INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [OT] Two drives failed - data recovery experiences  (Read 23399 times)

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
[OT] Two drives failed - data recovery experiences
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:21:29 pm »

I had 166Gb of music, and a backup, both on exteral HDs. Believe it or not, You heard it right my main an backup drives died at the same time (!).

I'm sure people here have had some experiences with data recovery programs. I'm posting this in the hope that somebody has a good recommendation (free programs preferred). I have tried testdisk and spinrite.

The main HD I have is an external (USB) seagate barracuda 250Gb that makes a clicking sound. Spinrite hungs when run on this drive.

TestDisk sees the drive (mounts it under winXP, whereas the OS would not do that), and it could retrieve the data, but the clicking sound makes me think that this is a hardware problem and it may not be advisable to let the disk run.

I have the same data on another HD (300gb).

This one can be seen by the os, but the directory in which I had ~170Gb of music is now broken and I can only see ~ 6 albums. THere was a huge three in the mp3 folder (probably not a good practice). When running chkdsk, I get pages and pages of "File record segment X is unreadable".

It is still reading so I don't know if chkdsk will be able to recover it. In a first pass yesterday, it said that it didn't have enough disk space to fix the problems. So I cleared some stuff and tried again today. Althoughm now that I think of it, it must be in the recycler so maybe the space is not there for chkdsk to work.

Spinrite stalls forever on that disk trying to fix the error with dynadata (!). Time estimation: 300h, not a good solution, as it reads bit by bit even then. Half a day went by with only .0833% advance.

Any recommendations?
Thanks a lot in advance

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: [OT] Lost all my music. Data recovery experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 03:36:45 pm »

You could try a data recovery company. I have had success with this, but it costs mucho $$$s.

Here in Aus, it cost me around $3500 some 6 years ago to get a drive recovered, but I DID get the data back which I needed.

Otherwise I'd say, time to start re-ripping...

One point I would make, although it's probably not such an issue in the US, but here, I'm now careful to NOT buy more than one hard drive from the same place / manufacturer at a time.

The reason is that I was once stung by buying 4 X Seagate drives. Two in one hit, and the other two in another.

At one point (after I had bought the second 80Gb pair thank goodness), BOTH of the first pair of drives failed within one day of each other, leading me to believe that it might have been a "bad batch" or something. Later on one of the second pair also failed. I now no longer buy Seagate, but prefer Western Digital or Maxtor...

I've been paranoid ever since...

Cheers
Rob

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 04:15:04 pm »

Check disk is suprisingly good now a days.  I wouldn't be suprised if it put things
right, esp if the drive is NTFS formatted.

I've thought a couple of times I'd lost everything (Mainly after using Paritition Magic, or using tools not designed for 48bit Block Addressing) and Check disk has put things right. 
Putting things in the recycling bin may not have helped as it may have caused disk activity
as I think the recycling bin is still a compressed folder.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 05:49:37 pm »

Active@ UNDELETE and R-Studio are the best at this in my experience.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 01:21:52 am »

I've thought a couple of times I'd lost everything (Mainly after using Paritition Magic, or using tools not designed for 48bit Block Addressing) and Check disk has put things right. 
Hmm, not noticed this yet, even tho i use 250GB HDs but the partitions on them are 120GB to mirror to older drives easily for backup. The latest version i think is 8.05.

Then Symantec bought them, not sure what version they are at now.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 04:28:49 am »

Hmm, not noticed this yet, even tho i use 250GB HDs but the partitions on them are 120GB to mirror to older drives easily for backup. The latest version i think is 8.05.

Then Symantec bought them, not sure what version they are at now.

I haven't used it for a while (Kinda put me off!)  Version I've got is 8.0, guess they've
fixed it in the new one.
There was defintiley a few ugly moments tho!

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 10:07:06 am »

Ok, I got R-studio working on the drive now. It is creating an image, although most of the drive is unreadable. Doesn't look like it's going to recover much.

