INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art (link to the image) - where is it stored?  (Read 3543 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Cover Art (link to the image) - where is it stored?
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:46:47 am »

I do not include cover art itself into the files. I only "link" them (drag & drop the image onto the audio file). I wonder where is this "link" information stored? When I create a new library and import my files, cover art is missing and I must re-drag & drop all the images again... What should I do in order to preserve this information? I assume storing cover art into files themselves would be the "solution" but I don't like this idea at all for many reasons...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover Art (link to the image) - where is it stored?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:18:59 am »

external links are not saved to the media files.

the link is only saved in the database, so if you create a new library and import the files it of course will not be linked to a image.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:40:04 am »

I see... So does it mean the only way is to save the cover art into the file itself?? Not very handy...

geekbeats2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:43:24 pm »

edit: oops sorry
toe 6 pillow knight Jr l night toothpick kill igloo

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:19:47 pm »

Johnny B,

You can use external cover art files with MC. MC has a few options for cover art handling in Options > File Location > Track Image Location.

Check the library field named "Image File". It stores the external cover art link. When the image file is placed in the same folder with the music files that field stores only the filename instead of the complete path. The field is not directly editable. You need to use the Image tools for linking cover art or changing the links.

Personally, I prefer the "Next to file" option. When I need to move music folders I move the cover art files at the same time so the links remain correct.

I have written some cover art instructions in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32323.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 04:21:32 pm »

>Alex B

Thanks for your comment but it seems you missed my point. Regardless of how is the cover art stored (when not inside the file), once you re-import files (in new Library), cover arts are gone...
I mean I have my whole collection of MP3s and APEs on my desktop PC. I save all the information to the tags (including my own custom fields). Once I copy some of these audio files to my notebook (or anywhere else) running Media Center, "Import Media" does fill all the fields (from the files) EXCEPT the Cover art - link to the picture is not preserved thus it must be re-drag & dropped manually...

It seems the only way to preserve the cover art information is to save the picture inside the tag itself...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 04:23:35 pm »

There is a link to a thread on cover art in the FAQ near the top of this board.

You can copy all your cover art to a directory on the new PC, set the folder in the "File Locations" section of MC's options, then right click on a track (or tracks) and choose Image/Quick Find.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 12:44:12 am »

It seems the only way to preserve the cover art information is to save the picture inside the tag itself...

This is correct. As KingSparta said, it's not possible to save the image link (the text string in the Image File field) to the physical file tags.

Thanks for your comment but it seems you missed my point. Regardless of how is the cover art stored (when not inside the file), once you re-import files (in new Library), cover arts are gone...

If the image file is in the music file folder and named as "[Album Artist (auto)] - [Album]", MC links the image automatically when the music files are imported. "Folder.jpg" is possible too, but it may be better to have identifiable filenames when moving files around.

Actually, if the music file folder contains only one image file the filename doesn't matter. MC links the image file anyway. If the folder contains more than one image the correct filename is needed for automatic cover art linking.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 02:43:23 am »

I have been using the "save images in tag also" and saving them in the album file too since I started using MC 3 years ago with no problems. (And they're all 900x900). With the images in the tags I never lose them.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 05:36:03 am »

Actually, if the music file folder contains only one image file the filename doesn't matter. MC links the image file anyway. If the folder contains more than one image the correct filename is needed for automatic cover art linking.
That's the key here, you only need to relink images using the image tools if there are more than one in a folder else, MC will add them automatically when you play the album. But its a one time thing unless you create another library again.

I also prefer not to embed images in the media file.

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 02:27:18 pm »

Could someone explain the downside of also storing the image in the media file? My music doesn't seem to have suffered for it, (as far as I can tell). Having the image there has certainly saved my bacon more than a few times!
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 02:56:31 pm »

Music is not going to be affected at all by storing images inside the media file.

It's more of a personal preference, my reasons in not any particular order
- It's a media file, why mix other types in it.  You cant add more than one image to a file anyway, so there is no real advantage.

- Adding images to media files is not done uniformly across apps, only MC can read it if MC adds it, if you use something else, chances are it won't be able to do so.

- It needlessly adds to the size of the media, if its a big image you just times that by the number of files you attached it to, adds up when you have many thousands of files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up