INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training What can MC do?  (Read 3357 times)

iajim

• Recent member
Training What can MC do?
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:29:38 pm »

I am making good headway using MC11 and like the program.

But, it would be nice if there was a training manual or video. It seems like the mindset is "here it is it will do a lot but you have to figure out what it can do for yourself".
We seem to always get good help from the forum when questions arise. But I am sure most people are having to guess what the program should be able to do then try to figure out how up to the point they get stumped then ask for help.

You guys are great engineers and developers, but need some work on marketing.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
Re: Training What can MC do?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:23:51 pm »

I think one of the problems is that how can you teach someone how to use a program that is sooo flexible you can use it in sooo many ways. Yes, it is frustrating to start with... Yes, maybe the helpfile to get you started could be a little better, but no, I don't think you could use video tutorials as it'll just mean everyone becomes set in, I must use it this way...

Try it, it's flexible... it's good... (in fact I looked for 2 years for a media application)... it's great!

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:29:32 pm »

I don't know I think it's quite a good idea.
Flexabilitys only good if you know how to wield it....
I think I'd have saved heaps of time, if there were a few video
demonstrations of things you can do in Media Center.

I use Corel Draw for making graphics, and over at Win Customize
theres a series of simple video tutorials showing how to create certain
effects.  I've used Corel on and off for 10 years and had no idea
how to do some things I learnt from the videos in 10 minutes.
I've always known the program is flexable but making the most
of it can be quite difficult.

Media Center can be the same, sure everyone has there
ways of using it but it doesn't mean they are getting the best use from it... and videos are usually more entertaining than pouring over help files!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:31:14 pm »

The problem is there are many ways to do anything, which is the "right" way really depends on each one's circumstances.

I think, the process in learning how to use MC is a question has to pop in your mind first, how do i do this or how do i do it better ?

You must have asked yourself this question at least once or you would not be here in the first place :)

The forum will give you a dynamic answer which will be pertinent depending on how builds evolve.

As opposed to here is a baked set of instructions, which will inevitably be outdated within the next few builds.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 02:34:15 pm »

A few training videos videos would be great to have.

However, I think traditional formal training videos would be boring.

Jim could ask "Carolyn the Cupcake reporter" to visit JRiver for a day or two. Selected JRiver personnel and close friends could demonstrate their best usage tips to Carolyn.

I think Carolyn would be a perfect reporter. I guess she would ask excellent down-to-earth questions and watching the videos would be great fun too.

JRiver could publish the videos on the website and as a podcast too. Perhaps there could be an upload section for user videos too. I think certain forum users would be more than happy if they could demonstrate their magic MC tricks.

Some international users would probably like to send text translations and JRiver could publish the translation files too. (I use separate subtitle files all the time with MC.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 02:40:55 pm »

How about user created videos that we add to a podcast we maintain here?  It would be nice to see a few smiling faces trying to explain how the old girl works.

iajim

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 08:34:25 pm »

I really think you would be suprised at the degree of intrest in something that suggests the scope of what the program does. Not everyone is a hacker whose intrest is in learning how to do something; but reather in using the program for its intended purpose. They are 2 different fields of intrest.

I would venture that you could sell an appropriatly done video for the same price as the program and that 50% of the users would buy it.

After all isn't revenue the goal of your orginazation; or is it just the fun of designing something that works well?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:06:08 pm »

I'm willing to give it a crack.  I do make videos after all for work!

Anyone know of a good screen recording app (which includes recording the pointer unlike some craptastic ones I've used) for Windows similar to Snapz Pro for OSX?  I can't promise I'll make a wealth of them, but I am trying to help show my friend the ropes of MC if you will (refer to my Playing Now diatribe for proof) so I could probably pop out a few...

Jim, is a Quicktime-generated MP4 (I can include Streaming Hints) cool for a format?  Any guess on what bitrate I should use, or should I just send you a variety?  (For work I have presets that generate 40k, 300k, and (I think 1m) LAN formatted files.... I could just use those presets I guess.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

iajim

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 08:10:03 am »

Be careful that the video isn't so complicated to play & understand that casual users wouldn't get it.

Tracertec did one reciently on sound & audio that on the surface seems trivial. But it is getting rave reviews because it simplistically explanes stuff.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:56:00 am »

Camstudio is freeware that does what you'd need Glynor.

http://www.brothersoft.com/dvd_video/cam_tools/camstudio_3944.html

It doesnt have the funky animated bits to indicate single or double clicks, like I've seen on some video tutorials, but it you can set it to capture as much or little of your desktop as you like, and narrate while it's recording.

