INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum  (Read 77098 times)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
Re: Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2005, 05:17:22 pm »

Audio analysis plug-in architecture

An API could be created in order to write plug-ins that analyze a sample stream and calculate advanced audio analysis parameters.
The sample stream to be analyzed could be Y-split into multiple paths and sent to different analysis modules, that the user would activate and deactivate at will. The average user would choose just to analyze the standard parameters (reply gain, peak level, intensity, BPM), and this would be the default choice. The advanced user would choose additional (installable) analysis modules, that would populate additional database fields (and consume more CPU power).
The audio analysis modules could also extract a waveform profile (like a .pk file in CoolEdit/Adobe Audition) and beat markers. This way, beat markers won’t need to be extracted in real-time during playback, and they would then be editable in Media Editor.

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2005, 01:46:54 am »

My biggest wants:
- Direct support for WASAPI in Vista, should work like ASIO and allow me to specify directly what channels on the hardware get the audio, and achieve low latency.  This will eliminate the need for ASIO4ALL as many people are using now, which has its own issues.

- 64 bit native build for win2k3/xp/Vista.  Let's get out of WOW64 and back into a more predictable CPU schedule.

- Method to decouple browsing/searching from playback!  In iTunes, there's a mode where it randomly plays tracks, and you can modify that playlist (such as "Playing Now" in MC).  So, I'm playing, then I start browsing, and want to queue up a track to play next.  If I double-click, it starts randomly playing based on what's on the screen.  I would like to be able to change the default to have double-click send to the next spot on Playing Now, so I can continue browsing and queueing, but if I don't queue enough, it goes back into random from my entire collection.

- Offline library sync'ing.  I primarily rip at home, listen at work, and carry files back and forth on an external drive.  To preserve playlists and get faster browsing, I am adding the files on the external drive to the library on the work PC, rather than using it as a "portable" device and waiting for a few minutes to read all the tags.  I'd like a more reliable method of syncing the two libraries, and files, even if its one-way.

- Multithreaded ripping / burning.  If I have multiple drives, I should be able to do X burns and Y rips simultaneously
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter

josher777

« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2005, 07:40:43 am »

since i went wireless, i've been forced (not really!) to use itunes to make use of the airport express i got to plug into my stereo. whilst the airport is excellent, itunes is simply pants compared to media center, so please, please, please make mc12 able to use the airport express, so i can remove itunes from my pc!

i see that Jon Lech Johansen has written some app to allow mpeg4 files to be streamed to the airport (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/5481.cfm). i hope his start can be media center's grand finalle!

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2005, 11:26:47 am »

I'm sure that MC 12 will bring us many features that are going to surprise me and make me happy. But there is only one, really just one real wish. I posted it a few times and I'm going to repeat it now:

a) MC should stop writing the name of it and the version number in the tagframe

b)In case of ID3v2 there should be a small field where i can define in wich frame a value should be placed when i create a new field. For example: TSST for "set subtitle", TDRL for "release time".  In short: full support of ID3v2 standard ( www.id3.org )

c)Apetag support for MP3 files.

That's all! There is nothing more i wish!  I would even pay price that is three times higher than now. ;D

ofacuseh

• Recent member
Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2005, 12:01:25 pm »

Hi everybody!!
Is it possible, or does exist? to add a pitch slide bar to change the speed of the songs, and possible to save the speed of each song you select separate from the rest.
 ?
Also in the library browser(i like it so much) when you mouse over the artist cover art and start changing album covers, the particular album you want is the one that will play when you select play, and to show the album name next to the artist name when the cover art album is changing!!

MC is the best!!
thnx

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2005, 01:53:49 pm »

Beat/measure/section markers and measure:beat time display

Media Editor could be used to edit marker positions, tag them also as measure or section markers and, when needed, run beat detection again.
When beat detection and measure detection has been completed, the playback engine could use that data in order to synchronize lyrics and chord display.

lockeness

• Recent member
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2005, 10:33:38 pm »

I heavily use the server feature and would like to see some improvements:

- ability to update library from client (mentioned a million times, but for a reason)
- ability to burn cd's, dvd's and sync ipod from client

Besides that, I would like to have a default type of rating field (1-5) that has the stars in the display like the normal rating.  I have requested this several times and honestly don't know why its so hard.  I have a rating field for the album, for my wife's song rating and my wife's album ratings, and they are all just 1-5.

