INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: embedding jpegs into mp3's  (Read 4816 times)

Marino13

embedding jpegs into mp3's
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:38:57 pm »

I currently rip my cd's to flac using eac. I then create LAME 3.90.3 aps mp3's using foobar 0.8.3. I am in the process of converting the flac files to LAME 3.97 beta 1 -V 2 --vbr-new mp3's. I am thinking about getting an ipod and I am interested in seeing the album cover show up on the display as the songs are playing. I know I could just use a tagging program to insert the album cover into the id3v2 tag. The problem is that I have about 1800 cd's and I would have to do it for each cd.
I am looking for a way to "mass insert" the album cover jpeg's that I have into the mp3's that I am creating. My current setup is that my flac files are saved in F:FLAC\Artist\Album\*.flac. I also have a jpeg of each album cover in F:FLAC\Artist\Album\Artist - Album.jpg. This allows me to see the album cover displayed in the folder window of Explorer.
Does anyone know of a batch file or a way I could just tell it to look in the corresponding flac folder and insert the jpeg from that folder into the id3v2 tag of the mp3 files? My mp3's are at G:\mp3s\Artist\Album\*.mp3. I hope I explained this so you can understand it. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! With more than 22,000 mp3's I know that this would take a long time but it is better than sitting at the computer and doing it manually.

AlexB, you said you might be able to help me in this forum?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: embedding jpegs into mp3's
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 05:30:05 pm »

Welcome! Let's see if I can be of any help.

Besides MC11 you may want to optionally install scthom's FLAC decoder and the LAME 3.97 beta 1 encoder if you like to convert the files with MC11 and LAME v.3.97 (unzip and copy the lame.exe file to the [MC program path]\Plugins folder). For plain image handling you'll need just MC11, but I guess you'd like to try MC11 a bit more.

For getting started you could make a small partial copy of your file library for testing purposes. Import the test files to MC11. MC11 has several ways of importing: The import menu in File > Import Media, right-click menu in the Windows Explorer (the shell integration must be enabled in the MC options) or you can simply drag files and folders to the Media Library pain. The fourth option is to use MC's integrated browser: select > right-click > import files or folders with it.

You may also want to check the program help file for a quick introduction.

At this stage I need to know if you already have duplicated your FLAC library in mp3 format and have the folder structure on your G: drive.

Edit: edited a bit. (BTW, this is the discussion at HA that lead Marino13 here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37734&hl=)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marino13

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 06:52:36 pm »

Yes, I already have the mp3's on my G: drive.  Do you know of a command or batch file utility I can use to do the renaming of the jpeg's to folder.jpg and copy them with the same directory and subdirectory structure?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:04:00 am »

I currently rip my cd's to flac using eac. I then create LAME 3.90.3 aps mp3's using foobar 0.8.3. I am in the process of converting the flac files to LAME 3.97 beta 1 -V 2 --vbr-new mp3's.

Why the shift from LAME 3.90.3 aps to LAME 3.97 beta 1 -V 2 --vbr-new ?

Was under the impression that lame 3.90.3 aps was the best available with mp3. extreme does not offer much.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 02:47:13 am »

Why the shift from LAME 3.90.3 aps to LAME 3.97 beta 1 -V 2 --vbr-new ?

Was under the impression that lame 3.90.3 aps was the best available with mp3. extreme does not offer much.

Check the thread over at HA.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 02:22:04 pm »

Yes, I already have the mp3's on my G: drive.  Do you know of a command or batch file utility I can use to do the renaming of the jpeg's to folder.jpg and copy them with the same directory and subdirectory structure?

MC has all the needed tools integrated. It can handle image files as well as audio files.

Here are my instructions. The correct order is important.

1. Import the image files from your F: drive to MC. Select these options in the import dialog (File > Import Media):

2. After importing select all image files and use the Fill Properties From Filename tool with these options. (Tools > Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename)

3. Select the image files again and use the Copy Disk File tool for copying the files to a temporary folder on the G: drive (Tools > Library Tools > Copy Disk File).

4. Delete the current image files from the library (not from the disk). Select all > right-click > Delete. (This is optional. You can continue using MC for cataloging the images.)

5. Go to the MC options and set the track image options like this. You can alternatively use the Next to file [Folder.jpg] option, but that is not necessary unless you really need Folder.jpg files for some other programs. MC can use both naming systems.

6. Import the MP3 files from the G:\mp3s folder.

7. Import the images from the G:\ImageTemp folder

8. Select the new images and use the Rename Files From Properties tool for moving the files (Tools > Library Tools > Rename Files From Properties). You can optionally tick the Filename option and write "Folder.jpg" there (if you selected this system at 5.)

9. Select all mp3 files and use the Quick Find cover art tool (Tools > Image > Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory).

That's about it. Try this first with a few test files. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marino13

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:01:23 pm »

MC has all the needed tools integrated. It can handle image files as well as audio files.

Here are my instructions. The correct order is important.

1. Import the image files from your F: drive to MC. Select these options in the import dialog (File > Import Media):

2. After importing select all image files and use the Fill Properties From Filename tool with these options. (Tools > Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename)

3. Select the image files again and use the Copy Disk File tool for copying the files to a temporary folder on the G: drive (Tools > Library Tools > Copy Disk File).

4. Delete the current image files from the library (not from the disk). Select all > right-click > Delete. (This is optional. You can continue using MC for cataloging the images.)

5. Go to the MC options and set the track image options like this. You can alternatively use the Next to file [Folder.jpg] option, but that is not necessary unless you really need Folder.jpg files for some other programs. MC can use both naming systems.

6. Import the MP3 files from the G:\mp3s folder.

7. Import the images from the G:\ImageTemp folder

8. Select the new images and use the Rename Files From Properties tool for moving the files (Tools > Library Tools > Rename Files From Properties). You can optionally tick the Filename option and write "Folder.jpg" there (if you selected this system at 5.)

9. Select all mp3 files and use the Quick Find cover art tool (Tools > Image > Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory).

That's about it. Try this first with a few test files. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

AlexB,

Thank you very much.  This works great.  During the process I did notice one problem that I have.  I have many 2CD sets that i seperate this way: F:\FLAC\Artist\Album (Disc 1) and F:\FLAC\Artist\Album (Disc 2).  When I copied the jpeg's to these directories I did not specify disc.  What I mean is, lets say that I have The Beatles "White Album".  Although my directory structure is F:\FLAC\Beatles\White Album (Disc 1) and F:\FLAC\Beatles\White Album (Disc 2) I did not specify disc 1 or disc 2 in my jpeg.  So inside each folder I have a jpeg named "Beatles - White Album".  When I try to copy these to the temporary directory it asks me if I want to overwrite "Beatles - White Album.jpg" because I did not specify disc 1 or disc 2.  No matter if I choose "yes" to overwrite or "no" to not overwrite, I am left with one "Beatles - White Album" jpeg in my temporary folder.  When I use the quick find cover art tool in the last step it writes the jpeg to the disc 1 mp3's but not the disc 2 mp3's.  I hope I am making this clear.  Any thoughts on how to fix this without going in to each individual folder and changing the name of the jpeg?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 04:49:40 am »

You can use the Search function for filtering the displayed files.

Search first for "Disc 1" and process the resulting image files. After that search for the other variants (Disc 2, Disc 3, Disk 1, Disk 2, CD1, etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up