INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OGG encoder - general question  (Read 1394 times)

marcusaschneider

OGG encoder - general question
« on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:18 pm »

Hi all,

files encoded with the ogg encoder delivered with MC unfortunately won't get played on all hardware players. I can confirm this at least for Trekstor's i.beat organix and - randomly - iRiver's T10.
Exchanging the installed oggenc.exe with a current build either based on aoTuV or libogg (both to be found on http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html) will produce files that do not seem to cause problems at least on these both players. Questions are:
a) Why?
b) Possible to deliver one of these encoders (afaik the aoTuv is the reference implementation) with MC, so that changing the files after each install is not longer necessary?

Regards, Marcus

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: OGG encoder - general question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 03:27:40 pm »

MC's Ogg Vorbis encoder is based on the reference Xiph Vorbis library. During the MC11.1 development cycle I asked if the well-known aoTuV beta 4.51 encoder could be used, but I suppose JRiver wanted to use the "official" library.

As far as I know the MC encoded Ogg Vorbis files should be fine.

Did you try to encode two otherwise identical test files? I mean: using the same source, the same encoding options, the same tags, the same latest MC version, just with a different oggenc.exe file in the plugins folder.

Unlike many other programs MC can add cover art to Vorbis tags. That is unofficial and can be incompatible. For example, Tag&Rename cannot handle such files. Do you happen to use embedded cover art?

EDIT

This quote is from the post in which I asked for the aoTuV version:

Ogg Vorbis

11.1.123 (02/16/06)
13. NEW: Updated Ogg Vorbis encoder to version 2.8 (libvorbis version 1.1.2)

Thanks for this too!

However, I am curious why you chose this version (Oggenc2.8 using libVorbis v1.1.2 with IMPULSE_TRIGGER_PROFILE Option 2005-12-08) instead of the aoTuV b4.51 version (Oggenc2.8 using aoTuVb4.51 2005-12-08) ?

from: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39546&view=findpost&p=348793
Q: Sorry I think I missed something... libvorbis is now 1.1.2 ? how does it relate to aoTuVb4.51 ?
A: libvorbis 1.1.2 is the official Vorbis library coming out from Xiph.Org that is mostly based on the old aoTuV beta 2. aoTuV beta 4.5 is Aoyumi's tuned version of libvorbis (based on libvorbis 1.1.1).

Aoyumi has developed his Vorbis encoder version about two years after the beta 2 version. Beta 4.51 is the much praised test winner.

EDIT

The encoder differences are explained further in that HA thread.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marcusaschneider

Re: OGG encoder - general question
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 11:28:35 am »

Sorry to bother - but now everything seems to work fine. I am really confused now. I can still confirm the problem for older files (i.e. with Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20020711 based encoders). But after updating MC to 11.185 everything works with newly encoded files (the ogg encoder having a date of 15.5.2006). I swear that this was not the case with recent 11.1xx versions of MC!

This is the answer I was going to write...
As far as I know the MC encoded Ogg Vorbis files should be fine.

Well - exactely that is not the case.

Did you try to encode two otherwise identical test files? I mean: using the same source, the same encoding options, the same tags, the same latest MC version, just with a different oggenc.exe file in the plugins folder.

Yes - as well MC's oggenc.exe (Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304), the aoTuV oggenc2.exe (2.38) to be found on rarewares.org (aoTuV b4b [20051117] (based on Xiph.Org's libVorbis)), the standard oggenc2.exe (2.38) there ((Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304), and the oggenc2 (2.38) IMPULSE_TRIGGER_ON (Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304). (the oggenc2.exes renamed to oggenc.exe)

All work except for MC's. BTW. I tried the rareware's as generic and PIII optimized versions, both did it, only speed differed.

Unlike many other programs MC can add cover art to Vorbis tags. That is unofficial and can be incompatible. For example, Tag&Rename cannot handle such files. Do you happen to use embedded cover art?
No.
Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up