INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directshow Filter change with MC 11.1.111 Release Candidate  (Read 1844 times)

Pug

• Recent member
Directshow Filter change with MC 11.1.111 Release Candidate
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:55:23 pm »

10. Changed: MC no longer attempts to play MP4 files with DirectShow, but instead always uses QuickTime. (too many buggy mp4 filters)

OH NO! This is bad. I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't want to install the big Quicktime Player to get MP4 playback in MC, since there are faster and smaller ways for that.

What were the problems with DS-Filters?? I'm running here with MP4Splitter by Gabest (Media Player Classic, available at sourceforge) and coreaac without any problem!!

Perhaps it would be a better solution to use not only all mp4 decoder in the system, but only those who are known to work?

I could provide a plugin-pack for MC with those two filters, if there is interest...

Thanks
Pug

P.S. Really hope you're gonna change that back again. Or at least support Quicktime Alternative.. (last time I tried MP4-playback in MC didn't work with that)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Directshow Filter change with MC 11.1.111 Release Candidate
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 05:06:49 pm »

What were the problems with DS-Filters?? I'm running here with MP4Splitter by Gabest (Media Player Classic, available at sourceforge) and coreaac without any problem!!

Problem is with mp4 video.

mp4 can contain many different audio or video format. Your files are aac audio, so you can use coreaac without a problem. When mp4 contains something else, it is too difficult to predict.

You can rename your mp4 audio files to m4a. m4a will be played in DirectShow.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Directshow Filter change with MC 11.1.111 Release Candidate
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »

Problem is with mp4 video.

mp4 can contain many different audio or video format. Your files are aac audio, so you can use coreaac without a problem. When mp4 contains something else, it is too difficult to predict.

You can rename your mp4 audio files to m4a. m4a will be played in DirectShow.

Actually, I would rather send m4v videos to QT and mp4 videos to Direct Show (and not try to grab mp4 back). For example, Nero video codec has compression options that are probably not compatible with QT. The m4v extension was introduced by Apple so it would be natural to send them to QT.

It would go like this:

m4a audio > Direct Show > MC's audio playback engine

m4p protected audio and m4v video > QT

mp4 "whatever" > Direct Show > let Direct Show handle these, don't try to use MC's audio playback engine.

Then the user would be able to control which system is used by changing the extension.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:40:43 pm »

We currently do not grab audio stream from DirectShow if it is part of video playback. We only use MC player engine for pure audio. It's not that we do not want to. There are many issues that need to be sorted out.

The problem with mp4 files is that many of them are video, and some contain video format that is not too common. For example we have seen podcast videos with H264 video format. Quite a few of our computers do not have good decoder filters to handle the format.

This would not be a problem for experienced users who know where to find filters, or at least know to ask questions on this board. A novice user would be discouraged if the program misbehaved when they tried to play a podcast video.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bman001

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 07:03:38 am »

I said it before and I'll say it again.  ffdshow.  It will handle H264 as well as almost anything else.  If JR wants to support DS they should support it completely, and let the user sort out their filters.  It's not hard to do.  If a user is having filter problems they should hit the forums and ask for help, not expect JR to cripple a feature just to keep a few users safe.

CoreAVC is another great H264 filter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up