Finally, i'd like to see the ability to transfer an actual smartplaylist to the ipod, like itunes will do.

Thanks

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2005, 11:41:31 am »

Synchronized lyrics and chord display

When the beat/measure/section markers are defined in an audio file, lyrics and chords would automagically be in sync with audio. Think about Text and Lyrics events in MIDI files. A single lyrics event for each lyrics line would be enough. There is no need of a lyrics event for each note (this would be oriented towards karaoke).
This is an idea for a new format that integrates audio with song structure information and lyrics/chord information. There could even be a consumer-oriented marked for such additional information. And music producers could provide their records with beat/measure/section and lyrics/chord information in them as a bonus.

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2005, 03:25:18 pm »

I second this! A big plus would be to finally have charts over your music like in the real world, instead of the now very limited "number of plays" and "Last played" fields.
Then you could view dynamic charts like:
top nn each week/month/year/custom date

The current system only allows you to see when a song was last played because of the non-relational db.

It would be like an offline last.fm experience with more functionality!

Did I mention that if JRiver implements a relational DB, you could have a similar feature like in WMP that let you use songs played at different hours and weekdays. For instance, you could select songs played by night, Monday mornings and Finally Friday. Awsome!

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2005, 01:13:46 pm »

Visualizations

JR could add some technical-oriented visualizations, that can be activated simultaneously. They are not intended to replace or integrate standard visualizations, that remain for pure aesthetic pleasure and entertainment purposes.
- Oscilloscope, with amplitude scale that can be labelled in dB, percent, sample value
- Spectrum Analyzer, with log or linear frequency scale and amplitude scale in dB
- The log scale spectrum analyzer could have a musical keyboard under the frequency scale, with pitches aligned to the correct frequency. The highest energy peaks could brighten the corresponding keyboard key and display its name.
There are two products that suggested me this visualization: Transcribe! http://www.seventhstring.com/, a tool that helps people transcribing the musical score to an audio track, and MuseOn http://dbhovel.com/Extras/MuseOn.aspx, a plug-in for Windows Media Player (only) that does (approximate) note and chord detection in real time
- Output level meter, that can respond as a VU meter, PPM, K-System/RMS (see http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule_id=11/pmdmode=fullscreen/pageadder_page_id=59 on the Digital Domain site for a discussion of K-System)
- The output level meter could display the average track level (reply gain) and peak level on its side, when the audio track has these audio analysis information already calculated
- The output level meter could become red when a “digital over” is detected, that is, an arbitrary number of consecutive samples with maximum amplitude is reproduced; the user would have to click on the red lights to reset them
- Optionally the output level meter can show the output dB SPL level from the speaker system (it is dependent from the analog knob positions on the amplifier and requires human calibration). One could add “presets” that remind the user of the position of the knobs used (classical music, pop music, reference, etc…)
- A blinking light in sync with beat markers, that would blink in a different colour when the measure changes
- DJ-oriented scrolling waveform display with beat markers highlighted. The scrolling waveform visualization should not draw by directly sending a long sequence of dot coordinates to the GUI, but should prepare a bitmap image in background and refresh that image to the screen, in order to have a smoother scroll effect. I guess that using DirectX would make the display even smoother.
- Scrolling spectrogram

punkbot

• Recent member
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2005, 12:10:46 am »

(echoing some previous wishes...)

1. Built-in support for ripped DVDs stored and played off the hard disk.  I'd be nice to have these natively displayed/managed/etc. as DVDs not VOB files.

2. A first class TV experience like a MythTV or MS MCE.  Especially for a TV guide like feature.  Even keep the TV as is and build a native guide, recorder and schedule.  That Pig plug-in is just that.