I don't think I'll pay big $$$ for the pro data recovery company, if push comes to shove I can rerip in a lossless format...

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 05:34:51 pm »

As long as you have the CDs and shiny new drives, look at it as an excuse to evaluate lossless formats, rethink your naming scheme, and sit back while you re-rip.

Your luck sounds much like mine. I was rearranging drives. I knew I had current backups. I hit the delete key. 15 seconds later, the auto backup kicked in. Did it's job perfectly, everything was erased on the backup drives just like it should...

R-Studio works great when it is simple like that, but I have also used it to recover from bad drives.

Good luck!

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 06:18:33 pm »

As long as yu have the CDs and shiny new drives, look at it as an excuse to evaluate lossless formats, rethink your naming scheme, and sit back while you re-rip.

Your luck sounds much like mine. I was rearranging drives. I knew I had current backups. I hit the delete key. 15 seconds later, the auto backup kicked in. Did it's job perfectly, everything was erased on the backup drives just like it should...

R-Studio works great when it is simple like that, but I have also used it to recover from bad drives.

Good luck!

Worst thing I ever done like that was to buy a brandnew hard drive.
Maxtor 10gb (When 10gb was an unusable amount of space).
I unscrewed the bay on the case which also held the floppy drive, and the old drive.
Screwed the new drive into the bay, then put
 the bay back.  Now because I wanted to clone the existing drive on to
the new one and then remove the old drive, i thought "hell no need to screw
the bay back in, i'll just slot it back in place"....
Famous last words...
Got the computer booted up...
started copying across.
Then forgot what i'd done  and put a floppy disk in the floppy drive, however the last push
to engage didn't push the disk into the drive, it pushed the bay off of the rails.
The bay was at the top of a full size tower case, crashed down to the bottom.
both drives never read another byte of data.
I'm not usually a swearing person...
but I made up for it that day!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:55:03 am »

I had 166Gb of music, and a backup, both on exteral HDs. Believe it or not, You heard it right my main an backup drives died at the same time (!).
..still trying to figure out how the backup dies as well !!!!

..or was it set to sync up like Hammer's.

I knew I had current backups. I hit the delete key. 15 seconds later, the auto backup kicked in. Did it's job perfectly, everything was erased on the backup drives just like it should...
Yet another reason not to trust automatic backups.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 02:07:13 am »

One point I would make, although it's probably not such an issue in the US, but here, I'm now careful to NOT buy more than one hard drive from the same place / manufacturer at a time.
I'm with you re: the time but manufacturer can be tricky depending on the PC  (particularly on older PCs & large HD's) you want to install the drives in. Theory says that you can mix & match any drives you want. I found in practice  if they are all from the same manufacturer they tend to be detected by the BIOs and play together much better than not.

I now no longer buy Seagate, but prefer Western Digital or Maxtor...
Maxtor had a good rep till a few yrs back when i noticed lots of ppl complaining about them. Maxtor's in recent yrs tend to be less heat tolerant. The ones i use are 5yr old 120Gb ones, mainly for backup and removed once done, still working like champs.

I'm currently on all Seagates and don't have any probs to date (knock on wood). When i tried to mix wester digitals in, things got a bit hairy. leading me to go all Seagates.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 04:36:20 am »

I have 4 (!) different external backup devices:

1) Freecom 120GB device with integrated HD
2) 2 external USB2 cases with exchangable 120GB HDD (holding older HDD)
3) 1 LaCie 2 1/2" 80GB HDD.

I rotate between them on a regular basis with two backup cycles: one for docs + images (more frequent) and one for audio + video (less frequent), I also backup docs + images on DVD from time to time.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 09:46:39 am »

One every three months, I write new music to DVD.
Every month, AFTER a checksum compare, I do a backup to a hard drive.

If I add lots of music, I do a monthly then. But as a rule, that's my method not to get caught empty-handed again. I love DVD writers, a pain to get the initial writing done, but to add new stuff is painless.

