INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod soundcheck  (Read 2661 times)

samplehead

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
iPod soundcheck
« on: December 01, 2005, 03:27:50 am »

So is true iPod "Sound Check" supported in 11.1 or not? (that's my main wishlist item)

Thanks,
Samplehead

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod soundcheck
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 06:11:31 am »

So is true iPod "Sound Check" supported in 11.1 or not? (that's my main wishlist item)

Thanks,
Samplehead

What do you mean by true sound check?

If my files are analyzed and Sound Check is enabled, I get volume levelling.

I think you would need to transfer the files with 11.1 though.
-

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: iPod soundcheck
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 08:41:08 am »

Let me see if I understand this correctly.  If you populate the "Replay Gain" field by using the "Analyze Audio" option under "Library Tools" in MC and then turn on the "Sound Check" option on the iPod, the Sound Check feature will work?  I am assuming that this does not actually change the volume for each track PERMANENTLY?  If I turn off the "Sound Check" option on the iPod the volume on all tracks will return to the way it was before I enabled the feature?  Or does the "Analyze Audio" function change the volume on all tracks permanently?

I hope this males sense.

Thanks,

BD6675

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 11:51:37 am »

I belive it would turn off when you turned off sound check...... I always keep it on,

Steve any idea?
-

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:47:16 pm »

Currently in 11.1 files that are analyzed will populate a field on the iPod that will apply the replay gain when soundcheck is enabled on iPod. When soundcheck is turned off, the files will play at their original sound level.

Yes.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.  If you populate the "Replay Gain" field by using the "Analyze Audio" option under "Library Tools" in MC and then turn on the "Sound Check" option on the iPod, the Sound Check feature will work?

Yes.

I am assuming that this does not actually change the volume for each track PERMANENTLY?

Correct.

If I turn off the "Sound Check" option on the iPod the volume on all tracks will return to the way it was before I enabled the feature?

Yes.

Or does the "Analyze Audio" function change the volume on all tracks permanently?

No.

FYI, For now, if you want to use soundcheck, do not enable any of the other right click volume adjustment options. This will be enhanced and/or removed soon.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:52:36 pm »

Steve,

Thanks again.

BD6675

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 03:30:36 pm »

FYI, For now, if you want to use soundcheck, do not enable any of the other right click volume adjustment options. This will be enhanced and/or removed soon.

In tonight's build....

The iPod right click 'Volume Adjustment' option will allow a volume increase or decrease during playback on iPod if Soundcheck is disabled. When SoundCheck is enabled on iPod, this setting is ignored and the MC Replay Gain value is applied.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 10:44:34 am »

Hey Steve,

Here is a question for you:  after I populate the Replay Gain field in MC and then do a sync with Sound Check enabled should the Replay Gain field on my ipod also populate and remain populated?  The reason I ask is because I had the field populated in MC and then I did a sync and the Replay Gain field populated on my ipod, however, after I unplugged my ipod and then plugged it back in there were "?" for every track on my ipod.  The field was still populated in MC but it did not remain populated on my ipod.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

BD6675

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:23:28 pm »

See also this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30504.0

Here you can read that it is not (yet?) possible to use replay gain in combination with an overall volume adjustment.
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 06:36:23 pm »

Okay, but in the MC view, when looking at the Replay Gain field for the iPod, should the field stay populated after you use the Analyze Audio function and you sync?

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 02:47:54 am »

As far as I think it works, this info will always be there.
It is put in by analyzing the song and can be used by MC or the iPod (by switching on Soundcheck) to play all songs on the same volume level.

My 'problem' is that using Soundcheck reduces the overall level of the volume by somewhat like 25%. It would be handy to adjust this with the Vulome Adjustment. But that does not work if Soundcheck is enabled.
In MC this does work. In the DSP option dialog you can enable Replay Gain and adjust the volume.
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 05:18:44 pm »

Just thought I would revisit this as I am now using ipod again with MC. ;D

With soundcheck on, volume is really low, too low for fm transmitter as others indicate above.  Can in the future, MC add support for overall volume adjustment when soundcheck is turned on?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up