3. iPod Shuffle support

4. Non-MC-specific streaming server and client.  Meaning I could listen to my MC12 collection via Rhythmbox on Linux without mounting a share and importing my library again into another app.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2005, 03:03:57 pm »

Multiple simultaneous encodings and management of multiple versions of the same file

The user could encode different version of the same file at the same time: one lossless copy for computer use, one lossy copy for quick transfer to portable players. Logically, they all would be a single item. When changing tags on one file, they would change on all associated files.

Crayola Boy

• Recent member
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2005, 12:55:11 am »

I would like an easy way to see my top artist/song/album charts without having to use an external program.

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2005, 10:13:30 am »

Here's what I'd Like To See in MC12:

MC to be able to rip DVD's Like You can With CD's

In video library, it would be nice to be able to see a movies cover art, click on it and be able to see a synopsis, & cast info.

A cast info field.

MC to allow some sort of tagging, or file association for video files so that when streamed on the server, clients can view the cover art, notes and artist (i use this field for cast info)

Better more accurate importing of video files.

When converting files, Mc dosen't currently delete the old file. it should or atl least ther should be that option.

Faster Ripping & encoding.

More functionality for Clients using the Media Server. being able to burn cd's, sync portable players, and Edit playlists (The new edited playlist should only be saved on the client it was made on, the playlist on the server stays as is, unless new playlist is exported to it)

Have a way to export MP3's to portable players at the same volume.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2005, 08:36:02 am »

Theater view is kind of useless as a HTPC frontend in my opinion. At least put the library browser in there, too hard to browse the library with the current Theather view. Maybe it would be better to let some other frontend like Mediaportal (or windows MCE  ) use MC as a engine or connect to a MC media server. Maybe JRiver should develop this as a separate app/frontend that connects to a MC server(Port this to windows mobile or linux and we could have MC on phones or (cheap)powerful media recivers)?
UNQUOTE

I can only second what runemail said quite a while ago. Theaterview is falling miles behind other front ends and this is becoming a serious shortfall of MC11 because its not really great to use as a frontend on a large plasma in the living room and do all your media browsing/search with remote control from the sofa.

b

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2005, 11:03:48 am »

Enhanced Notes and Lyrics editing

Notes and Lyrics should be editable in a real text editor, not in an almost unusable tiny text field.
Lyrics display could be in sync with audio (when the beat/measure/section metadata structure has been extracted), with each lyrics line being associated to a certain beat.
Chord display could be in sync with audio as well.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2005, 11:24:41 am »

Notes and Lyrics should be editable in a real text editor, not in an almost unusable tiny text field.
Hear, hear!
Sue

CampbellR66

• Recent member
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2005, 07:18:04 am »

Here goes with the wish list.

There is a market out there for a good solid device independant media server.

the UPnP server should be developed further.
1) Run as a service.
2) Support multiple device profiles with specific filters ie music to music only media adaptors.
3) Provide a collection container to serve a sequence of file as a single stream as per the Phillips and Pinnacle servers, a bit like an auto playlist i guess.
4) Provide parental controls and access via the UPnP server based on MC meta data setup.
5) Stability and performance enhancements.

The Media Centre should in my view..
1) Include a UPnP AV control point to access other servers.
2) Include a UPnP AV Renderer to play content from UPNP media server.
3) Improve the meta data editor to make it easier for dunces like me to build catalogs and views of video collections.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2005, 12:49:17 pm »

I heavily use the server feature and would like to see some improvements:

- ability to update library from client (mentioned a million times, but for a reason)
- ability to burn cd's, dvd's and sync ipod from client

Ditto (but substitute generic handheld where the word ipod appears).

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2005, 03:45:12 pm »

Better DirectX plug-in support

Support for DirectX visualization plug-ins, with a faster refresh rate. DirectX visualizations are currently unusable.
DXi instruments should not be initialized (only DX effects), as they make the start-up of Media Center awfully slow.
(Actually that was an MC10 behaviour, I haven’t tried that in MC11 yet)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2005, 11:42:41 pm »

Please add vertical split views like this:

The benefits are obvious (you would think).

Would this be difficult to implement (it would be worth it either way ;))?

