't want both on the system at the same time) do you let the MC11 installer uninstall MC10, and if so, what effect do each of the uninstall options have on the result?

Thanks for clarification on this, and please forgive my remaining confusion on this given that it has been talked about before,

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Clarification on updating MC10 to MC11 procedure.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 07:48:31 am »

Check this thread again: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914

During the thread I tested upgrading from MJ8 and all MC versions. My findings and instructions are in this post:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914.msg194327#msg194327
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 08:06:20 am »

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the information in that thread is somewhat contradictory depending on which post you read, and it doesn't really "line up" with what I'm seeing in the MC11 installer.  For example, one post says that uninstalling "does not remove registry entries," but the MC11 installer specifically gives the option to "remove all registry entries" from MC10.  This of course leaves me confused.  On one hand it appears that the license information remains on the system when MC10 is uninstalled, on the other hand it does not mention the "remove all registry entries" option in the latest version of the MC11 installer, so I'm unclear if the first statement applies to the latest version of MC11.

A simple question would be:  When the MC11 installer offers to uninstall all registry entries from MC10, does this include the license info, or does the license remain even after the other registry entries are removed?

Regarding the list of different upgrades, this doesn't really address the idea of getting the upgrade price -- i.e. it talks about upgrading from various different versions to MC11, but it doesn't take about how the various steps effect the process of getting the upgrade price.

Sorry to be so "nit picky" about this, but I'm trying to avoid any potential headaches during the upgrade, so I want to make sure I fully know what to expect.

Thanks again for clarification on this,

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 08:42:55 am »

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the information in that thread is somewhat contradictory depending on which post you read, and it doesn't really "line up" with what I'm seeing in the MC11 installer.  For example, one post says that uninstalling "does not remove registry entries," but the MC11 installer specifically gives the option to "remove all registry entries" from MC10.  This of course leaves me confused.  On one hand it appears that the license information remains on the system when MC10 is uninstalled, on the other hand it does not mention the "remove all registry entries" option in the latest version of the MC11 installer, so I'm unclear if the first statement applies to the latest version of MC11.

I was the only one who actually tested. I didn't write anything without testing it.

A simple question would be:  When the MC11 installer offers to uninstall all registry entries from MC10, does this include the license info, or does the license remain even after the other registry entries are removed?

In any case, the MJ8, MC9, MC9.1, MC10, MC11 uninstallers or MC11 installer don't remove the previous registration information of MJ/MC versions from the Windows Registry. MC11 looks solely for that information when it checks the upgrade entitlement.

Regarding the list of different upgrades, this doesn't really address the idea of getting the upgrade price -- i.e. it talks about upgrading from various different versions to MC11, but it doesn't take about how the various steps effect the process of getting the upgrade price.

You will get the upgrade price if you have previously registered MC10. The installer options do not alter that. My test result is here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914.msg193650#msg193650

Sorry to be so "nit picky" about this, but I'm trying to avoid any potential headaches during the upgrade, so I want to make sure I fully know what to expect.

I tried to lessen people's potential headaches with my instructions. This is not official, but I think following the instructions I gave will save you headaches.

Thanks again for clarification on this,

Larry

You're welcome,

Alex
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up