INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filtering out folder.jpg?  (Read 3075 times)

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
Filtering out folder.jpg?
« on: December 22, 2005, 12:18:33 pm »

Is it at all possible to filter an import process so that it doesn't always import all of the folder.jpg files contained in my album folders.

I prefer not to use the option of "Exclude files previously removed from library" because more often than not I run into files that I didn't mean to remove from the library or what have you. I just don't use it so that im assured to get a clean, correct import every time.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Filtering out folder.jpg?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:25:32 pm »

You can untick JPEG in the import dialog.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 12:51:52 pm »

I don't think there's any reason to import them.  We'll add a filter to the next build of MC 11.1.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 12:56:50 pm »

If the image files are imported they can be moved together with the music files in the "All Media" view. In the Audio view they are not visible. MC has no mechanism for moving unimported cover art files (except in Drives & Devices).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 02:07:47 pm »

I don't think there's any reason to import them.  We'll add a filter to the next build of MC 11.1.

I import the folder.jpg files, then tag them with a Genre of "Albumart".
I then highlight the newly imported ones and select resize image.
That way all of my art is a standardized size.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 03:26:35 pm »

I don't think there's any reason to import them.

Well What Happens If You Wanted To View Them In MC, and Or Edit\Delete Them.

If It Is Removed Then Users Would Need To Use Another App To Manage There folder.jpg files.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 04:43:51 pm »

11. Changed: Media Center no longer imports Folder.jpg files.

This seems to be global. They can't be imported by right-clicking in Windows Explorer or Drives & Devices.

How the users are supposed to make mass folder or filename changes including the folder.jpg files now?

For example, what if someone wants to rename all old folder.jpg images with the [Artist] - [Album] rule? Previously I would have adviced to import the images and use the Fill Properties From Filename (Directories) and Rename Files From Properties tools.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 08:57:01 pm »

I prefer to have them imported, so I can sort them by size, and see which ones need larger versions (I prefer 300 x 300).  8)

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 09:52:57 pm »

I give in to the demand, if it's that important to most everyone, then I can live with it.

Maybe there's a way you guys can have it set so that they can be imported manually, but not automatically through the import manager.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 10:41:04 pm »

I'd be ok if it let me drag/drop to import but didn't when you scanned directories.

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 07:06:26 pm »

Could it be set as an option -- a little check box that says "Exclude folder.jpg from the import" or something like that?

Personally, I've never used the image parts of Media Center for anything except for organizing, renaming, and viewing cover art. And all of my image view schemes and 3d visualizations, etc., are all based around cover art ... so being able to import the folder.jpg files, for me, is kinda critical. When I scan my harddrive that's dedicated to media, I want MC to find everything....

However, I could understand that for people using MC to view their normal picture collections-- stuff other than cover art -- then having all the folder.jpg images mixed in with their family photos or whatever could be annoying.... so an optional filter for them would seem ideal, right?

On the other hand, I'd like to argue for even more folder.jpg support -- primarily, I'd like to see these files dynamically linked with/moved with the audio files. For instance, if I'm in an audio view scheme and I use MC to change the name of an album for a bunch of tracks, and then I choose to rename the files based on the new tags/properties, then all of the tracks get properly moved from the old album folder to a new album folder... and MC asks me if I'd like to delete the old folder since it's empty, and I choose "yes." But if I have a folder.jpg file in that folder, the folder.jpg doesn't get moved to the new album folder (because it's album tag wasn't renamed) and thus the folder isn't empty so MC doesn't ask if the folder should be removed... End result: My media directory has hundreds of album folders that contain only a folder.jpg file and nothing else. It's not the end of the world, mind you, but I thought I should mention it while we're on the folder.jpg subject.

(Note: For my normal image files -- other than cover art -- I'm using ACDSee to organize and view pics, IrfanView for editing/conversion that ACDSee can't handle, and Photoshop for advanced edits... Maybe MC has caught up with or surpassed ACDSee's organization, viewing, and basic edit/convert functionality at this point in time, but, regrettably, I wouldn't know, because I've gotten into such a habit over the years of using the other programs for just for pics and MC just for sound and video ... and cover art. But maybe one day I'll see the light... )

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 06:12:37 pm »

What lukecro said...  :)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 07:13:54 am »

i would like to add my bit for having the option to import folder.jpg as i sometimes want to edit, view them.

also, i would like to add my support to the following point:

I'd like to argue for even more folder.jpg support -- primarily, I'd like to see these files dynamically linked with/moved with the audio files. For instance, if I'm in an audio view scheme and I use MC to change the name of an album for a bunch of tracks, and then I choose to rename the files based on the new tags/properties, then all of the tracks get properly moved from the old album folder to a new album folder... and MC asks me if I'd like to delete the old folder since it's empty, and I choose "yes." But if I have a folder.jpg file in that folder, the folder.jpg doesn't get moved to the new album folder (because it's album tag wasn't renamed) and thus the folder isn't empty so MC doesn't ask if the folder should be removed... End result: My media directory has hundreds of album folders that contain only a folder.jpg file and nothing else. It's not the end of the world, mind you, but I thought I should mention it while we're on the folder.jpg subject.

this is a great idea, and one that would make my life easier

nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 05:59:24 am »

It seems that others have reasons. Please reconsider this. One tiny tick box in the advanced import options would do the trick.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 06:12:41 am »

I'd say give an option (checkbox) to import cover art, (according to the other cover art options like naming and placement), if you are also importing jpg files.
It is why I do not import .jpg now, I don't want the image view cluttered with all my cover art.
Yes, I know, I could filter, etc, etc.
I could also just not import them unless there is some additional functionality for cover art.
Pages: [1]   Go Up