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Marty3d

« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2005, 06:01:23 pm »

Have we talked about wizards yet? Well... I've always thought MC could (and should) be more user friendly.

For example: Earlier today, I bought a new harddrive where I wanted all my media stored, instead of scattered all over three different discs (the files are building up serious storage space real quick these days).
So as an experienced MC user, I used find/replace on filename path to change the location of my files. But after doing this for the fourth time, I'm still nervous about doing this the wrong way.

Wouldn't it be better if I could use a wizard for this operation, perhaps found in a place called "Manage library"?
Step 1: Select files or old location
Step 2: Select new location
Step 3: Preview result
Step 4: Execute operation

Since it might get complicated with peoples different personal preferences, Step 1 and 2 could implement some easy-to-use mini-wizard for building the paths, like the rules in "Rename from tags".

Well, just ranting, hopefully something good came out :)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2005, 08:05:50 pm »

Marty3d-

Highlite the files you want then right click >> library tools >> rename file from properties.

From there just change the base path and you are good to go.   Back up your library before, just in case.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2005, 10:20:24 am »

DJ features

Two completely independent playback engines (A/B), with pitch change and beat sync (using previously extracted beat markers metadata), with separate outputs, mixed output with A/B fader, and phones output. An analog DJ would do everything with just two turntables. A digital DJ would add a third, simpler, playback engine, with its output routed just to phones, to preview tracks to be loaded in the standard engines.
Tracks in a playlist would be alternatively played by playback engines A and B.
A-B looping. Loop points can be set on the fly or stored as meta-tags (metadata).
Thanks to its superior library organization capabilities, Media Center would become the ultimate DJ tool.
DJ features would be disabled by default, and the user would see one standard playback engine, without looping and pitch change functions. DJ features would be enabled only by advanced users needing them.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2005, 10:50:06 pm »

My short wish list.

1. Add a "Add to playing now" option to the CD insert pop up window. Without this option it's sort of a 'now or never' world. I like later sometimes.

2. Give us the option to add a Library Browser button to the toolbar. I use the browser much more than the actual media library and would love a one-click button to access it.

3. Some sort of pop-up tool tip in the library browser that would have more information on what is in that genre, artist, etc. I would especially love this in the album listings. Most of my music is classical with such illuminating album titles as "Symphony No. 5" with no idea if that's by Beethoven or Shostakovich, or... If I add the composer to the album title then all I see is the composer's name with perhaps three other letters. Album art often isn't all that illuminting to me.

I'm thinking that in Genre the pop-up could list artists or albums. Under artists you could pop-up a list of available albums while albums could pop-up the artist name and a list of file.s

If these ideas have been mentioned before, forgive me. If it can already be done, let me know how.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2005, 02:38:22 pm »

Meta-tagging

Meta-tags (or meta-data, information about data) really seem the next step in A/V systems, both professional (BWF, OMFI) and end-user (MPEG-7).
Support could be added in MC for meta-tags, that are associated to a specific position in and audio file. In addition to beat/measure/section, meta-tags could indicate an emotionally intense passage, the use of a certain arrangement, the resemblance to another audio track and so on. Meta-tags could link to other meta-tags, and the user should be able to quickly navigate between meta-tags.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »

Meta-tagging

Meta-tags (or meta-data, information about data) really seem the next step in A/V systems, both professional (BWF, OMFI) and end-user (MPEG-7).
Support could be added in MC for meta-tags, that are associated to a specific position in and audio file. In addition to beat/measure/section, meta-tags could indicate an emotionally intense passage, the use of a certain arrangement, the resemblance to another audio track and so on. Meta-tags could link to other meta-tags, and the user should be able to quickly navigate between meta-tags.

This is kind of confusing and seems like several different requests.  What do you mean by "Meta-tags could link to other meta-tags, and the user should be able to quickly navigate between meta-tags."?

Sartre

• Recent member
Re: Idea: MC12 Requests and Forum (Exclusive)
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2005, 07:44:28 pm »

I'd like to see the tree replaced with something else... Tabs maybe?

The tree design just seems outdated compared to the rest of MC.

