INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot burn m4p - DirectShow filters?  (Read 2738 times)

jmarquez

Cannot burn m4p - DirectShow filters?
« on: June 20, 2006, 11:01:41 am »

First time user of this site.  I have been tricked to use iTunes to download songs, but I love the features of MC, especially the cross fade burn and BPM.  I'm trying to burn music files (both mp3 and m4p) onto a CD, and I get an error:

"Failed to play <file path and name>.m4p.  You may not have installed on your computer Direct Show filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play."

I can play the files just fine, but there is something going on when I try to burn onto a CD.  I looked around this forum and found several messages on DirectShow and m4p but nothing on how to install DirectShow filters or how to fix my specific problem.  How do I install and even better, how am I able to burn m4p files onto a CD? 

THANKS!  Marqy

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Cannot burn m4p - DirectShow filters?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 11:29:55 am »

m4p files, and protected files in general, can not be handled using DirectShow filters.

Media Center plays these files by using Quicktime engine. They can not be burnt. You have to do it in iTunes.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:34:37 am »

Unprotected files, such as m4a, mp4 etc. can be played and burnt in Media Center by way of DirectShow filters. You need to have two separate filters packages:

1. A splitter/source filter to handle the file type. We recommend "MP4 Splitter".

2. You need decoder packs. We recommend FFDShow.

Both filter packs are free. Search this forum to find where to get them (or Google for them directly).

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 06:32:50 pm »

Unprotected files, such as m4a, mp4 etc. can be played and burnt in Media Center by way of DirectShow filters. You need to have two separate filters packages:

1. A splitter/source filter to handle the file type. We recommend "MP4 Splitter".

2. You need decoder packs. We recommend FFDShow.

Both filter packs are free. Search this forum to find where to get them (or Google for them directly).

Yaobing... So, if I install MP4 Splitter (I already use FFDShow) will this allow me to convert apple lossless files to MP3 thru MC also? This relates to my post a couple of days ago.

Ray.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 11:54:54 pm »

Ray,

No, it will not work. I tried it when I replied your previous post, and tried again today. The files of that format can only be played in QuickTime engine. These filters would not work. I do not know any other filters that work.

jmarquez

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 12:55:31 pm »

Sorry for my novelty....

I'm trying to download MP4 Splitter and I'm having issues.  It seems like there are several applications out there with different directions.  I used the a 3ivx application.  I also downloaded the FFDShow ap per your advice "ffdshow-20041012.exe" from a freewares site.

When I try to burn I get past the previous error but now I get a "can't start write" error.   Do you know what's wrong?

Also, do you have instructions for installing the Mp4 splitter ap or do you have a recommendation as to which one I should use?

Thanks, Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 06:40:58 pm »

You can download MP4Splitter from here. Look for files like mp4splitter_20051125.7z. There are several of them built on different dates. I tried 20051125 and 060304, both seem to be good.

After downloading, unzip the file. You will get two subdirectories, "Release" and "Release Unicode". Register the file in "Release Unicode" by issuing the following command from Start->Run:

regsvr32 "[the Path]\Release Unicode\MP4Splitter.ax"

"ffdshow-20041012.exe" from a freewares site.

This one is too old. try getting one built on 2005-11-29 here

or even newer ones here.

After downloading one of those, run the executable file to install it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up