INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View and interface changes in build 155  (Read 4698 times)

lpr

• World Citizen
View and interface changes in build 155
« on: March 27, 2006, 08:28:49 pm »

If I search for an artist in thumbnails view (album artist) then I click on the "albums" tab of this artist (not the multiple artists thumbnail), it will give show me *every* album this artist as a track on, even compilations... This is not how this function used to behave.

How can I have *only* this artist's albums as results?

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: View and interface changes in build 155
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:49:32 pm »

3. Changed: When searching in a library view, all files for the view scheme are searched. (instead of combining panes / grouping filters with the search)

I have to say I am going to be hard to convince with this change.  At first (before I tried it) I was very pessimestic about the change (and I'm only slightly better now)... I was initially thinking it would also change the behavior when you did searches when using "child" selections (created by populating the tree).

It did not (now, please don't change this since I mentioned it).  Performing a search while having a sub-item selected in the tree still searches only that sub-item, which is just how it should be.  I have many view schemes for Images and Video where this is very useful.  For example, if I select "Movies" under Genre on the tree and search for "blue" I want it to find "Blue Velvet" and "Lackawana Blues" but not "Hill Street Blues" (anything else really doesn't match the behavior of the rest of Windows).  Part of the great power of MC is that you can combine the static-filters of the View Schemes with the dynamic filters of the search bar.  Now it searches and finds things that aren't on the display (as if notepad's search suddenly started turning up hits on web sites).

However, now the behavior is somewhat schitzophrenic.  When you select a child item in the tree the search behaves one way, and when you select it in the panes (and the tile view) it behaves another.  I'm sorry if some people need to click "Audio" in the tree before they search, but why do the rest of us need to lose functionality (and convolute the intuitiveness of the UI) to save them one click?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:19:35 pm »

4. Changed: In Library views, the optional alphabet will only appear when there are 10 or more items in the list.

Why? I am not crazy about things that aren't static.... Can you put this as an option, The same way you enable people to have scroll bars on, or auto hide
-

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:29:46 pm »

4. Changed: In Library views, the optional alphabet will only appear when there are 10 or more items in the list.

Why? I am not crazy about things that aren't static.... Can you put this as an option, The same way you enable people to have scroll bars on, or auto hide

I agree with gamer on this.  It creates a more confusing, "busier" feel to the layout when things like this are not consistant.  If I want the alphabet present, I'd like it to just be present ALL the time regardless of how many items are present.  Having it appear and disappear is distracting.

Thanks,

Larry

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:50:50 pm »

Me too.  It's inconsistent and a bit bewildering the first time through.

The GUI is edging out the data, it seems.  Most of these changes (but not the alphabet thing), seem to be enhancing the functionality of the single view, which is great, but it's really garbling up the the split views--vertical space is disappearing under a lot of stuff.

At the end of the stack search we still have the split-split view.  This is great on a single view, but I've got too much stuff already. If I had a 3-foot tall monitor this would be perfect, but I can't see an entire thumbnail, at this point.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 10:12:09 pm »

Me too.  It's inconsistent and a bit bewildering the first time through.

The GUI is edging out the data, it seems.  Most of these changes (but not the alphabet thing), seem to be enhancing the functionality of the single view, which is great, but it's really garbling up the the split views--vertical space is disappearing under a lot of stuff.

At the end of the stack search we still have the split-split view.  This is great on a single view, but I've got too much stuff already. If I had a 3-foot tall monitor this would be perfect, but I can't see an entire thumbnail, at this point.

Split views are considered an advanced feature.  If you're looking for a simplified user experience, we recommend using one view at a time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:04 am »

Double-clicking on an album doesn't play it anymore even though it's behaviour is set to "Double-click: Replace Playing Now (all)" and "Start playing when files added to Playing Now" is checked.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 03:57:24 am »

Rhino,
This was changed some builds ago. You can read the whole story here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32777.msg224472#msg224472

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
"Customize Toolbar" and "Customize Current View" - What happened??
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 04:13:31 am »

I'm using the latest build (11.1.155) and I've noticed a big change in how "Customize Current View" is handled... I can no longer choose the view I like and "Save for all locations", instead I have to save a preset and load it up in every single playlist!! I can't really see the improvement in having the views handled this way since I have literally hundreds of playlists and smartlists. In an earlier release there was an option to "Save for all similar locations" which wasn't good either since it missed to many locations that I considered similar. I would like the option to "Save for all locations" to be re-introduced.