Yes. Please get rid of that facacta tree. That's one of the main reasons I don't use Windows Media Player. I like the flat design of iTunes better, even with the nested playlists.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2005, 02:41:57 pm »

This is kind of confusing and seems like several different requests.  What do you mean by "Meta-tags could link to other meta-tags, and the user should be able to quickly navigate between meta-tags."?

Yes, I actually wrote the post about meta-data in several sections at different times, so it may be somewhat confusing. I think it deservers some more explanation.

First of all: what is meta-data? It is "information about data". For audio: song sections (verse/chorus/bridge), lyrics, chords. For video: foreground and background description, information about camera motion. Both the professional and the consumer market are beginning to consider the addition of meta-data to audio/video content. For the consumer market, the issue is addressed by the MPEG-7 standard. One may guess that, if the concept of meta-data catches on (you never know...), future media players will all have support for meta-data.

On my side, it all started with some requests of mine to be implemented in MC in order to suit my desires (I cannot say needs because MC is an entertainment product after all). I wished to have song sections marked  (verse/chorus/bridge), and to have section:measure:beat markers (in addition to the more trivial lyrics and chords). I called these "meta-tags". They were intended just to have a more "active" musical experience: not only listening, but being able to follow the song structure at a glance. I thought that was only an amateur musician wish. But, with some further searching, I found out that the concept of  meta-tags is far more extended, and more general forms of meta-data can be added to audio/video content. Meta-data can be attached to video as well as to audio files. The most trivial meta-data that can be added to video are subtitles, but the range of video meta-data is so wide that, for example, a video scene could be explained by a speech synthesized to blind people.

What do I mean by “link” meta-tags and “navigate” between related tags?

I was thinking about a generic “marker” that could be added to audio track to identify, for example, a certain passage or a certain chord sequence. If you have the same passage (or chord sequence) in several tracks, it is natural to “link” similar markers, in order to quickly jump between them. So you can audition the similar passages in a quick sequence.

While most players will probably support meta-data and meta-tags, MC could gain a competitive advantage by introducing links and correlation between tags.

MC, with its database, is already adding a minimal set of meta-data about media files. So I think it would be natural for such a product to extend its meta-data handling capabilities.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2005, 04:48:26 pm »

So now I understand what you are asking for.  Im not sure actually obtaining this data is possible or if there woudl be a martket.  I know there are sound analysers out there but how accurate to be able to describe insturments, specific notes,  passages etc. is possible?  If MC included and organised this data, that would be sweet but I don't know how many others would use that.  Are there any programs out there that can 'create' this metadata?

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2005, 05:10:14 pm »

Im not sure actually obtaining this data is possible or if there woudl be a martket.  I know there are sound analysers out there but how accurate to be able to describe insturments, specific notes,  passages etc. is possible?

I think there could be a market for meta-data, otherwise there would be no development of standards like MPEG-7.

The kind of meta-data I am interested in (meta-tags showing song structure and section:measure:beat) can be automatically extracted, however. In MC, this could be handled by additional "plug-in" audio analisys modules, another feature I suggested.

As an example of the possible application of meta-data and meta-tags, I will suggest two experimental projects.

The first, SmartMusicKIOSK http://staff.aist.go.jp/m.goto/SmartMusicKIOSK/, is an advanced listening station, designed to be used in record shops. The user can see the the structure of the song, and navigate among the various song sections. Its creator, Dr. Masataka Goto,  has developed an algorithm that detects the song structure with a 70-80% accuracy.

The second, the Glass Engine http://www.philipglass.com/glassengine/, in an experimental site by IBM, in which you can navigate the music of Philip Glass. Music is classified according to several dimensions (velocity, year, album title, atmosphere, intensity, ...), you navigate in one dimension and all other dimensions get updated accordingly.