I've been thinking of making video tutorials for quite a while myself actually. For the same reason, to help friends and family that I've introduced to the product. But so busy at work at the moment (I also make video), that I cant seem to get around to it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 09:49:48 am »

Camstudio is freeware that does what you'd need Glynor.

Yeah... I actually found that today already and am currently playing with it.  Pretty cool.  I should have something a little later...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 10:34:58 am »

Could also be useful for MC bugs feedback :P

iajim

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:13:39 am »

For a good online training module down load Google Sketch-up. Then run their training tutorial.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 04:52:11 pm »

you know, it doesn't have to be a video.  A while ago, someone posted a thread titled something like, "what is your favorite trick when using MC?"  There were some interesting responses.  If some of the more experienced users prepared short explanations of some of their most useful things they do with the software, they could be collected into topics.  Sort of like, "You really ought to try the following techniques..."

Video is nice, too, of course.
johnh

ferent

• Galactic Citizen
  • Go to Linux
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 05:08:33 pm »

I like Topics Idea!!
Go to linux

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 05:32:04 pm »

I started a video project to show how I utilise 2 split views in MC. It was heavy going and I began to wonder about things like delivery, and was it really worth the effort...

I've still got the files, I might pick it up again....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 08:07:24 pm »

I'm about half-way done with one... Looks pretty good so far.  I decided to start with something extremely simple, as a test, so... I'm doing "Using Skins" (not creating them, just a walk through on how to use them).

Next, I thought I'd do a Using/Customizing the Tree and View Scheme primer, which would be much more ambitious.  It might end up being two or three separate clips.

The hardest thing is getting all the templates set up for the graphics and whatnot you want to use.  I spent about an hour this afternoon playing with those, and then another hour or so putting the little clip together and doing the voiceovers.  As I said, I'm about half-way done.  I'll send something for posting to Jim tomorrow.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 08:37:51 pm »

Voiceovers?!!?  :o  :D

I went with loads of annotation instead. If I get this finished, it'll play back a bit like the Subterranean Homesick Blues video!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 10:40:30 pm »

I thought hard about doing captions, embarassed about it being my voice and all, but honestly...

With Final Cut Pro, the voiceover tool makes it so easy to do.... I have a little Logitech USB mic at my desk.  It's just much easier than titling the thing.  And then you have to figure out each time if you've left the caption up for long enough for the viewers to read and understand the topic, and you have to worry about spelling, and can you read it on the background, do you pop out a graphic behind it if not (and is that obnoxious), and then the wording is always weird and on and on.

That's really why I decided to test it out doing something as silly as Skins.  I didn't have to spend a lot of time thinking up what to say.  And honestly, some people might not realize you can use them (or at least the skin effects might be new)...  And, since I'm covering Standard, Mini, and Theater view people will at least get a look at each of the major modes.

I'm just torn now on whether to do these with/for MC11.1 (as this one is - for Skins who cares) or MC12.  Maybe a combination?  Focusing on MC11.1, but mentioning current differences in 12?  Would this even be allowed?

Eh.  I'll probably concentrate on 11.1.  As I said, I'm kinda going to make some of these to answer my friend's questions...  (And she's not really Beta software level with MC at all, obviously.)

Oh, and what format do you have your screen captures in?  If you script it (tell me what to say) and I can work with the screen recording you have, I might be willing to throw it together after I get the Tree/View Scheme explanation one done.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 10:49:58 pm »

BTW, if anyone tries to check out CamStudio (which is pretty cool actually)... Make sure to get it from the official source at:

http://www.camstudio.org/

Or directly from SourceForge.  It is Open Source and freeware.  Don't pay for it.  Apparently there are some sites reselling it out there.  (The link above doesn't appear to be one, but it isn't official either.)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 05:11:38 am »

Training What can MC do?

when i seen this title i first thought about if you played a song and training mode was turned on MC would look at the type of music you were playing and add songs to the playlist that had a similar beat and intensity.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 07:06:14 am »

Yeah.  Me too.  Like a music Bayesian filter....

britade

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 03:55:34 am »

What a great idea!  In-built moodlogic...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 04:30:43 am »

Music Magic Mixer has overtaken moodlogic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up