INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excluding dir from Smartlist selection  (Read 1382 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
Excluding dir from Smartlist selection
« on: September 04, 2006, 12:21:20 pm »

[track #]==1 ~sort=[random] ~n=200 ~a [Last Played]=>=240d -[Genre]=[Audiobook]

I got this Smartlist from Marko a while ago and it worked perfectly to show me albums I had not listened to for 240 days. 

Then I added a dir of tracks which I do not want this list to consider and I just can't get it ignored.

I have imported tracks in j:\handheld which I do not want this list to work from.

The "filename (path)" does not seem to be available as a field choice to add to the conditions.

Adding -[filename]=j:\handheld has NO effect.  Any ideas?

I CAN make a smartlist using just -[filename]=j:\handheld and it correctly excludes any tracks in j:\handheld.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Excluding dir from Smartlist selection
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:16:38 pm »

~a totally disregards any exclusions.

make a second smartlist. the rule will be: (keep the quotes if there's spaces)

p="name of first smartlist" -[filename]=j:\handheld

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:30:07 pm »

[Track #]==1 ~sort=[Random] ~n=200 ~a [Last Played]=>=240d -[Filename]=j:\handheld

Sorry, not getting it...

you suggest making up another playlist, for what purpose and where would I type that in?

Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:47:48 am »

apologies, a bit slower this time, yes? ;)

the 'full album' modifier (~a) works in quite a unique way. It will override all other limitations in the search string to present all files in the library that match the [album] tag.
Really. for example, if you specify [media type]=audio at the start of your search, and you happen to have image files or video files that match an [album] tag, ~a will list those files too. This is why your exclusion rule at the end is not working.

To get around that, you make a second smartlist that lists everything in the first one, minus any exclusions you want to add. So....

leave the original smartlist as it was: [track #]==1 ~sort=[random] ~n=200 ~a [Last Played]=>=240d

Now, right-click on "playlists" in the tree and click on "add smartlist" (or just hit the F9 key)
In the dialogue that shows, give your new smartlist a name, then a home in the tree, and for the third field, click the 'advanced' button.

You will now see the familiar search field there. Click on the little 'wizard arrow' and choose 'playlist' from the drop-down. Find the playlist mentioned above, tick it, and click the OK button.
Next, you want to add your exclusions to get rid of any unwanted files dragged in previously by ~a, so, after the playlist entry, you would probably want something like:

[media type]=audio -[Genre]=[Audiobook] -[filename]=j:\handheld

Get that in there, and click OK. This new smartlist would be the one you want to play, not the original one.
Better this time?
:)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:39:04 pm »

Aaaah, yes thanks.  Makes total sense now.  I had tried making a smartlist of just the j:\handlheld and tried to get my original smartlist to exclude it, but now I understand why it did not work.

Marko, thanks again for your help and patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up