Warning: the Glass Engine is written in Java, and does not work under the Opera browser. I had to use Internet Explorer, and it does not always work even under this platform.

yajoros

« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2005, 11:33:56 am »

When i switched over to MC from winamp, although I was very happy with MC, there were a few things I really missed, so here they are:
1. the ability to immediately refresh the media library when new files are added, without having to go through the import media process
2. global hotkeys to control playback even when window is not in focus
3. ability to add a tree that actually represents the folder structure

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2005, 12:10:44 pm »

"3. ability to add a tree that actually represents the folder structure "

Go to the tree view > audio > disk location

yajoros

« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2005, 07:59:13 pm »

hey, cool. only two requests now.

xsivfun1

• Recent member
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2005, 01:37:23 pm »

I use MC as an all in one file organizer for Music, Images, Movies, and Data.  I seems to me that most of the energy is put into music play/organization functionality, and rightly so.  Especially given its roots to Jukebox (I think that was what it is called).  However, I would like to see some time spent enhancing the functionality of the other parts of MC's core competency.  To wit:

Data enhancements:
  Can MC12 finally import *.zip?  I have a workaround, but it would be very nice.
   I am proable the only one who would also like to be able to track files like .dbf, .pst, .qbk, so could MC12 allow you to add your own extentions to catalogue? 
  Global Filters set in another place than the top screen area (see music enhancements for more on this).
  File preview would be nice.
  Could MC12 report date installed and version in a more automatic fashion?  A tough one, perhaps, but very, very helpful.

Video enhancements
  Can MC12 catalogue DVD's and VHS with as little manual data loading as possible (for DVD's primarily I suppose) in the same way that it does CD's today.  Specifically, I invision a process modeled after the way CD audio is handled today where you put in the title, and MC copies the info available from the disc and gets anything missing or incorrect from the internet.  Then, and without massive data to your computer, it should retain all the information even when the disc is ejected.  I realize it would play them.  Aside from the obvious benefit of knowing what was in your library, you could track what was borrowed and loaned out easier.  You could select a title to watch right from the TV (once loaded or copied to computer via Media Server.
  You should also be able to just enter the title and or director and have it search for more info for you.
  You should also be able to catalogue your own personal Home Movies burned to DVD or CD.

Image enhancements
  Duplicate image help!!!!
  Launch (your app here) to do image corrections or whatever. 
  I haven't gotten to this feature too much as music and movies take all my time right now, so I don't know all that I need yet. 

Music enhancements
   Can MC12 do a better job or use a different music database to retrieve info from than the YBBD or whatever.  Sony uses CDBB or whatever and gets far more Cd info.  This is only a problem for Various artist mixes, Special orders from Europe/Japan and in the cases of TV specials like TimeLive and Rollingstones "super hits" collections.
   Can MC12 let you set a filter/mask, and then let you do the rest as is normal.  this would save space at the top for other filters/masks.  For instance, I have taken great pains to go through all 12k+ songs I have and seperate them firstly into one of three buckets: A Sides, B sides, and unheard (modeling the old 45's).  That way I can catalogue all music, but organize only what I want/know/like by drilling down with other "filters" such as Genre, Gender, Tempo, and so on.  I haven't fooled with advanced expressions yet because I found them not entirely intuitive and last I read, they were buggy and labled as "use at own risk" or something like that.  But, I admit I am not on this site as often as I like, so if that is the best way to set a global filter, then I am sorry for wasting your time.
   Duplicate file management - help delete those already there. 
   Duplicate file management -  option to tell MC to report the album name and artist info (duration, bitrate too?) of any file about to be ripped  that matches a file already in your library.  In the case of a match, you should be able to write over the existing fiile or rename it as well as skip it. 
   In the case of songs that say "remix or *mix after the title, I would like to have auto tagging done.  This would be based on parameters I would define in options.  I am invisioning something like an email function where emails from certain senders or with certain subjets and/or keywords get automatically filed into what ever folder you specify. 

I have more ideas, but these are mose pressing.  As I have always said, this is the greatest and one of my two most valuable programs.  I preach MC to everyone I know.  Thank you!

xsivfun1
Thx,

1 xsivfun1

Rubberduck

« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2005, 12:17:28 pm »

@Database: YES, definitely I would also like to have the album handling function mentioned above (associate a song to multiple albums with different track numbers, cover art, etc).

