INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Play/Rip Discs Unless Administrator  (Read 6293 times)

oneklakes

• Recent member
Can't Play/Rip Discs Unless Administrator
« on: February 18, 2006, 12:01:39 am »

Hi:

I can no longer play CDs unless I login as a user with Administrator rights since upgrading to v. 11.1.118.

When I start up MC as a limited user, the drive appears in the left pane and MC can read the tracks when the CD is inserted. However, attempting to play or rip the CD generates the following error message: “Media Center encountered errors when attempting to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to right location.”  In addition, when I click on Tools>Options>CD&DVD Burning: the field for the drive is blank and pressing the “detect” button does not detect the drive.

This problem does not occur if I change the user account to give it Administrator rights. In that case, CDs play and rip normally and the drive shows up properly in the Tools>Options>CD&DVD burning screen.

I have uninstalled v. 11.1.118 and reinstalled 11.1.123 and the problem remains. I have also been able to play CDs using Windows Media Player and DVDs using the VLC player when the account is set up as a limited user.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.
_______

Media Center Registered 11.1.123 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2386 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1046 MB, Free - 700 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A; Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max;  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767;  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 
Burning /  Drive D: BENQ     DVD DD DW1620      Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes;  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes;  Use playback settings: No /

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't Play/Rip Discs Unless Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:23:22 am »

Try opening up write access to the CD burners for all users using this:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/SetBurningRights.exe

Maybe here:  ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp.old/SetBurningRights.exe

This program must be run once from an account with Admin rights. Afterwards, the CD drives will be accessible to all users.

Let us know if this works for you.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

oneklakes

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 01:10:39 pm »

That worked  :)

You're a good man John.

Thanks!

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 11:34:59 pm »

Would you mind sharing what this program actually does?  I am wary of running something that is arbitrarily changing rights on my system, and would like to understand the workaround required.

For reference for other customers, Win2k3 does not have the same issues with non-admin users burning or ripping, and does not require this utility.
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:20:35 am »

This sets the ACL for CDROM type devices to allow device control access by non-admin users. It only affects CD/DVD reader/writer devices.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up