INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: automatic folder monitoring  (Read 2709 times)

zurik

automatic folder monitoring
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:55:44 pm »

I'm trying out Media Center 11 and have some questions. In Windows Media Player 10, there's an option for automatically monitoring folders. If files are moved, deleted, or renamed, WMP automatically updates almost seamlessly. Can Media Center 11 do something like this? I have the options checked on the Import Media screen which appear to give it similar functionality, but I'm finding that MC11 does not automatically update. For instance I deleted a file outside of MC11. It showed the file was missing, but it remained in the list. Even if I restarted. In WMP10, by comparison, that file would disappear because it was removed.

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: automatic folder monitoring
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:29:37 am »

This is a long-requested feature (called auto import) and the impression I get is that it's going to be in Media Center 12. For now, re-running your import will clean out any deleted files and add the new ones. There's also a plugin that adds it to Media Center 11, if you're interested I'm sure someone can help you out with a link.

zurik

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 07:00:43 am »

I couldn't find this plugin on J River's page. Does anyone have a link to it?

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:55:03 pm »

http://www.spartasoftware.com/MC-Plugins/index.html
Click 'Auto Import' in the left hand menu.

zurik

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 08:20:01 pm »

Thanks. Maybe it's just me but this didn't seem to work. It didn't automatically remove missing files.

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 02:23:14 am »

And don't think it's possible without re-reuning import.
You shouldn't delete files outside of MC, but if you often do so  (I understand it could be annoying not to do so), you should be able to filter out the missing files (so that they do not appear).
There's a function called IsMissing() that may help filtering the missing files in the view schemes filters.

I'm not at home so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but here's the iddea :
- create a new calculated user tag called "missing" which returns "IsMissing([Filename])" (look in Options/Library/add tag)
- add a filter to your view schemes that says exclude file if missing gives 1

You can create a scheme that shows only missing files to be able to delete them when you want too.

Hope it helps...

A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 03:12:38 am »

People who have previously used WMP or iTunes may not realize that MC can handle files much better. I have not had any need to delete media files outside MC for a long time. When the file operations are invoked within MC the library is automatically kept up-to-date.

For example:
It is not necessary to import files for checking them inside MC. You can just drag a new folder or a bunch files to Playing Now. If you like to keep them just do a right-click import and use MC's tools for moving the files to the desired location. If you like to delete them, a Shift+Delete invokes the delete options inside Playing Now.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:08:41 am »

about that ...did you ever run out of space Alex?

- If ALL your medias and documents aren't within the same directory AND imported (which I try to do even if it's time consuming), freeing space "the good way" could be an hassle (I'm not providing an example here and hope you see what I mean)

- With a removable hard disk, when you're not at home (where MC is installed) there is simply no way to delete files inside MC.

I'm ok with you when you say "MC can handle files much better that itunes and WMP". It can.. it just takes a lot of time compared to the "let Itunes organize my files" option (which I never used because of MC).
but maybe I miss something...
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 07:07:33 am »

about that ...did you ever run out of space Alex?

Constantly. However, I don't usually remove media files once they are imported. I just have to add space (and reorganize).

- If ALL your medias and documents aren't within the same directory AND imported (which I try to do even if it's time consuming), freeing space "the good way" could be an hassle (I'm not providing an example here and hope you see what I mean)

I have two "permanent" base folders and one temp location for importing. I use MC for handling the file organization.

With a removable hard disk, when you're not at home (where MC is installed) there is simply no way to delete files inside MC.

MC's import function can easily clean the database when you reconnect the drive at home.

(BTW, I have MC installed on my laptop too. For laptop use I have an external 300 GB drive that contains a subset of the media files. I can run the same media library on the laptop because I have harmonized the base folders to use the same virtual drive letters on all our home PCs - "X:" for music, "Y:" for videos and photos and "Z:" for newly ripped, recorded, scanned, downloaded and other more or less temporal files.

I use the Subst command for making the folders to appear as the "X:", "Y:" and "Z:" drives. Usually the external drive has most of the music files from "X:" in one base folder, some video and image files from "Y:" in another base folder and no files from "Z:". When the laptop is connected with the external drive instead of our home LAN the missing files just show up as offline in MC.)

I'm ok with you when you say "MC can handle files much better that itunes and WMP". It can.. it just takes a lot of time compared to the "let Itunes organize my files" option (which I never used because of MC).
but maybe I miss something...

As "rumored" here in this forum, the next MC version is likely to include a good automatic import function, but it is a work in progress and I'm not allowed to reveal any details.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 09:25:48 am »

All that sounds good (I love your idea of virtual drive letters, and if it's not copyrighted I will soon addopt it :)).

...and one temp location for importing

I once tried that but never succed. The problem is that we often have multiple "temp" locations :

1- The desktop -each time someone came and plug a usb key on my pc I have another "New Folder (XXX)" -when there are too many "New Folder XX" I create a new one and move all of them in it (I know it's pathetic but I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one doing so :))

2- If I'm not too lazy I put it on "My Documents"

3- In my Documents I have a folder for my downloaded files (some are media, others not, so I need to organize that when I have the time)

4- MSN messenger do create a folder for "my received files"

5- When I want to copy files from my linux to my windows drive (yes I dual boot) (or if I unplug my hard disk from my computer to plug it in another one) and I'm too lazy I create a folder like "new stuffs"

6- I'm sure you can put another one(or two)  here by yourself...

So If I re-import my library to fix broken links and do not include all of theses directories (and the ones I forget), I will lost theses files, or do I misunderstand the import utility behavior?
And doesn't re-importing the library takes ages? (or at least takes too much time to do it on a frequent base).

The virtual drives letters may help a lot but I still think that in file organisation MC is very powerfull but time consuming (compared for example to wmp or itunes for the music part). Perhaps I should be more rigorous or maybe I just need more time praticing file organisation with MC.
Of course your tips are welcome  ;)

As "rumored" here in this forum, the next MC version is likely to....
The more I hear about the next version, the harder it is to wait!  ;D

zurik

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 08:06:23 pm »

Just wanted to let you know I tried filtering out missing files. This works great. The filter feature is really cool, I didn't even know MC had it...

zurik

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 08:47:02 pm »

Someone had asked why automatic folder monitoring is nessacary. In my situation, I subscribe to Napster's subscription service. It gives me all the music I can download for one monthly fee. Anyway, so I download new music frequently. Since MC11 doesn't support automatic monitoring, it is unaware of new music which I've downloaded. Having to manually import music each time just doesn't cut it. This is why WMP10's automatic monitoring is the biggest godsend -- It's always aware of the new music I've downloaded. I can't believe MC, being at version 11, doesn't have something like this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up