INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyrics Editor 2.14  (Read 6517 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Lyrics Editor 2.14
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:14:43 pm »

Lyrics Editor 2.14 is now available

What is it?

Lyrics Editor is a plugin that makes cleaning up the lyrics in your MEDIA CENTER music library much easier.

What can it do?

Use Lyrics Editor’s built-in tools that make it a breeze to clean up your lyrics, including
  • Capitalization :
    • Sentence case, Title Case, ALL CAPITALIZED, all lowercase
      • Plus the ability to specify certain words that need to be capitalized in special ways when using the Sentence case option
    • Spacing : Remove all extra spacing, Remove all extra spacing but leave stanzas intact
    • Instrumentals : One button that will automatically fill in instrumental songs with customizable text
    • Strip out text in brackets, braces, or parenthesis(typically things like [Chorus] or {Guitar Solo})
    • Add custom headers and footers
    • Clean up broken line feeds
    • Replace smart quotes and apostrophes with their friendlier cousins (" and ')
    • Change indentation
    • Spellcheck with custom dictionaries
  • All lyric editing tools can be customizably run with the click of one "AutoCorrect" button
  • All lyric editing tools (with the exception of Spellcheck) can be run in batch mode on all of the files in the list
  • Color code the file list so you can tell at a glance which files have lyrics, which don’t, and which have previously been edited in Lyrics Editor
  • Filter out file types that don’t typically have lyrics, such as images and videos, or files you’ve already cleaned up in Lyrics Editor
  • Quick access to Artist, Name, and Album tags
  • Easily add up to 6 custom fields of your choice for easy editing
  • Rate your files from Lyrics Editor using a graphical 5 star rating tool
  • Built in search tools make it easier to conduct Google searches for missing lyrics
  • Add your own lyrics sites to make it even easier to search for missing lyrics
  • Use the optional internal web browser to automatically use selected lyrics on a webpage

Special note - this plugin requires the .NET 2.0 Framework to be installed.

You can read more about it, see screenshots, and download it at http://www.dooftoo.com

You can also download a list of Always Capitalized Words as well.

Recent Version History

Current Version 2.14

New:
  • No new features have been added

Bug Fixes in version 2.14:

• Fixed a crashing bug related to using the new Save toolbar button
  • Added a workaround to a bug where search queries would drop everything after a & when using the internal web browser

Version 2.13

Changes made in version 2.13

• Changed the plugin mode to "Active when visible". This should prevent Lyrics Editor from causing MC to experience slow starts.
  • Changes to Artist, Album, Name, and Custom fields are now only committed when the user presses Enter inside of those fields.

Bug Fixes in version 2.13

• Fixed the bug where the Artist, Album, and Name fields would always be disabled.
  • Hopefully fixed a rare bug where Lyrics Editor would cause files to lose tag information (The two changes above were made in order to fix this.

Version 2.12

• Added right click menu item to add selected word to Always Capitalize word list
  • Added Save toolbar button as yet another way of saving changes to lyrics

Bug Fixes in version 2.12

• Fixed the bug where using Date in the Custom Fields wouldn't update the file with the proper date
  • Fixed the bug where using Foreign Language files would cause some fields to not be updated (per instructions from JRiver, it now only uses the native field names instead of the translated ones)
  • Fixed the file list coloring bug where the file list colors don't show up at all under MC12

Version 2.11

• Search Sites has been renamed to Lyrics Sites to better illustrate their function
  • You can now jump directly to different Lyrics Sites from the internal web browser
  • Updated toolbar images
  • Cleaned up the Add Lyrics Site dialog box and made the help text display optional

Bug Fixes in version 2.11

• Fixed a bug where the plugin would crash if you canceled out of the Always Capitalized Import dialog
  • The spell checker should be better about not scrolling past the word it's currently checking
  • Fixed the tooltip text for the internal web browser's "Go" button
  • New Lyrics Site help text was being cut off
  • Fixed a bug where the Strip Bracketed Text button wouldn't be disabled if the plugin started with an empty list

Version 2.1

• Strip out text in brackets, braces, or parenthesis(typically things like [Chorus] or {Guitar Solo})
  • Replace smart quotes and apostrophes with their friendlier cousins (" and ')
  • Add your own lyrics sites to make it even easier to search for missing lyrics
  • Use the optional internal web browser to automatically use selected lyrics on a webpage
  • Undo/Redo
  • Import new lists of words to always leave capitalized
  • Hitting "Enter" while editing Artist, Name, Album or Custom fields now commits changes immediately
  • Detailed file list tooltips are now optional
  • Progress indicator has been moved to a status bar
  • The "Just Save" button has been replaced by a "Previous (No Save)" button

Bug Fixes in version 2.1

• File list columns could populate backwards if they had been reordered
  • Pasting now works the same way it does in every other text editor ever created

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Lyrics Editor 2.12
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 11:43:54 pm »

Doof,

Thanks for the upgrade. 

