INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a new HTPC Box Today!! (but some Q's)  (Read 3185 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Building a new HTPC Box Today!! (but some Q's)
« on: February 02, 2007, 03:28:24 pm »

Always fun ;D but I've got some Q's I'd love to hear if anyone has had any experience with:
1) can I pull Video (including HD) fast enough over a 100MB lan if I keep stuff on a "server" or do I build my 1TB Raid 5 Array on the acutal HTPC connected to my AV gear?

2) The new Intel MOBO has RAID 5 on board - should I use this OR WinXP Raid 5 Hack OR Vista Ultimate (comes with RAID 5)?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Building a new HTPC Box Today!! (but some Q's)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:31 pm »

Always fun ;D but I've got some Q's I'd love to hear if anyone has had any experience with:
1) can I pull Video (including HD) fast enough over a 100MB lan if I keep stuff on a "server" or do I build my 1TB Raid 5 Array on the acutal HTPC connected to my AV gear?

You can, but Video will be slow-to-start and glitch prone.  I did use video over a 100Mbit LAN at one time, and it worked okay I suppose (but I certainly wouldn't call it "good" or "great"). I now have a high-quality Gigabit LAN switch and all is good.  I'd look to moving to a Gigabit network if you're going to put the RAID on a remote machine really.  You won't regret it.

2) The new Intel MOBO has RAID 5 on board - should I use this OR WinXP Raid 5 Hack OR Vista Ultimate (comes with RAID 5)?

Software RAID scares me.  I'd look for a discreet RAID card with an onboard hardware RAID engine personally.  Of course, those are a LOT more expensive than using software RAID setups...

I imagine Intel probably did it fairly well (though it's still gonna be software based -- done in the driver).  nVidia's onboard RAIDs have been dismal and trouble-prone.  Haven't really heard any positive or negative stuff about the XP Hack method or Vista, but generally those types of software setups are much less fault and migration tolerant than hardware systems.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 03:44:43 pm »

You can, but Video will be slow-to-start and glitch prone.  I did use video over a 100Mbit LAN at one time, and it worked okay I suppose (but I certainly wouldn't call it "good" or "great"). I now have a high-quality Gigabit LAN switch and all is good.  I'd look to moving to a Gigabit network if you're going to put the RAID on a remote machine really.  You won't regret it.

Both PC's have GIGABIT but I'm (still) waiting for a Wireless 4 Port Gigabit Broadboad Router (then I'll see if my cabling is up to spec!)

Thakns
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:10:16 pm »

I'm (still) waiting for a Wireless 4 Port Gigabit Broadboad Router

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you are waiting on... but it sounded like it to me.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:38:28 pm »

For the "RAID" server I'd look into unRAID, Sun's new ZFS, or even Microsoft's newly announced Windows Home Server that will be out this fall.

They're all RAID-like in that they make sure there are multiple copies of all your data on separate physical drives, but they all allow you to pull a drive from the system and read it in any other compatible system.  They also provide easy mechanisms for adding more storage to the data pool and you know you're going to expand it someday.

For a home media file server you don't need the blazing I/O RAID's disk striping is attempting to provide, especially over a measly 100Mb, or even 1Gb network...

-John

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 04:57:24 am »

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you are waiting on... but it sounded like it to me.

Yup that looked good - but as we speak I've got my RAID-5 Array up in the HTPC and it is building the parity as we speak (and watch a DVD)!
JRiver CEO Elect

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:33 am »

Is that wireless router faster or better somehow than the the apple airport extreme base station? I'm about to move to a place with more than one room!!! (I live in Tokyo) and am looking forward to freeing up our macs and pcs (as well as being able to go home and sit on a sofa after work for the first time in years:) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up