INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M-Audio 2496 card with MC11.1 don’t work  (Read 3439 times)

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
M-Audio 2496 card with MC11.1 don’t work
« on: April 24, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

The tech department at M-Audio says it wont work properly because of the limitations of MC11 but I don’t believe them for one minuet.

The problem is two fold, first I cant get this card to simultaneously output analog and digital for my two zones, this may simply be a setup issue that someone can point me to.  The second issue is that it will only play one channel of analog audio at a time, no stereo analog out.  This is the issue that the tech department says is an issue with MC11 and cant be resolved.

Anyone else using this card and MC10/11 successfully with both the analog and digital outputs?

My Card
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

Myron

• World Citizen
Re: M-Audio 2496 card with MC11.1 don’t work
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:04:51 pm »

I can't comment on 11.1 but the card works just fine with 11.0.

I have one zone set up using Wave out for the analog outputs and another zone using ASIO for the S/PDIF output.  It will play different tracks in both zones simultaneously.  It also has no problem with sample rates up to 96 kHz and 24 bit data.  Of course, you can't have different sample rates for the analog and digital outputs at the same time.

The only thing to watch out for is that if youwant to use ASIO for the digital output you'll need to set the channel offset in MC to 2 to direct the audio data to the S/PDIF port.  Otherwise the sound will go to the analog outputs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 04:13:27 pm »

This is the card I use at home.

I have dual zones -- one analog and one digital.  It evens works great for HDTV and DVD using Media Center.

Check your physical connections, DSP Studio, and also the M-Audio mixer app to see what's going on.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 04:37:53 pm »

I might be misleading when I talk about having two zones; technically I have only one zone, but use both the analog and digital at the same time for two different rooms playing the same music, I never play different music in different rooms, I’m single.

What do you select under playback settings to get both analog and digital outs working, I have the following to choose from

J Rivers MC11 Direct sound settings:

M-Audio Delta AP Multi

M-Audio Delta AP ½

M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF

None of these three will play both digital and analog, the only one that plays digital is the last selection, the other two will only play analog.

Thanks for any help, If I cant figure it out soon it has to go back.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:40:17 pm »

Try using DirectSound for one zone and ASIO for the other.  I use DirectSound for my analog outputs and ASIO for digital, but it should work either way.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:44:57 pm »

How do I slave both zones togather so that they play the same song list?  Also I have never used zones so I'm not sure what to do, as I said I never want to play different music at the different zones.  Plus I still cant find a selection that will play stereo analog. only one channel at a time will play.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:51:31 pm »

Figured it out.

The patchbay router settings need to be as follows:

H/W out 1/2 set to Monitor Mixer
H/W out S/PDIF set to Wave out S/PDIF.

Now after all this hard work and sifting through 4 different sound cards just to find one that will play my DTS music files from my hard drive i have still failed, no matter what combo I try or how many threads I read on this all I get is noise.  I becoming of the mind that this is impossible to do, and if I set MC11 to the M-Audio AISO driver I loose my S/PDIF output as well.

Is there a comprehensive thread where all the details of playing DTS music files from a HD anywhere that I can look at, I've tried Doom and all other popular forums and followed every detail but cannot get this to work.

Is anybody here successfully playing DTS Music (44.1K) from their hard drive?

BigAl

• Recent member
  • ...You wanna what???
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:18:32 pm »

I have the same card and use ASIO via S/PDIF.  DTS playback used to work for me but only when I got ALL DSP out of the way (incl replay gain).  If I had replay gain, I'd get noise.  With all DSP off, I'd get 1 sec of static while my amp auto-swtiched to DTS mode, then it was fine.  I haven't bothered with DTS for months - the static while swtiching annoyed me too much.   I'll check it's still working and report back.  In the meantime, I'd try clearing any DSP settings if you have them.

Al.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:24:06 pm »

if I set MC11 to the M-Audio AISO driver I loose my S/PDIF output as well.

What do you mean by "lose"?

Is there no output at all or is it going to the analog outputs?  If it's the latter you need to set the channel offset to 2 like I mentioned before.  For the latter, I'm not sure why this is.  Does the S/PDIF work in other output modes?  Do you have the latest driver from M-Audio?

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:33:00 pm »

I've unchecked all DSP settings and my volume control is set to "internal volume" and the gain is at max.

The AISO setting causes only the analog outputs to work, no digital output at all to the main zone.  No matter what though I only get hiss through the analogs, so I guess this is a moot point since I cant get any output to work with DTS Music.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:24:55 pm »

The AISO setting causes only the analog outputs to work, no digital output at all to the main zone.  No matter what though I only get hiss through the analogs, so I guess this is a moot point since I cant get any output to work with DTS Music.

I'm assuming you have an outboard DTS decoder?  MC will pass the digital signal (hiss) to an outboard decoder using SPDIF in a bitperfect manner.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 09:59:06 pm »

I'm assuming you have an outboard DTS decoder?  MC will pass the digital signal (hiss) to an outboard decoder using SPDIF in a bitperfect manner.

Yes, my processor will decode the DTS Signal, but it's not bit perfect obviously or it would work (I'm told).  So I'm thinking that it’s a codec issue or somehow Windows Mixer is still getting ahold of the stream and converting it to 48K before it gets to the outputs of the card.  Don’t know how to tell if the bitstream is 44.1K at the exit of the port, but it would be helpful to know for sure.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 04:09:59 am »

I can play 44.1 kHz DTS audio from DTS audio CDs and DTS wave (.wav) files through SPDIF (MC11.1.176).

Naturally, I need to have everything that is related to signal prosessing disabled in MC and in the sound card driver options: e.g. volume control (must be at maximum) and DSP Studio options. MC's output is set to ASIO and Gapless playback.

My sound card is not M-Audio 2496, but I have Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, which uses the same Envy24 chip. The rest of the hardware is different, but it would be rather odd if M-Audio couldn't pass 44.1 signal to SPDIF bit perfectly.

For some reason I couldn't make Terratec's own ASIO driver work (check this thread out: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24231.msg169947#msg169947), but I have used ASIO4ALL since then without problems.

Also this problem is nonexistent on my setup (Coaxial or optical SPDIF to Yamaha RX-V1400):
... With all DSP off, I'd get 1 sec of static while my amp auto-swtiched to DTS mode, then it was fine. I haven't bothered with DTS for months - the static while swtiching annoyed me too much. I'll check it's still working and report back. In the meantime, I'd try clearing any DSP settings if you have them.

The output is dead silent during the short time DTS decoder needs to kick in. Because I use the Gapless output mode the decoder never loses the signal on track changes. Seeking works fine too.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:46:09 pm »

I've heard this from many people and many do have this sound card, in fact that’s the reason I bought it.  Strange enough is that i cant get AISO 4 ALL to work on my M-Audio card, it locks up MC11 playback and I get a "Beyond all logic symbol next to my card icon in the AISO 4 All control panel.  At this point I'm not sure its worth perusing anymore, if its that difficult to play my measly collection of DTS music discs then I'll just do without until some hardware manufacturer finally address this with a proper turn key solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up