Randy

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 08:20:57 am »

Thanks Doof, works great. I have a question on your default install location though. Perhaps because I had it installed before, but it defaulted the install location to:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Plugins\Lyrics Editor\

I changed it to Media Center 12 since I will eventually be getting rid of 11. I guess I could uninstall it and see what the default location is, but it's easier to ask. What is it?

Since I did install it to another location or because it's a new version, I lost the always capitalize list. Just to confirm that the name of the file I need to import is alwayscap.txt?
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 12:56:55 pm »

The default install location for a fresh install would go to C:\Program Files\Doof The Mighty\Plugins\Lyrics Editor. I think the installer I'm using (Mr ChriZ would know better since he provided the template) remembers the last install location, though. It really doesn't matter where it gets installed though.

As for the alwayscap.txt file, yes. That's the file you want. You can either use the Import function in the plugin, or just copy it over from the old location to the new one. Either one will work.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:13:17 pm »

Doof,

When I use the plug-in to get lyrics from the web, I've been getting a lot of crashes (MC hangs & has to be killed).  It does not do it every time.  I think it is just certain sites.  It appears to be related to how aggressive the pop up ads are on the site.

Randy

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:44:29 pm »

Try disabling the internal web browser.

Options -> Miscellaneous
uncheck "Use internal web browser for searches"

Then it will use whatever your default web browser is, which hopefully has a pop-up blocker built in.

Is there a certain site that will definitely cause the crash every time? If so, can you post the URL and however you have it configured in the plugin so I can test it?

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:50:14 pm »

The default install location for a fresh install would go to C:\Program Files\Doof The Mighty\Plugins\Lyrics Editor. I think the installer I'm using (Mr ChriZ would know better since he provided the template) remembers the last install location, though. It really doesn't matter where it gets installed though.

I think on my next install, I'm going to uninstall first so that the default location will be used. Are there settings stored somewhere that I am going to lose or will they be found? I know I lost the always cap but now know how to get that back.
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:57:12 pm »

Yeah, an uninstall will remove all of the registry entries (this is what it needs to do in order to actually remove it from MC), but there's really not that many settings to choose from. It takes me about 5 seconds to reset everything the way I like it. But then, I don't use any Lyrics Sites other than Google. If you use more than that, then you'd have to set those all up again.

Or you can just navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Interface\Lyrics Editor\Options key, right click on it, and choose Export. Then save that file somewhere safe. After you reinstall, double click on that file, and it will put all of those settings back.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 03:39:54 pm »

Try disabling the internal web browser.

Options -> Miscellaneous
uncheck "Use internal web browser for searches"

Then it will use whatever your default web browser is, which hopefully has a pop-up blocker built in.

Is there a certain site that will definitely cause the crash every time? If so, can you post the URL and however you have it configured in the plugin so I can test it?

That worked - no more crashes.

One small point - in both IE7 and Firefox 2.0 it always opens a new tab when doing the lyrics search.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:37:30 pm »

Yeah, when using the default browser it just tells Windows to open the URL. Windows hands it off to the default web browser. How that web browser handles it then is dependent on how you've got the browser configured.

For instance, if I have IE7 configured to open links from other programs in the current tab, then it does. But if I have it configured to open them in a new tab in the current window, then each time I do a search from the plugin, it'll open a new tab.

I'm still trying to figure out how to implement pop-up blocking in LE's internal browser. But I only ever use Google, so it never really bothers me much.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 09:32:18 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out how to implement pop-up blocking in LE's internal browser. But I only ever use Google, so it never really bothers me much.

All of the crashes I was getting was when using Google.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 09:44:24 pm »

Yeah, when using the default browser it just tells Windows to open the URL. Windows hands it off to the default web browser. How that web browser handles it then is dependent on how you've got the browser configured.

I tried different settings with Firefox.  I can either open new tabs or a new window.  New windows turn out to be separate browser sessions - so actually the multiple tabs is better than that.  I assume IE7 works the same.

Anyway, not a big deal.  Just though I would let you know.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 05:44:27 am »

I just loaded Lyrics Editor

Neat Program Doof!
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcwebman

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 10:29:57 am »

I had one major problem last night with the interaction between Lyrics Editor (LE) and MC but I don't even want to try and reproduce it!  I added some custom fields in LE that were Name, Artist, Album, and Genre. The first three were because in this version of LE the top right 3 copy to the clipboard fields were made read-only. A lot of times when going through getting lyrics I would discover a typo in the name of the song and correct it right there.

