INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find/Replace-path library problem  (Read 6798 times)

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Find/Replace-path library problem
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:22:22 pm »

In my betas 139 and 147 the Find-Replace (path) chokes/freezes/hangs for any quantities over a few thousand...

=====
The Find-Replace function requires 60%-80% of my cpu cycles; I see that my SpySweeper also frequently sucks cycles this high, perhaps causing a great sucking noise...
(I have a 3.2Ghz proc and 4gb of ram...)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Find/Replace-path library function broken
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:50:05 pm »

when you do this, MC is actually Moving The Files And Changing The Path Text.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Find/Replace-path library function broken
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:59:39 pm »

My path change was from m: to e:

My m: drive is no longer accessible (it's a NAS raid) to copy or move from as I have already copied them to e:

I was able to change the path on about 90,000 files doing it a few thousand at a time; I assume(d) the change is taking place in the library database...

=====
Also, importing on my new (usb-attached) drive still fails to import some 6,000 files for no apparent reason; I posted snippets of log files in another thread here but got no response: note the "failed to analyze/add" comments:

0996016: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 1\Larry Verne - Wacky Favorites Disc 1 - 09 - Mister Custer.mp3
0996047: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996047: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 1\Ray Stevens - Wacky Favorites Disc 1 - 10 - The Mississippi Squirrel Revival.mp3
0996094: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996094: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 1\The Trashmen - Wacky Favorites Disc 1 - 19 - Surfin' Bird.mp3
0996141: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996141: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Bobby Bare - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 10 - All American Boy.mp3
0996188: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996188: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Commander Cody - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 09 - Hot Rod Lincoln.mp3
0996250: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996250: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Hen House Five - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 11 - In The Mood.mp3
0996297: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996297: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Hollywood Argyles - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 02 - Aleey Opp.mp3
0996344: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996344: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Jerry Reed - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 19 - When Your'e Hot, You're Hot.mp3
0996375: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996375: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Johnny Cash - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 13 - A Boy Named Sue.mp3
0996422: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996422: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Lou Monte - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 12 - Pepino The Italian Mouse.mp3
0996469: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996469: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Rick Dees - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 18 - Disco Duck.mp3
0996516: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996516: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wacky Favorites\Wacky Favorites Disc 2\Tom Glazer - Wacky Favorites Disc 2 - 05 - On Top Of Spaghetti.mp3
0996547: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996547: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wagner - Apocalypse Now.mp3
0996641: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996641: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals.mp3
0996703: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996703: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\We Love You Lil (Lili Marlen) - Eric Burdon & the Animals.mp3
0996750: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996750: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\When I Was Young - Eric Burdon & the Animals.mp3
0996828: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996828: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wilson Pickett\Greatest Hits\02-in the midnight hour.mp3
0996891: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996891: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wilson Pickett\Greatest Hits\03-634-5789.mp3
0996922: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996922: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wilson Pickett\Greatest Hits\04-nine nine and one half.mp3
0996985: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0996985: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wilson Pickett\Greatest Hits\05-land of 1000 dance.mp3
0997047: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
0997047: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: E:\Music\Wilson Pickett\Greatest Hits\06-everybody needs somebody to love.mp3
0997094: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Find/Replace-path library problem
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:03:41 pm »

I assume(d) the change is taking place in the library database...

No, it does not work that way

My m: drive is no longer accessible

And thats Why It Was Hanging
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:43:21 am »

I've never done this using v12, but what you describe is exactly how I would have gone about this job, and I would have expected the job to be done in a matter of minutes.

Find/replace works like so:

If the files are, as far as MC is concerned, 'missing', (MC places the 'broken link' red cross icon beside the file) then the find and replace tool can be used to fix the broken links provided you kept the same base directory structure when you moved the files. In this scenario, you are correct in your assumption that the changes are 'database only', and when the job is done, MC rechecks the database entries, finds the files, and so all the broken links are now fixed.

If the files are not missing, and you use the find/replace tool to make a change to the [filename] field, then MC will physically move the files from their existing location to the location you have specified in your find/replace command. For 90000 files, this would take an age and a day to complete.