And about "Customize Toolbar": I still miss the ability to put an "Audio"-button on the menubar that behaves similar to pressing "Ctrl+F". I believe it would also be good to make more buttons for "Pictures","Video" , "Podcasts", whatever...

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 05:01:21 am »

Thanks Deivit.   The question becomes are they going to honour the option settings so I can get the behaviour back?

dcwebman

Re: "Customize Toolbar" and "Customize Current View" - What happened??
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 07:24:53 am »

I also questioned the Customize Current View change for 154 when it was released but never got a response. It's a total pain to have to load the view for every single playlist or view scheme you have.
Jeff

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 07:43:19 am »

I believe it would also be good to make more buttons for "Pictures","Video" , "Podcasts", whatever...
In the whatever... category, I'd settle for a 'switch zone' button.  I'd love to see a way to do three things, all triggered by a single left-click. 

Switch to next zone
Switch to previous zone
Drop-down a menu with a list of zones selectable, and switch to it.

This would really, really help when trying to use MC11 from a touchscreen.  I've asked for it for ages now, could someone PLEASE just get over the issue of making artwork for the icon and just get this danged thing implemented?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 07:44:07 am »

Thanks Deivit.   The question becomes are they going to honour the option settings so I can get the behaviour back?

The overall response to double-click navigation was quite positive.  There are many other ways to play. (play link on the tile, play button, right click, drag-n-drop, etc.)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 10:21:08 am »

If I change the thumnail size and spacing, I have to do this for every drill down view.... Can you please please put a size all. It's a pain to have to resize every dripp view!
-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 11:14:55 am »

If I change the thumnail size and spacing, I have to do this for every drill down view.... Can you please please put a size all. It's a pain to have to resize every dripp view!

I agree here.  Actually it would be nice to get the "Save for All Child Views" choice back in the Customize Current View dialog (I know, it was renamed) and have it apply to Thumbnail size/spacing selections too.

It seems that there is a push on to simplify the use of the interface with some of these recent changes.  Some of them I think are worthwhile (especially the double-click navigation), but some of them really seem to have confused the situation further.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 11:17:16 am »

Being technical here, but those settings are being honored.  Double clicking an Album tile just no longer adds those files to the Playing Now list.  Matt listed the many ways you can still do what you want (with the same number of clicks, just not a double-click).

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 12:22:48 pm »

In the category of 'interface', with apologies for being slightly off thread topic:

1. Thumbnail size slider is excellent, but very jerky to use on my PC (which is admittely not a speed machine. I mean compared to other products I have tested).

2. Upping the size of thumbnails to the max gives a pretty pixellated view on my PC. Again compared to others where you get a blurry view for a second or two before the software catches up and sharpens the thumbnail. Its not great if you are resizing to see large versions of your images - the only other way is to play them.

3. Please please please expose the thumbnail slider either onto MCs window or as an optional toolbar control. Its too important to hide in a menu.

This in 11.1.154 for me, but I dont see anything in the changelog to suggest differences in 155.

jgreen

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 01:26:25 pm »

Lee--
I agree with your comment re/pixellated thumbnails.  I guessing it's just something we have to accept in return for the rippin fast thumbnail refreshes (scrolling), which is really quite dramatic.

I'm guessing that even the large thumbnails are uprezzed versions of some tiny icon that is used for thumbs.  If you click on a single-image thumb and simultaneously view it in action window, the difference in quality is apparent.  At the same time, note the HUGE difference in display response--enough to make the thumbnail view unusable for browsing.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 02:14:03 pm »

The overall response to double-click navigation was quite positive.  There are many other ways to play. (play link on the tile, play button, right click, drag-n-drop, etc.)

