INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-channel support (5.1, 7.1, etc.) for WAV and WMA files.  (Read 3201 times)

Branxx

• Recent member

Any more information how does this feaure work. What exactly is new or improved in MC11vs. MC10?

I have a lot of DTS encoded WAVs and WMAs and both AC3 and DTS decoders installed on my PC and I can't hear anything new in MC11 that was not there in MC10.

MC10 is working nicely when connected via SPDIF to external decoder. MC11 work that way as well.

Branxx

• Recent member
Re: Multi-channel support (5.1, 7.1, etc.) for WAV and WMA files.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:54:55 pm »

Anyone?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 06:02:23 pm »

AFAIK, WMA multichannel support means MS proprietary Windows Media Multichannel format, not DTS or DD. I don't know what multichannel WAV means. Certainly it does not mean DTS encoded 16/44.1 wave files. It can be a typo. Perhaps it means multichannel WMV video files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 08:59:50 am »

Every new release of MC11 has this feature lsited under "New or Improved in MC 11"

I am trying for figure out what exactly is new or improved in this respect in MC11.

Is it possible to play multichannel music directly from MC11 (using multi-channel audio card and AC3/DTs codecs)? So far from version 9 onwards this has only been possible by using SPDIF connection to external decoder, althoght the same multichannel formats wwere playable from MC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 09:29:43 am »

If the music file is in a container format that MC sends to DirectX engine it is quite possible and has been a long time. The decoded output format depends on the decoding software installed. For example, AC3filter can decode DD and DTS files and use the 5.1 analog outputs.

DTS wave files look like normal 2-channel wave audio files and MC tries to decode them internally (if not passed through), which naturally does not work.

In this thread I explained how Matroska containers can be used: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26055.0

I have not tried the advertised multi-channel support. I think it means a better integration with the Windows Media codec allowing multi-channel WMA to be recognized and decoded correctly.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:29:54 pm »

Can someone from JRiver comment on how MC handles multichannel WAV files in particular?  Is it possible to get multichannel PCM output through s/pdif?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP
Pages: [1]   Go Up