Moot points now as you appear to have things sorted now, but probably worth mentioning anyway:

The only 2 things I can think of that would interfere with this entire process are MC's Auto-Import, and/or the settings under "Fix or Remove Broken Links".
If auto-import is watching the m: drive, and you have the 'fix or remove broken links' option set to "Yes", then the auto-import system would most likely be systematically removing the 'missing' files from your library, and likewise, if you've set it to watch the e: drive, it will be automatically importing those files as new library entries, probably at the same time as your find/replace job is running, creating an awful mess in the process.
If you know your library well, you can verify this by checking the import date of your files. If files that you know you imported 5 years ago are showing up as imported days ago, then 'auto-import' is the culprit for sure. If this turns out to be the case, turn off the auto-import system, restore from a 'pre e: drive' library backup and try your find/replace task again.

If the fix or remove broken links option is set to leave network files, then it's possible that MC is scanning the network for the files it expects to find on m: before making each 'find/replace' job. Try just setting this option to simply "No" while you get the job done.

-marko.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 06:01:39 am »

you are correct in your assumption that the changes are 'database only'

I Don't Think So.

Turn Off Auto Import Update

Do A Search And Replace

It Moves The File
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gappie

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:05:46 am »

I Don't Think So.

Do A Search And Replace

It Moves The File

not always. ifo files just stay were they are, for instance, and find and replace can be used to change just the library fields.

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 06:59:14 am »

I just did this exact thing.

I moved the files first from a mapped M: to a local D: drive.
After moving I did a find and replace on the file name replacing M: with D:\music..

Took two hours to physically copy the music.
The find and replace and tag updates approx 20 minutes.

I think MC is smart enough to say if the file is already there I don't need to move it.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 09:19:32 am »

Maybe it should be in a different thread, but note my original post addendum:

When an MC process and an A/V Suite, in my case SpySweeper, are both demanding 70%-80% of my cpu cycles, it seemed that MC was the loser and hung up during the find/replace process.

I am inquiring from WebRoot/SpySweeper why, under any circumstances, should any security suite be frequently demanding the majority of my cpu, especially since mine is a 3.2.

I like to think that Vista may manage stuff like this better, but...

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:27:02 pm »

Nick--

FWIW, and I may be way OT here, but certain AV packages will scan files anytime they are moved.  Norton is one, if I remember, and maybe SpySweeper is doing this too.  This would be one reason you are getting such a CPU load, but it would stop when MC finishes moving files.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 02:04:16 pm »

I appreciate your comment--I haven't gotten a response from SpySweeper yet but have noticed that its cpu usage goes way up with any local i/o which I guess includes MC process...

I have been a paying customer of ZoneAlarm stuff for years but had to uninstall it recently because of bsods and other errors from 2 or 3 of its processes...

I wouldn't touch anything Norton/Symantic with a 10 foot pole but may have to try replacing SpySweeper with something else.  I have noticed in analyzing crash events that "kaspersky" shows up, but I have never actually used their products (yet).  Guess their engine is being used in either ZA or SS...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 02:08:31 pm »

I think MC is smart enough to say if the file is already there I don't need to move it.

Maybe

wouldn't touch anything Norton/Symantic with a 10 foot pole

Amen
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 02:35:34 pm »

I Don't Think So.

Do A Search And Replace

It Moves The File
Yes, but if the file has already been moved, MC has a broken link because the file is no longer where MC thinks it is.
Doing a find/replace to point MC to the correct location of the file only updates the database, and in the process, fixes the broken link.

-marko.

jgreen

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 03:14:12 pm »

Kaspersky's not in ZA (or I'm missing something), so I would bet it's in SS, wedged in like a tick and slowing everything down.  There must be a setting in there to turn off inspection of files going across drives--even Snorton would let you turn that off.

FWIW, SS was so cloddishly slow for me that when I switched from that to Norton I actually thought that Norton seemed fast.  Of course, the change was simply from slow strangulation to plain-old strangulation--I dumped Norton once I found ZA.

It's odd that ZA would take you all the way to a BSOD.  You sure it isn't a resident virus saying "No, I'm staying where I am"?  I've locked up my box plenty fooling with the settings on ZA, but I think the (vast) configurability of ZA is a extra layer of protection in and of itself.  However, you might try taking ZA back to the default settings (save off your current settings first), just to see if that isn't the issue.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »

Yes, but if the file has already been moved, MC has a broken link because the file is no longer where MC thinks it is.
Doing a find/replace to point MC to the correct location of the file only updates the database, and in the process, fixes the broken link.

-marko.

I See...
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 04:12:31 pm »

I have done mass changes like this numerous times during the last few years. Usually I hide both locations - the old and the new. Then MC makes all changes only in the library and as fast as possible. After the database change is successful I make the files available in the new location.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up