Hi Matt,

Considering double-click is the default way of interacting with anything in Windows (e.g. you can double-click on a track in Windows Explorer to play it) not being able to double-click on an album to play it seems very unnatural.   This is compounded by the fact that a) it used to work that way b) the options page implies that this is the way it should work and c) double-clicking on a track will play the track.   It seems a bit inconsistant.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 03:10:12 pm »

jgreen

Lee--
I agree with your comment re/pixellated thumbnails.  I guessing it's just something we have to accept in return for the rippin fast thumbnail refreshes (scrolling), which is really quite dramatic.

Yeah I can scroll through my image thumbnails pretty fast - but no faster than the image org software alternatives Ive tried (not too many I admit). Possibly Im misunderstanding here.

I'm guessing that even the large thumbnails are uprezzed versions of some tiny icon that is used for thumbs.  If you click on a single-image thumb and simultaneously view it in action window, the difference in quality is apparent.  At the same time, note the HUGE difference in display response--enough to make the thumbnail view unusable for browsing.

Agree your first sentence. And second. Not sure I understand the last though. Thumbnail view at max size is really responsive for me - but unusable for browsing becaue the pixellated versions are so poor. Clicking on a thumbnail shows the 'sharp' version in the action window almost immediately (and as you say display quality is obvious). Certainly no massive difference in display response re putting up the 'good' version in the action window - assuming you mean a delay. Maybe an action window quality view across the thumbnail pane would slow it down too much, but I believe it needs to be implemented for images.

A delay in 'focusing' from pixellated to sharp in thumbnail view would be fine for me but if it doesnt ever it looks a bit poor. Im no expert - only very recently moved to 100% digital photos - and so far Ive dabbled with MC for images along with a couple of others. One is free software, another is the organiser included with a popular editor. I want to use MC, but some of these (cosmetic) differences are so obvious they make MC look clunky when in fact its immensely more powerful as a tagger/organiser.

I may be straying into feature requests as opposed to 'bug' reporting here, in which case so be it - it can wait until v11.1+

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 03:29:10 pm »

Hi Matt,

Considering double-click is the default way of interacting with anything in Windows (e.g. you can double-click on a track in Windows Explorer to play it) not being able to double-click on an album to play it seems very unnatural.   This is compounded by the fact that a) it used to work that way b) the options page implies that this is the way it should work and c) double-clicking on a track will play the track.   It seems a bit inconsistant.

In Windows, double clicking on a folder opens the folder and shows the files. It doesn't open every file within that folder. MC's albums have always behaved more like folders than sole entities.

You can get this kind of behavior back, though. Create a view scheme of just "Artist" and set the top to "Thumbnails" and the bottom to "Album Thumbnails". Now you can browse your Artists on the top, see their albums on the bottom, and double click an album to make it play.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 03:31:53 pm »

This is only true assuming that you consider an album to be a single unit.  I (and many others) consider only the file (song, video, or image mostly) to be a single unit and the album to equate to a folder.  If you look at it this way, then double clicking on an album should open it (and show the files) not play it.

Having it the other way makes navigating very un-intuitive for playing anything other than music files (and other than wanting to only listen to entire albums).  I use the "album" tag as the "series" for most of the TV shows I have in MC's library.  I rarely (if ever) want to "play" an entire season of TV shows.  I want to open it up and choose which one I want to watch!

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 07:49:59 pm »

If I search for an artist in thumbnails view (album artist) then I click on the "albums" tab of this artist (not the multiple artists thumbnail), it will give show me *every* album this artist as a track on, even compilations... This is not how this function used to behave.

How can I have *only* this artist's albums as results?

Same behaviour with .156, same question:

How can I only have the artist's albums, not all the albums with one of his/her tracks on?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 11:56:40 pm »

This is only true assuming that you consider an album to be a single unit.  I (and many others) consider only the file (song, video, or image mostly) to be a single unit and the album to equate to a folder.  If you look at it this way, then double clicking on an album should open it (and show the files) not play it.

WHen you get down to the album level and can't drill down any more double-clicking to play it is the logical next step.   If you want to see what files are in there you click it.