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 09:59:41 am »

I'm with you re: the time but manufacturer can be tricky depending on the PC  (particularly on older PCs & large HD's) you want to install the drives in. Theory says that you can mix & match any drives you want. I found in practice  if they are all from the same manufacturer they tend to be detected by the BIOs and play together much better than not.
Maxtor had a good rep till a few yrs back when i noticed lots of ppl complaining about them. Maxtor's in recent yrs tend to be less heat tolerant. The ones i use are 5yr old 120Gb ones, mainly for backup and removed once done, still working like champs.

I'm currently on all Seagates and don't have any probs to date (knock on wood). When i tried to mix wester digitals in, things got a bit hairy. leading me to go all Seagates.

I only buy Maxtor.... I have NEVER had problems.....

I have:

2 * 300 gb 16 mb cache
2 * 160 gb 8 mb cache
1 * 300 gb 8 mb cache external
1 * 250 gb 8 mb cache external

The 300's are new, but the 160's are a few years old....
-

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 04:07:38 pm »

Nice, thanks for the answers.
What I did was (1) sotp chkdsk as soon as I learned it does no good (several hours working already  ) and (2) run rtt R-Studio, doing an image of the 300gb disk. It's working fine for now, almost 70gb recovered and it still has 2/3 to go.

The drives were independent. One was "a backup" in the sense that it contained a copy of the other, but no actual backup prog. was used (just the same tree).

The clicking HD was a seagate with 5 years warranty so I just got an RMA and sent it back. The 300gv I'll try to low-level format and use it again. I'll have 3 external HDs, 2 x 250 + 1 x 300. I may go RAID 1 or something similar if that's possible under win.

This reminds me that there is no safety in just having one backup. Also, I'm sure the tree was too big and that taxed the HD. Do you know of any 'good practices' list to keep a HD happy?

Thanks

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 04:16:52 pm »

I only trust seagate drives, i have had other drives and to fix them i revert to diskeeper first, it's amazing what that program can do.

In addition to scheduled defragging, you can also run boot time frags which are awesome and even adjust the drives MTF which keeps it healthy. When these things are done on a regular basis the drive will run much faster.

TC  :)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 04:29:49 pm »

I love it how everyone has different theorys as to
who makes the most reliable hard drive.
I really believe it's down to luck of the batch it came from.

I still love the Hitachi Deathstars because they make the
least amount of noise that I've come across.  My coursemates
tell me I must be mad to trust em, however the first one I bought
is still going strong coming up for five years old
I've had problems with Maxtor.  I've a mate who's seagate died
after a month.
At work I've also seen Fujitsu's and Samsungs go down.
I've not heard of any problems with WD but I'm sure if you look it
up you'll find people that have.

I reckon when you've got a disk spinning at 7200RPM placing data in
the most miniscule of holes, and hundreds of these disks being manufactured every hour
the best manufacturers in the world are gonna produce some that don't work now and then!

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 11:15:07 pm »

When I used to buy 1000s of drives, we refused Western Digital.
IBM (now Hitachi) OEM drives were the best value.
Seagate drives gave us no trouble. Since we dealt with local and LD carriers, reliability was paramount.

I have a 4 year old Seagate in an uncooled USB enclosure. It has bounced from town to town in China and back and forth to the US. Never a glitch.

I recently replaced a friends Maxtor. It was 6 months old.

My systems have all Seagate now, because I am not able to find IBM/Hitachi OEMs for sale here at a good price.

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 05:58:17 pm »

quick update:
all music recovered. thanks to R-studio!

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
Re: [OT] Two drives failed - data recovery experiences
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 08:45:26 am »

quick update:
Glad to hear it.
That's one of those tools you hope you don't need, but want to work well when you do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 08:52:41 am »

quick update:
Wow!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 12:32:33 pm »

I'm sure the tree was too big and that taxed the HD. Do you know of any 'good practices' list to keep a HD happy?
Assuming you were using NTFS, i can't understand why this would affect the HD or its backup for that matter.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 11:28:02 pm »

quick update:

I recovered all lost data on 3 different occasions with R-Studio - great tool!

