INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It Appears that.... [timing of new releases]  (Read 2699 times)

kayleigh07

It Appears that.... [timing of new releases]
« on: December 02, 2006, 06:02:48 pm »

It appears that a new beta version of Media Center 12 is uploaded to this site every other day or every couple of days. Am I right? If so then do you think that the final version of MC12 will be released soon? Because I have never seen new beta vesions of a piece of software become available so quickly! Also do you people believe that the final version of MC12 will be released before New Years 2007, if it is released soon?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: It Appears that....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:29:02 pm »

JRiver has always (at least ever since I've been here which started with version 7) released betas with this frequency. Once they start releasing public betas, there is typically a new build posted nearly every week day. This continues even after release of the "final" product, and really only starts to slow down when they start work on the next version.

kayleigh07

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:46:01 pm »

Okay, so after version 12 final is released they'll immediately start posting beta versions of 13..Is that what you are saying? Until beta versions of 13 stop and then they start posting beta versions of 14?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:51:40 pm »

Okay, so after version 12 final is released they'll immediately start posting beta versions of 13..Is that what you are saying?
No

MC12 Is Not Released

MC12 Is In Beta, It Is For Sale Now, You Can Buy It.

There Is No Prediction Of When MC12 Will Be Released

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:21:45 pm »

There Is No Prediction Of When MC12 Will Be Released
April 1?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 11:38:01 pm »

Okay, so after version 12 final is released they'll immediately start posting beta versions of 13..Is that what you are saying? Until beta versions of 13 stop and then they start posting beta versions of 14?

Not exactly. There's usually a lull period of a few months after a version is released. During that period they're working on the next major version, but there aren't any public betas. At least that's been the pattern since I've been here.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 06:55:25 am »

April 1?

What April Fools Day?

I Think It Is Ready When You And The JRiver Gang Wake Up One Day And Think It Is So. J River Has Never Had A Set Time To Release MC (Except For Pong, And I'm Guessing Out Side Projects).

Not That I Am Complaining, But I Don't Think Anyone Has Ever Predicted It Correctly.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 07:32:33 am »

I'm going for Febuary 3rd.
Just after tea.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 10:15:28 am »

Not exactly. There's usually a lull period of a few months after a version is released. During that period they're working on the next major version, but there aren't any public betas. At least that's been the pattern since I've been here.

Well... After they sober up (and get back from their well-deserved vacations), they start working on the next version.  But yeah, that's how it generally goes.

Once they decide that a version "is done", they'll go into a "bug hunting mode" (meaning that no new features are added -- despite all the complaining to the contrary -- and they just find problems with the new versions).  These are generally called "release candidates" (well, that was the pattern for v11 anyway), and that will continue on until all the bugs are gone (ha ha).  It's during this time that they also generally ask for some help updating the help file, and I would guess they start prepping the web site for info about the new version (though it looks like it's mostly already prepped now).

Then, some random day, word will come down from On High (JimH) that It Is DoneTM and they will "release it".  This basically entails changing the title of the build thread from "Release Candidate" to "Final".  They take a short break, and then they resume releasing builds fixing all the bugs that didn't get fixed before...

It appears that a new beta version of Media Center 12 is uploaded to this site every other day or every couple of days. Am I right?

Yes.  This is important because some of us go into fits and convulsions if we don't get our Daily Bread Build.   ;D

If so then do you think that the final version of MC12 will be released soon? Because I have never seen new beta vesions of a piece of software become available so quickly!

No.  I'd say we have some time yet, though this one does seem to be "maturing" a bit earlier than last time.  As far as the new betas?  You've never dealt with JRiver's betas before then!  Jim keeps his developers chained to their desks (like EA but time off for good behavior I'm told).  Just kidding, of course... That's actually the beauty of their method.  No firm due dates.  No real "crunch" (not for "us" anyway -- other customers might not be so kind).

Also do you people believe that the final version of MC12 will be released before New Years 2007, if it is released soon?

Magic Eight Ball says "Doesn't Look Good".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: It Appears that.... [timing of new releases]
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 10:16:39 am »

Same question was already answered here

Right.  Just to beat the dead horse.  All new MC11.1 licenses now "include" an update to MC12 free of charge.

I too agree though.  MC12 is plenty stable to use now.  It includes a lot of new features, and if you're new to MC, you might as well start off learning the latest and best.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 10:44:12 am »

Then, some random day, word will come down from On High (JimH) that It Is DoneTM and they will "release it".

That Should Be:

Word Will Come Down From Mount Olympus

Note: Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades Are Jim's Brothers
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 06:51:14 pm »

It's like any addictive drug...MC beta addicticts have to have their fix every day! Weekends can be excruciating! ;)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 07:49:33 pm »

It's like any addictive drug...MC beta addicticts have to have their fix every day!

or Heart pills.

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 07:34:50 am »

or Heart pills.

Why are people so concerned when 12 final will be out? I love when things are in Beta, it's easier to get things tweaked.

-

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 08:01:38 am »

Why are people so concerned when 12 final will be out? I love when things are in Beta, it's easier to get things tweaked.

Didn't anyone tell you, once you take the word Beta off an application it instantly becomes
perfect, with no need for things to be tweaked  ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 07:36:43 pm »

Why are people so concerned when 12 final will be out?

No Clue
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up