Anyway, when setting up the fields somehow I messed something up because when I went back to Playing Now the tag changes were being done and I noticed that the very first song had blank data in the Name, Artist, Album, and Genre fields. Fine, I'll just do a Fill Properties from Filename and enter the Genre again. All the tag changes were done and I clicked on another couple songs in Playing Now (PN) just to make sure.

Back to LE and it showed that first song as still having a blank artist. Hmmm, click the Refresh button and it still showed blank. Went back to PN and sure enough it was blank again. Fill in the fields again, verified the changes were saved, and to make sure everything was cleared out, this time I closed MC. Saw a flash of a tag changes popup, opened MC, and the song had the blank fields again! What?  I did the same steps a few more times with the same results without ever going back into LE.

I finally went to the Plug-in Manager and hid LE, filled in the fields again, and closed MC. This time when I went back in, the fields were still filled in, showed LE, and continued my lyrics editing. Like I said, sorry, but I don't want to try and reproduce this one.
-------------
All my media is on a network drive so sometimes tag changes are slow in normal editing. Whenever I use LE and go back to PN, it seems to take a long time as it always has to start saving the tag changes. I used King's Data Master last night for over 200 songs and when it was done, I went back to PN and there were no tag changes being done. Somehow it must have saved while in plug-in. You may want to talk to King and see if LE can do like-wise.
-------------
Any artist that has a & in the name like Blood, Sweat & Tears or Seals & Crofts doesn't work with the Google search. It trims the text just before the &.
-------------
For the internal browser (I have IE 6.0 installed), any idea why I can't edit the Google search field with the Delete key (Backspace works)? Sometimes I need to select the text and type which should erase the selected text but that doesn't either.
-------------
What is the correct key while in a Google search and you decide you don't want to change anything to get back to MC? I was clicking the top right button which works but a couple of times I was thrown back to PN now instead of LE.

Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 10:42:20 am »

All my media is on a network drive so sometimes tag changes are slow in normal editing. Whenever I use LE and go back to PN, it seems to take a long time as it always has to start saving the tag changes. I used King's Data Master last night for over 200 songs and when it was done, I went back to PN and there were no tag changes being done. Somehow it must have saved while in plug-in. You may want to talk to King and see if LE can do like-wise.

it maybe just that LE is in mode=0 and not mode=1

LE should not be run in Mode=1 because LE has a file list and anychanges to the files in what ever playlist your working on would need to be updated. This could also have an effect on your tags going to the wrong file. This is one of the reasons i got away from using a list of file names within the plug-in.

So unless Doof has programed for this, it maynot be wise to run the plug-in in mode=1
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 11:47:15 am »

I've run into the same thing myself, and what I figured out was that, because the fields were blank in LE, that's what it kept setting those values to. If you had filled them in inside of LE, rather than in MC itself, it would have stuck. Enabling the "Prompt on changes" option would have helped as well.

But it is a problem and I hadn't really thought of a way around it until just now.

Currently, changes to the Custom Fields and the Artist Album and Name fields above will be saved when you change files in the list and when you hit Enter in the Custom field box. It's the automatic updating when the file changes that is causing this problem. I'm going to change it so that changes to those fields ONLY save when you hit Enter. That should take care of it.

King's right in that the plugin is set to always be running (another contributor to this problem). The reason for that is because of a bug in one of MC's internal routines that would cause a crash if the routine was called (which happens every time you choose a playlist to work with in LE or when it first starts), the user exited the plugin (to Playing Now for instance) and then re-ran the plugin. I reported this to JRiver numerous times and got no response on it, but so far with my testing in MC12, it appears to be working. I'll release the next build with the plugin mode changed and see what happens. It may still be a problem in MC11. With the Custom field change I mentioned above, the whole problem you mentioned should go away, so the mode change might not be necessary. Ultimately, I think the mode change should happen though, because with it set the way it is now (running all the time), it has a tendency to slow down MC's startup, since my plugin also fires up and starts compiling lists of playlists and files.

I also noticed the problem with the upper right fields being read only. That's supposed to be controllable via the options, but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I'll fix that, too. Then release the new build. Hopefully tomorrow if I have the time. I have a Halloween party to go to tonight. :)

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 12:05:34 pm »

Ultimately, I think the mode change should happen though, because with it set the way it is now (running all the time), it has a tendency to slow down MC's startup, since my plugin also fires up and starts compiling lists of playlists and files.