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:48 am »

My movies drive failed on me this weekend. When i plug it into the laptop (external usb drive) i get the ping pong that windows throws up to tell me something is recognised, but then nothing in the tree at all. When i disconnect it, windows dutifully ping pongs to tell me i've disconnected it. I took the drive out of the case and swapped it with a drive in another case to see if the case was the problem, but the same thing happened. Am I right to assume that the actual hard disk has had it? I guess that there's no way to recover something that doesnt even show up as a device, right?

stuart_tetley

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 01:07:43 pm »

Seems we all have very different experiences on drive reliability.

For me, I had 4 Quantum U160 SCSI drives for a machine with a Newtek Video Toaster in it.  The drives were set up as a 4-drive Raid 0 array (the Toaster loves sustained throughput...)

2 failed in the first month, and a 3rd in the second month.

All were easily replaced in the 5 year warranty, and 2 of the replacements were Maxtor U320 devices (Maxtor had bought Quantum by this point.)

One of the two U320s failed after maybe 6 months. Again replaced under warranty.

As to regular IDE drives, I've used almost every brand out there, and haven't lost one yet.  I did have a laptop drive's partition table hosed by Scandisk (not sure which Windows version.)   I used a program called BPR (Boot/Partition Repair) from a data restoration company called Atlanta Data Services to rescue that one.

Aside from my SCSI experience, almost all the problems I've had were caused by software (registry becoming corrupted, or critical Windows files going bye-bye.)

This R-Studio sounds like something I should check out.

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 02:09:23 pm »

Two techniques which have been used by others to retrieve data loss due to hard drive failure are freezing the hard drive, and replacing the paltters.

Using the freezing technique requires placing the hard drive in a freezer for about 24 hours. When sure the drive is frozen, quickly connect it (you will have about 20 minutes before it approaches room temperature) and move the data to a predetermined location.

Replacing the platters requires taking the faultly hard drive apart and carefully removing the platters. Replace the platters in a known good hard drive of the same mfg. and part no. If the data can be retrieved, transfer it to another hard drive, and junk the other two.

This technique assumes the fault is in the hard drive electronics, and not in the platters. Use precautions to keep dust and dandruf off of the platters. Wear latex gloves and handle the platters by the outer edges.

The techniques may not work in all cases, but if you don't want to pay the costs to have this done professionaly, or other techniques do not work, then you might want to find out more about these options. They work!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 02:14:49 pm »

Two techniques which have been used by others to retrieve data loss due to hard drive failure are freezing the hard drive, and replacing the paltters.

Using the freezing technique requires placing the hard drive in a freezer for about 24 hours. When sure the drive is frozen, quickly connect it (you will have about 20 minutes before it approaches room temperature) and move the data to a predetermined location.
I did that once and it worked perfectly (only froze for about 30 minutes).  I had not seen it recommended anywhere, but guessed it might work when I found that I could get a little data off if I turned the PC off, let it sit for a while, then turned it on again.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 02:56:25 pm »

Use precautions to keep dust and dandruf off of the platters. Wear latex gloves and handle the platters by the outer edges
this really must be done in a clean room, I mean Really Clean

no dust, use a mask

I hope no one tries this just to get another year out of there drive.

PS: i also heard dry ice works too

Disclamer...

The comments on this web site were created as a public service.

