INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shell integration menu?  (Read 7787 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Shell integration menu?
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:07:31 pm »

MC used to put a shell integration menu in the right-click menu for files in Windows Explorer that would let you select from different options. There were problems with shell integration a number of builds ago and I assume this went away. On one machine I had 143 installed and the menu was there. I just installed 151 there and the menu is now gone.

Is there a chance that the menu might come back in the future?
Jeff

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Shell integration menu?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:20:41 pm »

It's still there, you've probably just disabled it.
Look at Tools->Options->General->Shell Options->Enable Shell Integration

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:52:11 am »

It's still there, you've probably just disabled it.
Look at Tools->Options->General->Shell Options->Enable Shell Integration
I should have said that in my initial post. I have always had that option enabled.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:57:21 am »

If an old version is still loaded in memory during install, the old shell extension disables itself until a reboot.  (since there's no good way to ask the system to unload the old copy)

So try a reboot and see if they show up again.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 03:33:06 pm »

A reboot on the new machine did get the shell menu back. However, my main machine that I've always used with MC doesn't get the menu back with a reboot. I haven't checked my computer at work which I also always use with MC but I know I have rebooted that a couple times last week and it still didn't have the menu. So it appears that computers that previously used older versions of MC have lost the menu.

EDIT: On all my computers, I use Directory Opus. On my main home machine right now, I opened Windows Explorer and the Media Center menu is there, but it isn't in Directory Opus. This is weird because the new machine is also using Directory Opus and the menu is there. For some reason, I'm not getting the same right-click menu between the two explorers on my main computer.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:13:06 pm »

I still can't get the right-click MC menu to show up in Directory Opus on 2 machines. I know there are other DO users here. Isn't anybody else having a problem?

I would like to get it back but I'm not exactly sure how/where it's stored. Can you please provide some insight and I'll try to get it to appear again?
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 12:52:47 pm »

First, on the troublesome machine, disable Shell Integration in the Options.  Then, find:

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\JRShellExt.dll

and delete or rename it.  Reboot.  Reinstall MC12.  Re-enable Shell Extensions and all should be good and right with the world.  After the reboot, you should be able to delete the old JRShellExt.dll file (which you likely couldn't delete originally due to it being in use).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 07:21:20 pm »

Glynor, thanks for the steps but it didn't work. I even tried it twice. I still get the Media Center menu in Windows Explorer but not Directory Opus. Do you know where the menu is stored? I might be able to find something out about it if I can figure that out.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 07:46:31 pm »

Glynor, thanks for the steps but it didn't work. I even tried it twice. I still get the Media Center menu in Windows Explorer but not Directory Opus. Do you know where the menu is stored? I might be able to find something out about it if I can figure that out.

I'm pretty sure it's contained within that DLL file.  That's really weird!!

I know it's a pain to try (and make sure to do a registry save if so) but maybe a full un/reinstall?  It's a long shot but...

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:11:35 am »

Got it figured out!!  Turns out that Directory Opus has a registry setting called:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\IgnoreContextHandlers

where you put things that you don't want to see on the right-click menu. MC"s menu's CLSID was there. Removing that showed the menu.

Now I don't remember putting that there or even how I would have figured it out. I did a search through MC's forums and there was nothing said about that registry entry. My only guess is that when there were problems with the menu that a beta install added it?
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:02:14 am »

Now I don't remember putting that there or even how I would have figured it out. I did a search through MC's forums and there was nothing said about that registry entry. My only guess is that when there were problems with the menu that a beta install added it?

I sincerely doubt that MC could have, or would have, added anything to that key in the registry.  After all, Directory Opus is a fairly specialized application, and it would have had to have been specifically designed to apply to that specific application.

My guess is that if something MC specific happened, it was from Directory Opus's end.  That key is theirs.  Generally it's considered bad form for one app to mess with other apps' registry keys.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:51:34 am »

I'd guess Directory Opus has a saftey mechanism in it such that if a menu handler
caused issues it adds it to the ignore list.  During the Beta Issue phase,
the MC installer may have inadvertantly fired this off, and Opus failed
to mention it to you that it had hidden it?

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:35:36 pm »

Did you try reading about driver versions for your device?  Some are better than others.  A search here might reveal something:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I'm not sure what you mean Jim. The 2 computers I was having a problem with are not home theater computers.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:37:29 pm »

Wrong thread.  Sorry.

dcwebman

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 12:41:01 pm »

Wrong thread.  Sorry.

I appreciated the "Thanks Sherlock" though as I did figure out the problem.  ;D
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 05:03:35 pm »

FYI, it was confirmed that "A context menu handler is added automatically if it causes (and Opus traps) an exception."  So if there are future problems with the MC shell integration, now we know what may happen.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up