INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolby AC3  (Read 7707 times)

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
Dolby AC3
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:29:23 am »

Hi there - i was trying to watch an AVI file i'd recently downloaded and although the video showed up fine there was no audio.

I tried the same files in WMP and the same thing happened - but WMP reported a missing audio codec and when i clicked help it was asking for "Dolby AC3 codec"

Does anyone know where i can get this codec?

Thanks....
   Paul

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Dolby AC3
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:25:23 am »

Try AC3filter: http://ac3filter.net

FFDShow is another possibility. It is a DirectShow filter package that contains a lot of filters for video and audio decoding. You may want to make a forum search for more information about FFDShow with MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 02:33:04 am »

I installed FFDShow and that worked perfectly- thank you.....

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:49:11 am »

If you get any problems later, i can also agree on the AC3filter. The 0.7b has been around for ages, and works like a dream. I use this for audio and ffdshow for video...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:32:46 am »

AC3Filter has actually been developed further and is currently at version 1.09a.  Generally though, there is no real reason to use it as FFDSHOW contains a perfectly good AC3 decoder, and FFDSHOW is (of course) far more flexible.  If you happen to need more options than FFDSHOW provides though, AC3Filter is available...

The AC3Filter 0.7 line is certainly deprecated though.  If you're still using it you might as well update to the newest version!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:45:54 am »

I often find myself longing for a cold beer and a board game when trying to figure out some ffdshow settings...

AC3filter has yet to failed me. But from ac3filter project page, even though it might be deprecated, they still hold it as the latest stable build...

AC3Filter 0.70b - last stable version. Has no benefits of 1.x line and supports only AC3 format. But works stable even in SPDIF mode.

But i haven't noticed the upgrade actually, so i'll give it a go in the next day or two :D
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 08:53:26 am »

I often find myself longing for a cold beer and a board game when trying to figure out some ffdshow settings...

True enough!  I'm just used to it I suppose...

AC3filter has yet to failed me. But from ac3filter project page, even though it might be deprecated, they still hold it as the latest stable build...

But i haven't noticed the upgrade actually, so i'll give it a go in the next day or two :D

I hadn't noticed that.  I just assumed that when they brought it to 1.x that it was finally considered "release quality".  Odd that the 1.x releases are considered alpha.  Looking through the forum postings quickly, it does seem that there are some problems with SPDIF output in the 1.x versions (though I haven't seen any postings about the current build).

Either way... I just use FFDSHOW.  It's got the nice little tray icon for modifying settings easily, works great, and provides a consistent (if not simple) UI for all my audio/video playback.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up