INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 Secure Rips vs EAC?  (Read 2045 times)

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
MC11 Secure Rips vs EAC?
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:37:40 am »

Has anyone compared MC11 secure rips with Exact Audio Copy+Accurate Rip in secure mode?  Since Accurate Rip doesn't work with MC I don't know of an easy way to compare the two methods.  I'm archivng a few hundred cds onto my HD in flac, and have been using EAC for ripping and MC for playbak.  It would be nice to use one program for everything.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC11 Secure Rips vs EAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:43:20 am »

Has anyone compared MC11 secure rips with Exact Audio Copy+Accurate Rip in secure mode?  Since Accurate Rip doesn't work with MC I don't know of an easy way to compare the two methods.  I'm archivng a few hundred cds onto my HD in flac, and have been using EAC for ripping and MC for playbak.  It would be nice to use one program for everything.

I have compared files ripped and compressed to FLAC by EAC and MC 11.  Here is the gist of the results:

- On files that MC 11 was able to rip with confidence of accuracy, EAC gave identical results.  This was true for tracks that MC 11 ripped with no extra re-reads and for tracks that required some extra re-reads.

- When MC 11 is unable to rip a track with reliable results, EAC has NEVER been able to rip that track with confidence either.  The resulting files often have audible glitches and those glitches may be different for the MC 11 and EAC produced files.  No advantage to EAC there either.

- I have found no significant difference in speed between MC 11 secure mode and EAC secure mode Test and Copy.

- Only 1-1.5% of my CDs have had one or more problem tracks that could not be read reliably.

Here is the thread where I discussed my results. 
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33554.0

Since then I have finished ripping my CD collection with no change to my experience.   When I encounter a problem track using MC 11, I still  try to rip it with EAC.  No magic yet.

There have been other threads on MC 11 vs. EAC for ripping.  You can search for them and get more info.

Bill

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:42:28 pm »

There have been many discussions here on this subject over the past couple of years and the conclusion has generally been that MC's ripping in virtually all modes is either equal or better than EAC's. There really is no reason to rip with anything else but MC.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:33:48 pm »

Has anyone compared MC11 secure rips with Exact Audio Copy+Accurate Rip in secure mode?

Yes.

Long answer: Search the forums here for "secure eac" and you'll find all you need (remember to increase the number of days in the date range area of the search).

Short answer: MC is as-good-as-if-not-slightly-better-than EAC.  There is one small CUE file related deficiency but it isn't rip quality related (it is more about the ability to create a complete clone of a pressed CD).

Here's a recent thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35174.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up