INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import works well but Auto Remove?  (Read 3445 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Auto Import works well but Auto Remove?
« on: November 27, 2006, 02:42:03 pm »

The new auto import feature is really a blessing, however I wonder if there is also some hidden auto-remove feature when I delete a folder?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto Import works well but Auto Remove?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:38:19 pm »

There is.  In the Auto-Import Options dialog, you can set MC12 to Fix broken links.  There are three options:  Yes, Yes (leave network files), and No.

1. Yes:

Automatically removes any files from the database that it finds missing on disk.  Be very careful with this setting if any of your disks are removable or network.  If the disk is disconnected, that counts as "missing" and the files will be removed.

2. Yes (leave network files):

Same as #1, except for that files living on a network (or removable) disk are left alone.  This is useful in case the server goes down (or you trip over and unplug your network or USB cord).  Otherwise, MC12 would happily annihilate your library.  This is MC12's default setting.

3. No:

Doesn't automatically remove anything.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:45:39 pm »

Quote from: glynor link=topic=37344.msg254799#msg254799

1. Yes:

Automatically removes any files from the database that it finds missing on disk. Be very careful with this setting if any of your disks are removable or network. If the disk is disconnected, that counts as "missing" and the files will be removed.

I've never tested it, but with this setting, does Auto Import really REMOVE files automatically from your library if say your network went down for a while? I would've hoped that MC's inability to communicate with a network drive (or equivilent device) at all for a period of time is much different from detecting that a watch folder or it's contents have been deleted.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:50:48 pm »

and on a similar note, how do you do this if you're NOT using Auto Import?

i.e. if you externally deleted files that were in the library, how do you get MC to remove them from the library?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:31:33 pm »

I've never tested it, but with this setting, does Auto Import really REMOVE files automatically from your library if say your network went down for a while? I would've hoped that MC's inability to communicate with a network drive (or equivilent device) at all for a period of time is much different from detecting that a watch folder or it's contents have been deleted.

I have tested it and yes, it does.  However, I only had the issue occur when starting up MC with the option set to yes and my USB drive disconnected (it was on my laptop and it was an oops but not a huge one).  I don't know if the auto-running Otto would have been so efficient (had I disconnected the drive while MC was open) but I suspect it would be much the same.  Perhaps it would be slower though, since it might not "detect" the change (when MC starts up, it does a semi-manual Auto-check), I'm not sure on this...

To the OS (and to MC) there really is no difference between the file being deleted and the file just being missing.  Perhaps MC could check to see if the drive was accessible at all and then not remove the files if not, but this would add overhead and frankly, that's what option #2 is for.

and on a similar note, how do you do this if you're NOT using Auto Import?

i.e. if you externally deleted files that were in the library, how do you get MC to remove them from the library?

Simple.  The option still applies to manually initiated Auto-Import runs.  Simply configure the option as desired and then when you want to remove the files, do a Tools --> Run Auto-Import Now.  This has not changed from MC11.1, only the place where it was configured and initiated was modified a bit.

Quite often, if I have a lot of files that I need to remove from MC that happen to live on a network drive or something similar, I'll make darn-well sure my network drives are all connected and working, backup my library, and then switch the option to #1 (Yes) and run a manual scan.  Afterwards, I immediately switch back to option #2.

Generally I just delete or move files from within MC, but sometimes it happens and I need to fix MC's library to match!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 07:22:56 pm »

Perhaps MC could check to see if the drive was accessible at all and then not remove the files if not, but this would add overhead and frankly, that's what option #2 is for.

This is how I would've expected it to work. Option #2 is simply not an option if all your media in centralised and you want to make use of this auto remove feature.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

simon.windisch

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:27:21 pm »

As the previous person pinted out, We, and lots of people use a file server to keep music centrally, so the directories are always changing on the file server, and auto delete would be useful, but not if there was a network problem.

So another option would be for MC to check if the drive were connected but the folder was deleted, and if so than auto remove, but if the drive is missing and so is the folder then don't auto remove.

Just a thought.

Simon

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:40:37 pm »

As the previous person pinted out, We, and lots of people use a file server to keep music centrally, so the directories are always changing on the file server, and auto delete would be useful, but not if there was a network problem.

So another option would be for MC to check if the drive were connected but the folder was deleted, and if so than auto remove, but if the drive is missing and so is the folder then don't auto remove.

Just a thought.

Simon

The default option "Yes (protect network files)" does just what you're describing, only at the directory level.

If the directory exists but the file is missing, we know the file is really gone. 

If the directory is gone and the file is gone and it's on a network, we leave the file alone. (I can't think of a way to know if the drive is really gone since network paths could be as simple as \\matt\share)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:41:43 pm »

How about if the file is removed and re-imported? (ie. a video file is moved outside of MC). Is there any way that it could retain it's library info? This is especially important for untaggable files.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:51:18 am »

How about if the file is removed and re-imported? (ie. a video file is moved outside of MC). Is there any way that it could retain it's library info? This is especially important for untaggable files.

As long as it's moved to a folder MC is watching, the file will retain all information.  (i.e. the broken link is fixed instead of removed)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up