Having it the other way makes navigating very un-intuitive for playing anything other than music files (and other than wanting to only listen to entire albums).  I use the "album" tag as the "series" for most of the TV shows I have in MC's library.  I rarely (if ever) want to "play" an entire season of TV shows.  I want to open it up and choose which one I want to watch!

But you'd be browsing your media thru the Video branch, not the Audio branch.   Also MC has the settings "Double-click: Replace Playing Now (all)" option which is set but it's being ignored.   Either remove the option or honour my user preference.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:20:19 pm »

Sorry for being a bit impatient here, but I would like to hear the final plan for "Customize Current View" and "Customize Toolbar" which I posted about earlier (thread merged into this one). Is there any planned progress on this subject?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 01:32:50 pm »

Sorry for being a bit impatient here, but I would like to hear the final plan for "Customize Current View" and "Customize Toolbar" which I posted about earlier (thread merged into this one). Is there any planned progress on this subject?

And about "Customize Toolbar": I still miss the ability to put an "Audio"-button on the menubar that behaves similar to pressing "Ctrl+F". I believe it would also be good to make more buttons for "Pictures","Video" , "Podcasts", whatever...

I'm not sure I even understand what you're looking for. Ctrl+F  jumps me to the Search Box. I'm not sure what you'd gain by adding a toolbar button for this behavior when you could just click in the Search Box. Why seek out a toolbar button when you could just click on the Search Box?

And don't the Audio, Image, and Video buttons under the Search Box do the second part of what you're asking?

Or am I missing something? (very possible - I've been really out of the loop for a while now)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 03:12:34 pm »

WHen you get down to the album level and can't drill down any more double-clicking to play it is the logical next step.   If you want to see what files are in there you click it.

Why can't I drill down to the file level?  I'm not sure I follow you.  Why should the [Album] step always be the bottom level?  When I want to see the files inside the album, I double click the album's tile and it shows the files (assuming your view scheme is [Artist]/[Album]).

But you'd be browsing your media thru the Video branch, not the Audio branch.

The audio, video, and images branches all work the same way, so the same rules apply.  When browsing video and my view scheme is set up with a [Genre]/[Artist]/[Album] structure, the old way was unusable because double clicking on the [Album] tile would play the entire season of shows.  Again, if you think of the tiles as folders (which they act like much more than files) the double click behavior should open the folder and display the files.  If you want to play all of the items in the folder, you should have to select the folder and click "Play".  I'm not sure what the problem is...

Also MC has the settings "Double-click: Replace Playing Now (all)" option which is set but it's being ignored.   Either remove the option or honour my user preference.

This is not being ignored.  If you double-click on a file, it replaces all of the previous items in the playing now list with all of the files in the list currently showing when you performed the double-click action.  This is just like it always was.  The difference is that double clicking on an Album tile does not add those files to Playing Now, it instead opens the album up and displays those files.

If it doesn't and it shows some other category, you need to adjust the View Scheme you are using so that [Album] is at the bottom of the "chain".

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »

I'm not sure I even understand what you're looking for. Ctrl+F  jumps me to the Search Box. I'm not sure what you'd gain by adding a toolbar button for this behavior when you could just click in the Search Box. Why seek out a toolbar button when you could just click on the Search Box?

And don't the Audio, Image, and Video buttons under the Search Box do the second part of what you're asking?

Or am I missing something? (very possible - I've been really out of the loop for a while now)

Well, these are features that DID exist but disappeared somewhere in the line of 11.1-releases. Having a very obvius button in the top toolbar (where I usually keep a "Playing Now"-button to make it really simple to jump to the "Playing Now"-playlist) that says "Audio" (or whatever you like) that even your dumbest friend can find without having to explain the entire interface. And at the time you were able to add this button it also pre-selected the search-box, so you just have to push one button and start typing, VERY HANDY if I say, and most of all VERY easy to explain. The less clicking the better for functions you use a LOT.

And about "Customize current view" I would still like to have some feedback on this matter. Thanks in advance.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2006, 06:48:16 am »

I'd still like a comment on this, excuse me for the bump.
Pages: [1]   Go Up