@ID3 tags: I think whatever possible should be stored there, because that way it can be moved to other locations. In particular this is multiple genres and multiple artists (like WMP does it). This is definitely a feature I would like to have... and actually the reason I did not purchase MC10 or 11 after the trial periode.

@handhelds: some handheld players do not display songs according to the ID3 tags but use folder structures. MC should be able to copy files to handhelds and building folder structures (like WMP10 does it). Really I am no friend of MS products and WMP but since there are features which MC is missing this should tell you even more how strongly missing they are...  ;D

other good ideas:
* theater view enhancements (please try out the search functions and you know what I mean...)
* enhancements to the ripping functions (different profiles) and different profiles for different handhelds (formats, quality, etc.)
* replacement of the menu tree

with these features I would think twice to recommend MC as the best player/manager for MP3s I ever got to know...

Rubberduck

« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2005, 12:40:21 pm »

What I forgot:

@cover art: I hate to say this, but WMP does a way better job then MC when it comes to find cover art on the internet... can this be improved?

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2005, 02:05:13 am »

My request would be multiple choice lookups from YADB when organizing mp3s. That is, choosing from a list of albums to match to the current selection of tracks, then choosing which tracks to match with which.

The way this would work comes from another thread I posted:

Lookups are needed when tracks are freshly ripped - this is the easy part - or in my case where I'm re-organizing a large collection of mp3s, already with some good tags in them and rather disorganised - this is the hard part.

Let's say we had a lookup tool that does the internet lookup, then presents the user with options and allows track and album mapping in various ways before committing the changes to the user's library, writing the mp3 tags, and, if there's new information, re-synching it with the online database.

Basically you select your tracks, start the lookup tool, and your tracks come up on a right-side list, underneath search fields (which should probably default to the current album or artist, if known)

The search produces a list of albums (or tracks.) Double click on one of the items in the list, and the track(s) from that item then fill the left-side fields next to the mp3 tracks you have already selected from your collection in the right-side fields. You can re-sort the right side list, re-order it by moving tracks up or down, match them to the left side tracks by manually clicking, or by matching substrings in all the titles at once, or by matching track order all at once. You can exclude selected fields from being replaced. You can go back to your lookup-search results list, to try out a different entry that may better suit your preferences (typing, naming conventions, level of information, whatever).

When happy, click the commit button and this does what you've set up in the options, for example:
-writing id3 tags with the new info
-updating YADB with the info (this could be especially useful since the data may now be a mix of what was previously in YADB plus local user edits)
-running the MC file renamer with its template

I've had mostly dud seeks to YADB, mainly because of the messy tags and album info already in my files. Also, I need to see the original album lined up with my list of tracks side by side.

The other problem is the lack of multiple choice in the MC-YADB solution. In my circumstances I've had to pick between several releases of an album, or several freedb submissions of the same CD, to get the right data and in the formatting that I like. I can't do this with MC and YADB, even though I would like to. That's why I've had to use the Wen Software Music Library program to make freedb queries, though it's been slow getting MC to load the updates.

This also makes me want to request linkage to multiple databases. If we had multiple-choice matching, and the ability to mix choices, exclude tags while matching, then submit the corrected data both to the user's library and the online database, this would basically amount to a free synchronization service for YADB with other databases. There shouldn't be a legal problem for JRiver if there was an option to include freedb searches since it's just people submitting the data as usual, just with more information at their disposal.

The main issue, though, is being able to see a list of returned albums from YADB and making a manual selection and do track matching.

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2005, 08:05:49 pm »

Another request for the tree views

Have the tree view under Library-Audio-DiskLocation and the tree view under DisksAndDevices behave consistently with each other. They both should provide correct refresh after file moves, correct refresh after LibraryTools-Rename operations, consistent MC Explorer file drag and drop.

And Right-Click on a folder in either tree view, Update/ImportToLibrary to see external changes to tags, pathnames or filenames.

