INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc # and Tag&Rename question  (Read 2680 times)

larryni

Disc # and Tag&Rename question
« on: January 24, 2006, 04:58:57 am »

Up until now I always tagged multi-disc albums by indicating the disc number in the album tag. Now I've just spotted the Disc# tag in Tag&Rename and used it. I then updated the columns in Media Center to display and sort by disc number. But the numbers won't show in MC unless I enter them again. Is there another field in MC that I am not seeing?!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Disc # and Tag&Rename question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 05:47:40 am »

The developers of Tag&Rename and MC have chosen a different system for writing disc numbers to the tags. The exact format depends on the used file/tag format, but it is not the same in these programs. You can use both systems, but they will be separate.

In MC you may want to check if the field value is stored in the files besides the database: Options > Library > Library Fields > Disc # > Edit > Store in file tags (when possible)

I have used this system for multi-disc albums:

I don't think there is any standard way. Some programs have functions for it, many don't have.

This is the system I mentioned earlier:

I renumber my multi-disc albums, but before that I copy the original track numbers to a custom field and rename the files. If I ever have to change my filing system I'll have all information available.

My reasons are these:

- The standard track numbers are universal, so the files will always play in the correct order with any software player even without a disc number system.

- Also HW players that play tracks in alphabetical filename order can play the files in the correct order. If they can show the filename the disc number is included.

- Inside MC the original disc and track numbering is preserved for possible future use. Also, the filenames contain this info if needed with other programs.

Check this thread out for other opinions: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26024.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

larryni

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:22 am »

Thanks Alex

And there was me thinking tags were standardised ::) Oh well.
I quite like the system you are using, I might adopt that myself. All I need to add is the CD Track #. Is that a custom field?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:02:31 am »

It's a custom field. Here's how I have it setup:

Options > Library > Library Fields > Add

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

larryni

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 08:10:37 am »

Nice one.
Thanks again.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 12:24:42 pm »

I was about to ask a question that was answered by Alex in this thread.

Thanks Alex!  You have the answers before I've even asked the question! ;D

Recently, I ripped a couple of multi-disc CDs and I renumbered the tracks to make it look like one big CD.  So I thought about doing that for all multi-disc CDs in my collection. I was wondering what the cons were, thinking about how the original track numbers would be gone.

Alex's solution to add a "CD Track#" field was perfect.  Now Album Thumbnails will show one image for the set which I like better. Thanks again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 02:25:43 pm »

Recently MC has changed to use the TPOS ID3v2 frame (part of a set) in MP3 files for the disc number tag. This system has wider support between various programs and devices.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 03:08:38 pm »

Recently MC has changed to use the TPOS ID3v2 frame (part of a set) in MP3 files for the disc number tag. This system has wider support between various programs and devices.

I've noticed on some recently ripped CDs that the Disc# field is getting filled.  Is this what you are talking about, or is it something else?

Did this new system cause you to change your organization method as described earlier in the thread?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 05:49:45 pm »

No, I have not changed my system. Especially many HW devices can only use the track number field or the filename for sorting (like my portable and car MP3 CD players).

The change may be useful for those who have devices that support the TPOS tag or have MP3 files that already contain it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up