INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem importing playlists  (Read 1519 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problem importing playlists
« on: October 22, 2005, 03:53:57 am »

Hi. When I export a Playing Now playlist to either an .mpl or .m3u and then try to import it again, MC tells me 0 files have been imported. The way I've tried importing is by right-clicking the file (and choosing "Import") and also by command line. Both methods add my new playlist ok but have no files in them. If I just drag the file straight into MC though it plays it fine so it's definately some problem with the import process rather than the file itself.

Any clues?

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problem importing playlists
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:06:30 am »

yeah...

try dragging the playlist file and dropping it onto "media library" in MC's tree.

does that work for you?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:48:10 am »

Yeah drag and drop works fine .....

The problem I have though is when I import previously exported playlists via "MC11.exe /Import"  I get them under "Recently Imported Playlists", but the playlist is empty.

So, if drag and drop of playlists works fine why can't the same result be achieved by MC's other import methods? Is there any chance that this bug could be adressed in 11.1??

Ray
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:07:42 pm »

*bump*
Z-Wave Home Automation

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:34:59 pm »

keep bumping it every so often, or if you start beta testing 11.1, add a link to this thread in your bug reports.

Don't get frustrated. The dev team will be aware of it. I posted about it all through the v11.0 beta testing, and a little attention right at the end left us in the situation we have now. While not ideal, it's enough for me to know how to get desired results from what we have. I don't import playlists of already imported files all that often anyway, and I don't think many others do either else there would have been a furore.

I mostly import m3u's along with the files and then delete the actual file. MC retains the playlist in the tree and keeps it sync'd with any subsequent file changes. If I need an m3u for an external program, I just export it as required.

Now, to your problem...

Invariably, with MC, there are many ways to skin the same cat, so, would an entirely different approach work for you?
How about, instead of going through the "select all files, click file>export playlist, complete the options dialogue, click OK" you try this...

In the action window, click on build playlist, then on create new. use the dialogue to name and place your new playlist.
You should notice that your new playlist is now showing in the action window, empty, and prompting you to drop files.
go to playing now, select all, drag, and drop on the playlist action window.

You have now achieved the same result you appear to desire in your first post. Would that system work for you? If  you need the actual m3u file for some other purpose, you could still use the export playlist tool.

-marko.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:57:57 pm »

Thankyou very much Marko for your reply.

I understand the workaround you've described here but I'm trying to achieve a way of automating these very manual procedures for Theater View using MC11.exe.

What I'd like to be able to do is use scripts (launched via remote) to save a Playing Now playlist to disk and then import it automatically as a uniquely named playlist so that it may be loaded some other time in the future. Theater View currently doesn't permit you to save playlists and the Recent Playing Nows playlist is tedious and can become filled with useless entries after a while.

So what I'm after is for MC11.exe to support the exporting and importing of Playing Nows.

Thanks again for your response.
Z-Wave Home Automation

dcpoppy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 10:04:13 pm »

The drag to Media Library works for me - sort of.  I've got a play list with >2000 entries in it, but when I drag it over, it only shows 131 consistentently without fail.  v. 11.1.86

Anybody else have this problem?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 02:57:35 am »

1st thing I would do would be to open the m3u in a text editor (drop it on notepad) and compare the entries of successful files against unsuccessful files.

Are the paths all correct, formats the same etc. etc.

Also, look to see if there's any connection between the problem, and files that are already imported to the library vs. non-imported files.

let us know what you see.

dcpoppy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 08:28:16 pm »

Turns out the playlist I was trying to reimport was somehow corrupted.  I'm manually rebuilding it.   :(

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up