Currently, the DiskLocation tree doesn't have the Update/Import option, doesn't support drag and drop,  and doesn't refresh even when Rename ops are initiated from a folder selected within it. It also collapses in response to updates and changes in the Drives and Devices tree instead of just refreshing.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2005, 04:15:59 am »

Horizontal slide bar for the left part of the browser (tree view), please. If I have 3-4 subfolders, then selecting the last one will take up way too much spase on the left side. Slide bar would take care of this.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2005, 04:40:24 pm »

An option to minimize to the mini view would be nice.

I'd also like the search for album art during a 'get from file' search to automatically start in the folder containing the music files.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2005, 07:52:12 pm »

Adobe Bridge lets you rate images on the fly using the "Ctrl+1-5" keyboard shortcuts. This would be SO cool, if we could have the same in MC. (Or even better, move the mouse, or click on an image, and the current rating appears over the top of it for you to change).

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2005, 06:33:14 pm »

Hi again - it would be nice if Split Views and other interesting arrangements of window panes could be stored as saved layouts, maybe with a few presets.

and when the tree view is visible, I'd like to lock which window pane responds to the tree view, because I seem to be clicking in all 3 windows and forgetting which is the one I clicked on last before clicking in the tree view again (makes me lose the Playing Now view)
Perhaps saved layouts could lock the window relationships.

jgreen

« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2005, 07:57:36 pm »

Bopz, I agree with you, and I applaud your dogged persistence!  Please note that you are on page 5 of the feature request thread, and jriver has yet to implement a single one.

IMO, the GUI is too flexible, and tends to get away from one.  This also appplies to viewing Playing Now in split views.  Playing Now ought to be immune from searches, and there should be a button to make it  sticky, so it doesn't disappear on you.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2005, 08:11:17 pm »

When running the tivo server how 'bout showing the album art on the TiVo screen?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2005, 10:38:40 pm »

JRiver needs to work out a deal with these guys http://www.musicpictures.com/ for the now playing slideshow option.  I'd be fine with it if they got rid of the not for reproduction message but kept their logo in the corner and maybe had a link below the image to go and purchase the photo.  Maybe it could be streamed in MC and we couldn't download unless we purchased.  This would be sweet.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2005, 03:53:26 am »

Support for the creation writing to Image Files.

More flexibility to load different audio and video codecs, rather than rely on plug-ins.

Jon

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2005, 08:32:21 am »

This might be a bit of a wild idea...
but what I'd like to be able to do is save all my settings
online to JRiver.Com
obviously for the security fanatics it would not be a default option..
however I'd so like my settings to follow me where ever I go
so that MC is set up just how I like it where ever I go.
If I'd reinstalled my OS it would be no worry cuz i'd
just log on and MC would be ready to go,
the benefits of an Internet Application without
requiring a 100mbit connection
 :)

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2005, 11:24:07 am »

In addition to suggesting a feature, I wonder if this would be useful to anyone but me....

2 things:

1) Imagine collapsible folders within a playlist.  Different from playlist folders in that the folders could be moved as a unit in the playlist.  For example if you had an album in the playlist, you could colapse it and in the playlist you would see the name of the album and the playing time of the album rather than 10 individual tracks.  Within it you could change the order of the tracks, and also move the group around in the playlist.  A sort of nonlinear playlisting (sort of).

and

2) For me it would be very useful if track information could span two (or three) rows in a view.  Perhaps Name Artist Genre ... on the first line and comments, bpm, duration... on the second.  Could also be collapseable but not necessary.  I love that I can store so much info in MC, I just wish I could see it all at once without scrolling on my 12.1 inch screen.

Also does anyone know if these things can be done with plugins (whether or not they are developed yet)?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben

dvdr

• Recent member
Search function in Theatre view
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2005, 01:25:13 am »

Hi
right now, when in theatre view (my default view for a 8" Touchscreen), there is no real search function.
For example, I would love to only search artists, A to Z, first letters of artist's name, then display the results or search on with second letter A to Z and so on. That would be a fast and easy way to access the desired album
Same with album search and title search..

Right now, the theatre view search ends up displaying letter combinations also within the title, for example searching for the combo "eas" could get you "love don't come EASy" or "The flEA Sits on my dog" and not ONLY "EASy lover", which is not very helpful in theatre view.

Actually, I would love to see that already working in version 11....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up