INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain tags - should be TXXX, not COMM  (Read 1790 times)

dsully

Replay Gain tags - should be TXXX, not COMM
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:51:41 pm »

Media Center appears to write out COMM tags for including it's ReplayGain information. Unfortunately, this isn't a very friendly format for automatically parsing those tags, or simply viewing them in another application.

'COMM' => [
                      'Media Jukebox: Tool NameMedia Center',
                      'Media Jukebox: Tool Version11.0.314',
                      'Media Jukebox: Replay Gain-2.7524500000000001',
                      'Media Jukebox: Peak Level0.43817',
                      'Media Jukebox: Rating5',
                      'Media Jukebox: Intensity4'
                    ],

The tags lend them selves much better to the TXXX keyNULLvalue format that the ID3 spec defines.

I'd like to request that a future version of Media Center use the TXXX tags instead of COMM for this information.

Thanks.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Replay Gain tags - should be TXXX, not COMM
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:19:07 am »

Ok Fine.

what about the rest of ppl who have already analysed and got RG in the COMM tag ?

Re-analysis of many 10s of thousand files !!!!

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:51:42 am »

Ok Fine.

what about the rest of ppl who have already analysed and got RG in the COMM tag ?

Re-analysis of many 10s of thousand files !!!!

That is exactly the reason why i don't say "give us fuul support of ID3v2", but the possibility to decide from field to field if you want to store a tag in the comment-field or to the frame where it belongs by standard.  Once again what i posted here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28958.150

When I create a new field i would like to type in the configuration something like COMm, TXXX(userdefined) or T???(standard frames)

So everybody gets what he wants!

Once again: The tagging is the one and only very poor point of MC and i hope this is going to be changed in MC12 because i need interoperability to other applications! Why should i scan my files two times: one time in MC, the other time in Foobar?? ?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 04:50:23 am »

This might not be too hard on second thoughts. All that is required is they create the standard field and user move/copy field ought to do it.

How to tell the diff between RG (std) & RG (COMM) is the question ?

I guess JRiver were waiting to see how things panned out, even tho there is a std for certain tags it appears that it's not followed very strictly among vendors. Meanwhile they did it the proprietary way.

dsully

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 05:42:06 pm »

Alternatively, MC should use RVA / RVAD / RVA2 tags to store the RG information.

Raysy

• Recent member
  • Enjoy yourself!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 02:26:06 pm »

It would be great  if MC supports all offical ID3-Tag frames from id3.org  ;D - I'm using WCOP (Copyright) and TPE4 (Interpreted, remixed, or otherwise modified by), which are not supported now. The standard of ID3v2 is clearly declared here: http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#sec4.

This might not be too hard on second thoughts. All that is required is they create the standard field and user move/copy field ought to do it.

MC could automatically copy the information from COMM to the correct frame in the tag. It would go fast, because it don't has to analyse the files again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up