INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoyance: album/artist path on file conversion  (Read 1255 times)

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...
Annoyance: album/artist path on file conversion
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:50:42 am »

So I've discovered an annoying limitation with the convert file tool as I work to convert my library from APE to FLAC (APE is great, and I'm glad I used lossless to begin with, but I prefer to have a more open and more compatible format to work with).  There's a checkbox for creating album/artist paths when converting music to a different format and moving it to a new location.  Where I run into problems though is for "multiple artists" albums.  MC creates individual directories for each artist on the CD, and then creates an album directory in there, and then dumps the song.  Definitely not a good way to organize files, but what's worse, because files are now stored in separate directories, in breaks MC's album artist (auto) tag, so the album no longer shows up correctly in certain view schemes.  What a pain!

As a workaround, I've been converting multiple-artist albums and unchecking the create album/artist path thing, so all the files end up in a single root folder.  I then use the rename file tool (which is much more flexible, and should have it's functionality integrated into the convert file tool) to move these into individual directories.  It works, but I have to do a lot of manual checking and stuff.  Any way this could be addressed in a future version?

Thanks!

sertua

• Recent member
Re: Annoyance: album/artist path on file conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:00:04 am »

I was just about to post the same thing  ;D   I had been using the same workaround too.

Another possibility would be to have a use "assorted" for [artist] on multi artist albums checkbox for the directory base path in the Converter Settings windows, just like in the Rename Files Using the Files Properties window.

Greetings!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:49:02 am »

The best route would be to just let us define our own tag-based directory structure for renames. Then you could have it move them to [Album Artist (Auto)]\[Album]

sertua

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:49:36 am »

That would be quite nice  8)

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:53:29 am »

I will bump this, because I have the exact same problem.

Is there another tag than [artist] that we could use of or a function like if a [artist] >1 then rename artist to "Various Artists" etc...

This would be a super option!

Pages: [1]   Go Up