With that said, on to the rest of the disclaimer: This site is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Site is subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture(s). No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. Process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. Site was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type or approved replacement. Approved for veterans and civilians. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. May require batteries. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this site appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transaction Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, my wife, my kids or my neighbors cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This site is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Site is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity site. No shoes, no shirt, no site. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Do not use while sleeping. You could be a winner! Details inside. Use like regular soap. Defrost before using. Do not turn site upside down. Do not iron site on body. Do not drive a car or operate machinery after reading this site. May cause drowsiness. For indoor or outdoor use only. Not to be used for the other use. Warning: contains nuts. Reading of this site does not enable you to fly. Do not attempt to stop site with your hands or genitals. Do not attempt to use the site on your hands or genitals. The contents of this site should not be fed to fish. This site can burn eyes. Do not use in shower or near water. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Do not place this site next to or into any electronic equipment, doing so frees the owner from all liabilities. Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking (so may be this site). This site cannot protect any part of the body that it does not cover. This site is not intended for use as a dental drill. Caution: Do not spray this site in eyes. Do not drive with site in place. Caution: This site is not a safety protective device. Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks. This site's Battery may explore or leak (so may your laptop battery if your are reading this site on a laptop) Do not eat toner. Not intended for highway use. This site is not to be used in bathrooms. May irritate eyes. Eating this site may lead to broken teeth. Caution: Hot beverages are hot! Warning: Site may contain small parts. Do not use orally. Not suitable for children aged 1220 months or less. Do not recharge, put in backwards, or use. Warning: Do not use on eyes. Do not look into laser with remaining eye. Do not use for drying pets. For use by trained personnel only. Keep out of reach of children, parents and teenagers. Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 03:12:35 pm »

this really must be done in a clean room, I mean Really Clean
Bob has done this successfully a couple times here, and I don't think anyone has ever said "Hey this place is Really Clean!".

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 03:18:11 pm »

Bob has done this successfully a couple times here, and I don't think anyone has ever said "Hey this place is Really Clean!".

ROFL..

I've never even heard of this technique before! 
When my Dissertation's due in next day and I've had multiple drive failure,
I'll remember to set my freezer to north pole mode just in case =)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 04:21:32 pm »

I was reading about this one day and they showed a picture of the platter and the read\write heads that hover over the platter.

Then they took and blew smoke over the platter, and then they showed an image of the platter again, the smoke residue was higher than the clearance of the head and platter.

They also showed images of the platter after 1-24 hours and showed how the dust collected on the platters.

So they said that due to this make sure you have the environment as dust free and clean as possible

It has been like 10 years now but I don’t think drives have changed all that much.

I have read something a few months ago that Maxtor has found a way to arrange data on the drive in another format that will increase the amount of data they can fit on a platter by 33% or so.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 05:51:33 pm »

I work on HDD Controllers (the chip on the Hard Drive) for a living and I'm still surpised every day how many drives actually work. :)

I had a competitors drive crash on me the other day and after a little FA (Failure Analysis), also known as ripping the drive apart, it was pretty obvious it was a goner.  Scratches on the platter are NEVER a good sign.  Oh, and the top head dangling from the armature wasn't a good sign either.  My guess is the head smacked a large piece of dust then took a header into the platter.  When the drive tried to seek to the next track it literally ripped the head off the armature and then continued gouging out its course across the drive...

The data on the other 3 sides was probably still readable, but not worth the effort...

I'd be willing to try the platter swap if I REALLY cared about the data, had an exact duplicate built at roughly the same time I was willing to crucify, and had exhausted all other methods.  But, I definitely wouldn't expect the drive to last long after throwing that much dust into it...

I have no idea what the freezer method is supposed to help.  I guess if the head is stuck to the platter it could maybe help break it loose?

-John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 05:55:40 pm »

I have no idea what the freezer method is supposed to help.  I guess if the head is stuck to the platter it could maybe help break it loose?
Good story.  I wondered the same about the freezing (which I saw and it worked).  Is it possible that a chip that is going bad is affected?  Or a physical crack in a circuit?  With my case, before I tried the freezer, I observed that when the drive cooled, I could get a file or two off and then it would stop working completely.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 06:21:10 pm »

I thought this was the answer but went looking for someone who had the reason to conferm it. This is what the "Expert" Had to Say.

