INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files not imported show up in smartlist  (Read 4478 times)

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
Files not imported show up in smartlist
« on: August 13, 2005, 10:17:59 am »

I'm getting files that are not imported showing up in smartlists!  I don't know how MC knows they're there, except that I have browsed those files using MC.  I'm also getting files that are on my Nomad Jukebox showing up too - what's going on?!
 ?

This combined with my 'Broken Expression Evaluator' post (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29215.0), makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my installation.  I'll try a clean install later; but in the meantime please let me know if you're having the same problem or have a solution for me!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Files not imported show up in smartlist
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 04:39:58 pm »

You didn't mention what search expressions you use.

MC has some additional databases:

Explorer database, search:   ~d=e
Playing Now database, search:   ~d=t
CD database, search:   ~d=c

besides the main database:   ~d=m

There is a deleted files database too, but I don't know a search for it.

This will show all files in all databases:   ~d=a
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

EpF

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 06:17:48 pm »

It was just the MC 'Needs Audio Analysis' list, with a few restrictions of my own:

[media type]=[audio]
-[File Type]=[aif],[apl],[cda],[m4a],[mid],[wav]
-filename=G:\,H:\,Z:\,INCOMPLETE~,NJ,Jukebox
-[keywords]=[full album file]
-[Genre]=[AudioBook],[Comedy],[Documentary],[Language Lesson],[Radio Play],[Spoken Word]
([replay gain]==0 or [peak level]==0 or [bpm]==0 or [intensity]==0)

This version has the exclusions for the Jukebox in it.  Apart from my exclusions it's the same as the original, so it shouldn't need any database exclusions...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 06:52:01 pm »

something must dragging them into the list. double check (and/or post them here) your smartlist searches, if you're honouring any parent searches, remember to check those too.

Alex, interesting that you mention the available databases. I've built a couple of viewschemes around them here. One just for housekeeping and curiosity value, and one highly functional (for me, at least)

This list shows me all the files that have been deleted from the library, but not from disc. Any "missing" files here have been subsequently deleted or moved externally. When I first created this list, there were 1000's of 'missing' files in there.

click for full size image

This list shows me all the files I have on backup disc, retail cd and locally on the HDD. It's not been added to the scheme yet, but there's a "lending" field too that will help me keep track of who's borrowed what ;)
The biggest pain with this scheme is that I have to keep sweeping the cd database for game and application cd's and removing them. I wish it would honour the "don't import previously removed" rule. Still, I find it quite a handy scheme now and again.

click for full size image

-marko.

EpF

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 07:08:49 pm »

double check (and/or post them here) your smartlist searches, if you're honouring any parent searches, remember to check those too.

Marko,
I posted the full smartlist search in my previous post; it has no parent searches.

I was very interested to see your 'deleted' view scheme... I must go experiment!

EpF

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 07:10:15 pm »

Ok, I just experimented; I went through the whole alphabet and all the digits and couldn't get a 'deleted' database!

Spill it, Marko!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 08:00:41 pm »

missed your earlier post. you must have made it while I was compiling my reply. I didn't get the usual board warning. amazing how quickly we come to rely on neat features like that!

thoughts from looking at your searches:

1. you have excluded .cda tracks. this suggests you have imported them into your library. I don't do this, preferring to allow the cd database to take care of those. Do you have mp3 files on removable media that you have also imported into the library? If so, this could cause you problems.

2. you have excluded files whose filename contains INCOMPLETE~. Is the tilde essential? if not, try removing it. It's a long shot, but in searches that use modifiers, such as ~a for full album, parse the entire library, ignoring previous filter rules.
ie. if I specify media type audio, at the start, and ~a at the end, the list will contain image files that have the same album field (cover art sets)

beyond that, I'm a stumped without more info to go on.

re. that deleted items viewscheme... remember, there's not much functional use for it, more curiosity value...

The search wizard has database options under 'modifiers'

Make a playlist group, and add a smartlist for each database.

add a viewscheme to the media library like so...

the first pane is an expression...

You would expect the list to be empty, we've included all databases, then excluded them individually. What's left is the "previously removed" list. Selecting 'deleted' will list those files that have been physically moved or deleted externally from MC.

-marko.

EpF

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 08:17:14 pm »

1. you have excluded .cda tracks. this suggests you have imported them into your library.

2. Is the tilde essential?

1. The .cda exclusion is ancient, from when I didn't know better than to import them!

2. Tried removing the tilde with no effect...  Just thought of something; been having problems with my NJB - maybe it was configured as a removable drive...  Will check.

Thanks for your instructions on the database scheme; I'll set it up tomorrow.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 01:06:57 pm »

add a viewscheme to the media library like so...

This is almost the same solution I have used, except that I made a plain smartlist instead of a viewscheme.

I made those four db smartlists and a fifth smartlist with a similar expression you have used. Initially it found about 5000 ghost files, because I always import by dragging or right-clicking the files or folders. Matt explained some time ago that using the import tool would clear the list if the files don't exist anymore.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 02:34:31 pm »

Interesting. That explains a lot :)
I can't remember the last time I used the import tool.
I do everything using MC's internal explorer. I jump around using a comprehensive list of 'navigational favourites'.

EpF, was it the NJB?

EpF

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 06:37:28 pm »

EpF, was it the NJB?

Well, if I went about the right way of checking, it wasn't the NJB.  Here's what I tried:

1. Tried 'Removable' and 'Removable=[filename]' in the search bar, which produced an empty list.
2. Went to Options>Handheld and reset all devices.  I still got hits from the NJB in my Audio Analysis smartlist.
Quote from: MC Help File:
If your device presents itself as a removable or fixed drive, you can opt to rename it. To do so, when the device is detected, say “no” to the question of whether you want Media Center to recognize it as a Portable Device. Then configure it yourself in the Handheld Options under Tools > Options > Handheld. Select the browse button next to Configure Remote and Fixed Drives for Detection, select Add, and fill in the details, including a new Display Name.
I went to Configure Remote and Fixed Drives for Detection, but there was nothing present.

?, as the tree said to the lumberjack...   
Pages: [1]   Go Up