INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center ripping quality?  (Read 1945 times)

tokyopimp

Media Center ripping quality?
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:31:48 pm »

Ok, I've searched the forums, and I've found a few threads regarding ripping quality. But in general I would like to know what people think of the overall quailty of rips specificly compard to EAC.

I am a long time EAC user, but would like to start using something new and something that also really has all the bells and whistles for media playback.

I am sort of sick of using EAC, and from downloading the trial of this media player, it seems like the player I've been looking for. It's got the media managment of itunes and others, but with a tighter interface and more features.

I've ripped countless CDs with EAC, and I don't plan on re-ripping them. But for all future rips will Media Center fit the bill?

Thanks for any feedback? And if I missed a thread that specificly addresses this, then sorry for my n00bness.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center ripping quality?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 05:58:06 pm »

I've never used any kind of "secure" or verified mode for ripping, in MC or in previous apps.  Is this something to be concerned about?  I don't notice any dropouts or any other artifacting, and I would have thought that cd ripping would be pretty easy, especially compared to burning.  But I want the stuff right, even if I have to do it all over again (for the fourth time).  Is there any sort of knowledgebase on this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 06:11:17 pm »

The secure mode is good if the CDs are not flawless. It is not nice to find out afterwards when listening to the music that some tracks have clicks or dropouts.

The important thing is that MC will let you know when an occasional problem CD is too damaged for proper error correction. Then it is possible to try EAC too and find out which program can handle the CD better.

In my opinion MC's secure ripping mode is probably technically on par with EAC. MC does not have as many options as EAC, but in its simplicity MC's secure ripping is good enough for normal usage.

The secure mode and logging options are here:
Tools > Options > Devices > Advanced Ripping Options
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 06:26:16 pm »

About a year ago or so there was some testing of several player/rippers. As I remember EAC and MC were far above the others and virtually equall with some very minor variances between the two- nothing you could hear.

J River's goal has been to provide us with the highest quality player/ripper with the most powerful organizing capabilities. I believe they have succeded.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 02:24:16 am »

Secure rip, secure rip... Where is that?
I always used an external encoder but I would love to try this one. Is it the MP3-encoder option, mentioned in the list of encoders?

And while we're on the subject: is it possible to have all cd-tracks NOT marked as "to be ripped"? Every time when I just want to rip just one track from a cd I have to un-mark all the other tracks but I can't find a default-setting for that.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

lambert282

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 02:28:24 am »

And while we're on the subject: is it possible to have all cd-tracks NOT marked as "to be ripped"? Every time when I just want to rip just one track from a cd I have to un-mark all the other tracks but I can't find a default-setting for that.

It definitely needs a select/deselect all button.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 11:16:59 am »

Secure rip, secure rip... Where is that?
I always used an external encoder but I would love to try this one. Is it the MP3-encoder option, mentioned in the list of encoders? ...

Is this not clear?

The secure mode is good if the CDs are not flawless. It is not nice to find out afterwards when listening to the music that some tracks have clicks or dropouts.

The important thing is that MC will let you know when an occasional problem CD is too damaged for proper error correction. Then it is possible to try EAC too and find out which program can handle the CD better.

In my opinion MC's secure ripping mode is probably technically on par with EAC. MC does not have as many options as EAC, but in its simplicity MC's secure ripping is good enough for normal usage.

The secure mode and logging options are here:
Tools > Options > Devices > Advanced Ripping Options

Secure ripping has nothing to do with the selected compression format. It happens before encoding at the first stage when the uncompressed audio data is extracted from the CDs.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 02:03:00 am »

Cheers, thanks!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios
Pages: [1]   Go Up