Freezing the hard drive for an hour or so will make the metal contract enough so that the heads are lifted back off the platters and your data can be read from it. Of course, once it thaws back out, the heads will crash back on to the platters and kill it some more, so this is only a last chance soution to get important data off the drive.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 06:24:58 pm »

Well, maybe that's it.  My experience was dramatic.  It was like the difference between being stuck in the snow, rocking back and forth, and getting out and driving away. 

I took the bad drive apart and kept the bare mechanism on my fireplace mantle like a trophy for a few years.

LonWar

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 06:49:36 pm »

The comments on this web site were created as a public service.

With that said, on to the rest of the disclaimer: This site is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Site is subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture(s). No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. Process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. Site was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type or approved replacement. Approved for veterans and civilians. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. May require batteries. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this site appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transaction Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, my wife, my kids or my neighbors cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This site is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Site is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity site. No shoes, no shirt, no site. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Do not use while sleeping. You could be a winner! Details inside. Use like regular soap. Defrost before using. Do not turn site upside down. Do not iron site on body. Do not drive a car or operate machinery after reading this site. May cause drowsiness. For indoor or outdoor use only. Not to be used for the other use. Warning: contains nuts. Reading of this site does not enable you to fly. Do not attempt to stop site with your hands or genitals. Do not attempt to use the site on your hands or genitals. The contents of this site should not be fed to fish. This site can burn eyes. Do not use in shower or near water. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Do not place this site next to or into any electronic equipment, doing so frees the owner from all liabilities. Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking (so may be this site). This site cannot protect any part of the body that it does not cover. This site is not intended for use as a dental drill. Caution: Do not spray this site in eyes. Do not drive with site in place. Caution: This site is not a safety protective device. Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks. This site's Battery may explore or leak (so may your laptop battery if your are reading this site on a laptop) Do not eat toner. Not intended for highway use. This site is not to be used in bathrooms. May irritate eyes. Eating this site may lead to broken teeth. Caution: Hot beverages are hot! Warning: Site may contain small parts. Do not use orally. Not suitable for children aged 1220 months or less. Do not recharge, put in backwards, or use. Warning: Do not use on eyes. Do not look into laser with remaining eye. Do not use for drying pets. For use by trained personnel only. Keep out of reach of children, parents and teenagers. Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you.

Well that pretty much covers everything
-

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 07:40:37 pm »

quick update:
This is one of the hidden advantages of working with windows. Your drive wasn't really dead, it just reached some magic number of dead sectors and windows refused to read it.

Now had that been on one of those free OS's, they hardly crash, but when HDs go , they remain gone.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2006, 07:43:27 pm »

We've used a lot of Windows, Linux, and Unix over the last 25 years.  I don't notice any difference in which OS has the most drive failures.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2006, 07:47:18 pm »

OS does not make a difference re drive failures, but try harder to read. And since they usually do that, they use up every last bit of what the HD can offer. If it goes down, it's usually HW failure at this point.

For some reason, the idea of using knoppix did not strike. This is the first thing to try if windows refuses to read a HD.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006, 08:36:45 pm »

You can also check on the health of your drives from time to time.
I use SpeedFan for other reasons, but it has the ability to do an online analysis of S.M.A.R.T. data. Pretty nice service. And free.

Here's an example of the report. I think, may be tied to data on my system.
http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=101246&ReportVerification=827FA6FE

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2006, 05:19:29 am »

My newest HD had a problem this morning when I tried to boot my HTPC.

Windows couldn't start anymore. At a certain point the process halted and I could hear a knocking noise coming from the HD.

I bought this Maxtor MaXline III 300 GB SATA drive two months ago. It came with a 5-year warranty. (This series has a longer warranty period than the DiamondMax series.)

I have backups (from last week), but most likely fixing the problem will take many, many hours and if the drive is broken I need to buy a spare drive first. I am not going to touch my backup drives before the system is up and tested to be fine.

:(
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2006, 05:29:44 am »

I'm staying away from this post from now on,
it's cursed  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up