INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD and TV questions  (Read 1832 times)

theurbanhipster

• Recent member
  • I'm building a pig from a kit!
DVD and TV questions
« on: November 01, 2005, 03:34:40 pm »

Hi folks, I've been away from Media Center for a little while and am now getting back into it. I just downloaded ver. 11 and I have a few questions. (yes I have searched the forums but got frustrated because I'm not exactly sure what to search for)

1) Is it possible to have DVD 6.1/5.1 sound delivered to my 6.1 amplifier from MC and have the amp divide it up between the speakers. I assume I would need a sound card that has a digital or optical output.  which brings me to my next question.

2) Can anyone recommend a cost effective sound card that would be capable of doing this?

3) I have a Pinnacle pro TV card that doesn't seem to work with MC. The last time I played with this was in ver. 10 and somone here pointed me in the direction of a generic driver that made it work in MC. Can this be done with ver. 11 and where can I find that driver again.

4)Is it possible to have MC play the movies/video/visualisations on one monitor (I.E. a projector) and have the controls on a regular touch screen monitor in theater mode? if so how do I do this?
Thanks for your help.
John

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: a gaggle of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 04:51:25 pm »

Hi folks, I've been away from Media Center for a little while and am now getting back into it. I just downloaded ver. 11 and I have a few questions. (yes I have searched the forums but got frustrated because I'm not exactly sure what to search for)

Welcome back!

1) Is it possible to have DVD 6.1/5.1 sound delivered to my 6.1 amplifier from MC and have the amp divide it up between the speakers. I assume I would need a sound card that has a digital or optical output. which brings me to my next question.

Yes. A software codec with a passthrough option is needed besides MC. MC can use e.g. WinDVD or PowerDVD codecs. Also, a freeware codec AC3filter can be used for the audio part. AC3filter is very good for video files with DD/DTS sound.

2) Can anyone recommend a cost effective sound card that would be capable of doing this?

Any good sound card with a digital output will do. For standard audio files a card that can output 44.100 kHz without resampling it to 48.000 kHz would be better. E.g. M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and the external M-Audio Transit USB are good. I have used a Terratec card with great statisfaction. Their current Aureon series is very nice, but I think it's easier to find a good bargain on M-Audio products (if you are in the US). A well-known cheopo alternative is Chaintech 710, but I think it needs some tweaking before everything works flawlessly (I have never tried it).

3) I have a Pinnacle pro TV card that doesn't seem to work with MC. The last time I played with this was in ver. 10 and somone here pointed me in the direction of a generic driver that made it work in MC. Can this be done with ver. 11 and where can I find that driver again.

Was it this driver: http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ ?

4)Is it possible to have MC play the movies/video/visualisations on one monitor (I.E. a projector) and have the controls on a regular touch screen monitor in theater mode? if so how do I do this?

I use that kind of setup all the time, except that I have a 17" LCD screen on a coffee table besides the sofa and I run the standard MC GUI on it. I have never actually tested the Theater View mode. It is designed for lower resolution display devices and I think it uses always the same display device with video and visualizations.

You can access the display options in MC11.0 by right-clicking the main display.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

theurbanhipster

• Recent member
  • I'm building a pig from a kit!
Re: a gaggle of questions
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 07:38:56 am »

Welcome back!

Yes. A software codec with a passthrough option is needed besides MC. MC can use e.g. WinDVD or PowerDVD codecs. Also, a freeware codec AC3filter can be used for the audio part. AC3filter is very good for video files with DD/DTS sound.
I will try this and see how it works for me.

Any good sound card with a digital output will do. For standard audio files a card that can output 44.100 kHz without resampling it to 48.000 kHz would be better. E.g. M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and the external M-Audio Transit USB are good. I have used a Terratec card with great statisfaction. Their current Aureon series is very nice, but I think it's easier to find a good bargain on M-Audio products (if you are in the US). A well-known cheopo alternative is Chaintech 710, but I think it needs some tweaking before everything works flawlessly (I have never tried it).
Gonna do a little searching. I'm sure I have something in my boxes of stuff. If not it looks like a good excuse to go shopping.

Was it this driver: http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ ?
YES! thats it. Thanks!

I use that kind of setup all the time, except that I have a 17" LCD screen on a coffee table besides the sofa and I run the standard MC GUI on it. I have never actually tested the Theater View mode. It is designed for lower resolution display devices and I think it uses always the same display device with video and visualizations.

You can access the display options in MC11.0 by right-clicking the main display.

I guess I'll need to play around with it to see what I can get it to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up