INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can You Undo Clean File Properties?  (Read 1475 times)

mtschirret

• Recent member
  • "You know how it is...Well, maybe you don't."
Can You Undo Clean File Properties?
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:21:22 pm »

Hi All:

I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but can you undo changes made by using "Clean file properties?"  I used it to move articles to the end of my titles (i.e., 'The Long and Winding Road' is now 'Long and Winding Road, The'.)

I thought I'd prefer this nomenclature, but I can't get used to it...If this cannot be undone, is there any workaround?  I've tried removing the tags, but that did not seem to help...Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thank You,

Michael Tschirret

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can You Undo Clean File Properties?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:24:24 pm »

Currently there's no way built into MC to move an article from the end to the front.  Perhaps in a future version.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:14:07 pm »

Let's try a workaround then:

1. Make two new library fields, named as Filename Backup and Name Backup (Options Library > Library Fields > Add)

2. Make a search with this search string: [Name]=", The"

3. Make a playlist of the found files. Check the playlist and remove the possible files that don't belong in the list.

4. Make the two new fields visible in the new playlist. (View > Customize Current View)

5. Select all playlist files and copy the Filename (name) field to the Filename Backup field (Tools > Library Tools > Move/Copy Fields)

6. Select all playlist files and copy the Name field to the Name Backup field

7. Select all playlist files and use the Find and Replace Library Tool:
Tick only: Name / Find what: , The / Replace:           (this must be empty)

8. Select all playlist files and use the Rename Files From Properties tool:
Directories: untick / Filename: tick / Filename Rule: The [Name]###[Artist] (The ### separator is used because the names are unlikely to contain such a character combination. You can add more fields in the string if needed for avoiding duplicate names.)

9. Select all playlist files and use the Fill Properties From Filename tool:
Directories: untick / Filename: tick / Filename Rule: [Name]###[Artist] (This must be the same as the string in step 8 without the "The " part.)

10. Select all playlist files and use the Rename Files From Properties tool, Directories: untick /
Filename: tick / Filename Rule: [Filename Backup]

- Backup the libarary and try this procedure with a few files first.
- You can make intermediate separate library backups between the stages (just to be sure you can undo the last step)
- The original Name field is stored in the Name Backup field. If you are satisfied with the changed names you can remove both backup fields.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mtschirret

• Recent member
  • "You know how it is...Well, maybe you don't."
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:22:37 pm »

Alex-

You.  Are.  The.  Man! 

Thanks so much, it worked like a charm...This is why I've been using MC since it was MJ; the support is second to none.  Again, my sincere thanks!

Best Regards,

Michael Tschirret
Pages: [1]   Go Up