INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art not seen if in jpg format  (Read 1204 times)

curry-kid

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Cover art not seen if in jpg format
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:16:35 pm »

Hi,

My media PC's motherboard died at Christmas and I have only just got round to rebuilding the machine. I've had to mess about with those old fashioned CD thingies for months!

Anyway, I have the PC up and running now with the latest versions and patches of WinXP, Media Centre, Girder and NetRemote. All this works ok apart from some of the cover art is missing.

On investigation, it is the images that are jpgs that are missing. Any that are bmp bitmaps are fine. If I convert a jpg to a bmp (using paint), I can then associate it and it displays fine. When I try to "Add from file" an image, the "select image window" has a preview area which shows the bmps fine, but shows nothing/black for jpgs.

Other than converting the format of hundreds of images >:( , is there anything else I can do?

Cheers
Chris

Media Center Registered 11.1.155 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Centaur Unknown 533 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 384 MB, Free - 146 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   No CD drives found.
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover art not seen if in jpg format
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:47:37 pm »

In tools/options/file associations: be sure that jpeg is checked (and anything else you want associated with MC) and also check: always take control of files types.

WMP probably has control of the jpegs at the present time.

Hope this works for you.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 04:50:18 pm »

We've only heard of this on VIA systems.  AMD and Intel chips do not exhibit the same issue.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

curry-kid

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:06:46 pm »

Thanks Jay,
jpgs were already associated - I tried removing the association earlier. Following your suggestion, I tried re-associating them and checking the "Always take control..." option, but not luck. Thanks for the suggestion...

Hi Matt,
This is a VIA Epia 5000 system...
Is this something that is likely to be fixed in the short term, or should I get converting ?

I work on the fringes of IT, and to be honest this is the first time in years that I have come across CPU type causing particular faults in software...! The last time was about 8 years ago, when I had problems running a particular software package on AMD processors.

Cheers
Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:52:48 pm »

We don't currently have a VIA system at JRiver.

A few years back I built a VIA system for an AVPC and didn't have much luck with it.  Lots of software and drivers didn't work, and it was incredibly slow. (1 Ghz VIA was much slower than 566 Celeron)

Newer AMD processors with Cool-n-Quiet enabled are a better bet for building a silent system.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

curry-kid

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:46:20 am »

Hi Matt,

This Via Epia only has a 533Mhz CPU, which by todays standards is steam powered. However it does have enough horsepower to play music, which is all I want it to do. It also has the advantage of being fanless, so using a Dc-Dc converter board and a laptop style powerbrick for the power supply, the PC is totally silent. The only noise is the hard disk, and that is set to power down after 5 mins of no use.

It does feel slow when setting up or updating software, but it does do the job...

I still find it hard to believe that the problem I have is purely down to using a VIA CPU. Other software on the system (paint and picture viewer) can view jpgs ok, so why would MC fail to do so on a particular type of CPU?

Anyway, I guess I will have to convert all the jpgs to bmps. I don't suppose anyone knows of some freeware that would convert the lot in one go??

Cheers
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up