I also noticed the problem with the upper right fields being read only. That's supposed to be controllable via the options, but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I'll fix that, too. Then release the new build. Hopefully tomorrow if I have the time. I have a Halloween party to go to tonight. :)

That might be the reason then why when I open MC that it takes a little time before I can actually start doing everything. I was thinking it was MC causing it.

When you do make the upper right fields read only, can you please make the text black like in the Custom Fields so it's a little more readable?

Take your time in fixing. Parties are more important!
Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 12:16:58 pm »

That might be the reason then why when I open MC that it takes a little time before I can actually start doing everything. I was thinking it was MC causing it.

That Prob Is The Datamaster Plug-In, Since It Is Checking The DM Server. Setting It To Off Should Fix That Problem.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 02:35:22 pm »

When you do make the upper right fields read only, can you please make the text black like in the Custom Fields so it's a little more readable?

You mean when I fix it so it's NOT read only? :P

And the light grey text is because they're Read Only. When they're enabled for editting, the text is black.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Lyrics Editor 2.13
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 04:06:16 pm »

Just posted build 2.13. It should take care of everything discussed in this thread so far.

dcwebman

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 08:44:02 am »

You mean when I fix it so it's NOT read only?

And the light grey text is because they're Read Only. When they're enabled for editting, the text is black.

You must have changed it (maybe) because in the Options you set one of those fields to read only it does have the text as black, just like the Custom Fields that are set read only. Anyway, looks good.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 08:46:29 am »

Just posted build 2.13. It should take care of everything discussed in this thread so far.

Any artist that has a & in the name like Blood, Sweat & Tears or Seals & Crofts doesn't work with the Google search. It trims the text just before the &.
-------------
For the internal browser (I have IE 6.0 installed), any idea why I can't edit the Google search field with the Delete key (Backspace works)? Sometimes I need to select the text and type which should erase the selected text but that doesn't either.
-------------
What is the correct key while in a Google search and you decide you don't want to change anything to get back to MC? I was clicking the top right button which works but a couple of times I was thrown back to PN now instead of LE.

This build didn't fix the first problem and don't know if you know the answers for the others.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 09:12:57 am »

Version 2.13. I changed some lyrics and used the new Save button. The File List got the song entered again and then got a Microsoft .NET Framework error popup. It works if you continue, however if you close MC, it can be reproduced. Error popup:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Details:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MC_Lyrics_Editor.MainInterface.lstvFileList_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\Users\Matthew\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\MC_Lyrics_Editor\MC_Lyrics_Editor_Solution\MC_Lyrics_Editor_Project\MainInterface.cs:line 3601
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MC_Lyrics_Editor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2492.27356
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Doof%20The%20Mighty/Plugins/Lyrics%20Editor/MC_Lyrics_Editor.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
MediaJukebox
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Doof%20The%20Mighty/Plugins/Lyrics%20Editor/MediaJukebox.DLL
StarRating
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Doof%20The%20Mighty/Plugins/Lyrics%20Editor/StarRating.DLL
NetSpell.SpellChecker
    Assembly Version: 2.1.7.41739
    Win32 Version: 2.1.7.41739
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Doof%20The%20Mighty/Plugins/Lyrics%20Editor/NetSpell.SpellChecker.DLL
Microsoft.mshtml
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 10:39:15 am »

I ran Data Master on 500 files, went to Playing Now, and got the "Saving tag changes" message. It's just a function of how MC handles this. All a plugin can do is tell MC to save the tag changes. MC actually does this whenever MC decides to do this. I believe MC picks an idle time in which to do this. If you run Data Master in batch mode and left it running, it's possible that after it finished, MC decided to do the update while you were away. LE tends to be a much more interactive plugin, where you don't just start it running and then walk away, so you'd notice this. Plugin authors have no control over this.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll get to it.

My guess is that, because the internal browser is spawned from a plugin within MC, that the delete key is being intercepted by MC and not being passed on to the plugin. The same thing happens with the Tab key.

Just close the browser window. I'm not seeing the problem you describe of it going back to PN instead of LE. It always goes back to LE for me on two different systems. Anybody else seeing htis?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 10:52:53 am »

Version 2.13. I changed some lyrics and used the new Save button. The File List got the song entered again and then got a Microsoft .NET Framework error popup. It works if you continue, however if you close MC, it can be reproduced.

Huh. That's a weird one. I'll get to work on it. :P

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Lyrics Editor 2.14
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 12:33:17 pm »

Lyrics Editor 2.14 is now available

What's new in version 2.14?

Bug Fixes in version 2.14:

• Fixed a crashing bug related to using the new Save toolbar button
  • Added a workaround to a bug where search queries would drop everything after a & when using the internal web browser

You can download it at http://www.dooftoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up