INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: system freeze - 99% CPU use  (Read 4491 times)

bturner45

• Recent member
system freeze - 99% CPU use
« on: September 02, 2006, 10:15:20 pm »

*** sysinfo file ***
Media Center 11.1.191 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 458 MB, Free - 87 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive L:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /
*** end sysinfo ***

something just happened that has me scratching my head.  I am still using the downloadable 'for testing' version if that matters.  I was playing an audio playlist which I had created and it had worked just fine before.  started out just fine this time.  it had been running for a couple hours or so I guess when the music started having pauses that didn't belong there.  when i checked it out I found the program 'frozen' with the cpu use at 99% and memory usage of 26,828k according to windows task manager.

it took a long time for the task manager to get it to close but it finally did.  I just started it up and seems to be just fine again.  going to reboot and will be back a bit later to update.  tomorrow maybe.  use it awhile again and see if it freezes.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: system freeze - 99% CPU use
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:21:47 pm »

When I use an AGP graphics card I have in a computer of mine, I am unable to watch video and it locks at 100% CPU usage.  When I switch back to the lower powered onboard graphics, video plays perfectly!  I think I have the right drivers for the AGP card but can't figure out what the problem is!

bturner45

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 01:45:12 pm »

When I use an AGP graphics card I have in a computer of mine, I am unable to watch video and it locks at 100% CPU usage.  When I switch back to the lower powered onboard graphics, video plays perfectly!  I think I have the right drivers for the AGP card but can't figure out what the problem is!

I didn't see it mentioned but I am using the onboard Nvidia GeForce MX 4 card with 64mb.  I haven't had it running for a bit but will do that now to see if it repeats.  Nice to know I'm not the only one at least.

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 12:29:33 am »

When I use an AGP graphics card I have in a computer of mine, I am unable to watch video and it locks at 100% CPU usage
I had exactly the same problem with my nvidia agp 6600GT when i installed new drivers. Reverting back to olders didn't fix the problem.

Try this :(from http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=16292)
A temporary fix is to:

Right Click Desktop>Click Properties>Go to Settings Tab>Advanced>Troubleshoot>

Then Set Hardware acceleration to the third tab to watch a movie

If the temporary fix works then it is surely due to your motherboard AGP driver not beeing installed. Install it, and all will be fine again.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up