INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Browse by Cover Art - then Details???  (Read 2478 times)

hollasch

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Browse by Cover Art - then Details???
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:16:09 pm »

Just getting started with MC, and and wondering if I can do the following:  I'd like to browse my music collection in Pane View / Album Thumbnails mode, but then have instant/easy/or 1-click access to the details for a given album.  I know that the track list pops up when you hover over the album, but I want a full, persistent detail view.  So I'm either looking for a fifth pane that would show details for a selected album, or the ability to easily change to detail view (and back to album view) - easier than right-click --> view --> details. Thanks.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Browse by Cover Art - then Details???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:38:14 pm »

I think a good idea would be to further integrate the library view with the pane view.  To switch back and forth in the middle of a browsing session would be great.

You could highlite a group of songs in the pane view, right click, go to the library sub-menu, and choose the library page you want to see the files organized in!   If you were to start in the library view, the menu for the 'files at bottom', could have a link to the pane view for that current selection.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hollasch

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:13:58 pm »

I guess I'd just be happy with an option of two choices:

• Double-click album cover = start playing album (current behavior)

• Double-click album cover = switch to detailed view.

Or even just a little button that switched between the two, or just a fifth pane at the bottom that always showed details.   Hmmm...

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:56:32 pm »

I have asked for a similar feature previously. What I would like is that if I select a single album then automatically the track details should be made visible (kind of like when you click on a album thumbnail in theater view - the tracks are listed in a list not as thumbnails).

Even better would be a combined "thumbnails + details" view which only comes up when only one album is clicked on in album thumbnails view. Normally, a user would be seeing album thumbnails as it is currently. If user selects on one album by single clicking on an album, this area would be divided in two parts: one left column for album thumbnails and second right part for album details. All the album thumbnails will be put on left in a column (similar to how the panes columns are at the top) - with the details of the selected albums on the right. User could then select a different album in the album thumbnails column and the details of that album will be visible then. If user deselects the selected album then the view is taken back to the album thumbnails view as it was originally.

Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 01:40:58 am »

After the new browsing system was introduced in MC11.1 (thumbs on the top and details on the bottom) I have used the Pane view rarely for casual file browsing. I can quickly find artists and albums without the pane view. I use the Pane view only for serious tagging sessions.

A few days ago I posted this:

When you select one of the album thumbnails the bottom list changes accordingly.

You can access this "Always Show Files" option by right-clicking the top bar that has the thumbnail size slider or by clicking the "text + down arrow" area on the top-left.

After the bottom list is visible you can quickly hide and redisplay it by double-clicking the divider. You can adjust the list area size by moving the divider.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 02:13:29 am »

I used to be the same way until the library view eliminated being able to select multiple tiles and drilling down further. Since, I have swtched back to panes, which with the filtering in both directions and the new 'Search' pane, is the best MC browsing I have ever seen! ;D

But for those times when I do want to see the library view, it would be cool if you could take a specific selection of tracks in the pane view, and switch over to the library view, or and vice versa.  I think this would work for the hollasch since you could use the pane system, then when you want to see the tracks, just switch over to the library view.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 02:56:29 am »

Perhaps JRiver could add a file list option to Action Window. This new list option would show the selected files from the main content pane.

Action Window can already show the Playing Now list when browsing elsewhere so I guess that this option would not be too difficult to add. (To show the Playing Now list in Action Window: right-click the Playing Now tree item and select Edit Playing Now...).

Here's a mockup:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 04:53:43 am »

Theres some good tracks on the 'To All New Arrivals' album =)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 05:38:28 am »

On a second thought, the quickly changing view style should not be too difficult to add either. For example, a new view option could be added: "Album Thumbnails (show a file list when double-clicked)". The back button or a view item selection change would return the album thumbnails view. As said, alternatively it could have some kind of a switch for changing between the views.

The view would change like this:

Theres some good tracks on the 'To All New Arrivals' album =)

I agree.  :)

johnnyboy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 01:55:42 am »

On a second thought, the quickly changing view style should not be too difficult to add either. For example, a new view option could be added: "Album Thumbnails (show a file list when double-clicked)". The back button or a view item selection change would return the album thumbnails view. As said, alternatively it could have some kind of a switch for changing between the views.

The view would change like this:

I agree.  :)

This looks awesome - love the idea of being able to double click an album and have it then go into the album with the above view so you could see the album tracks.

Maybe underneath the cover art to the left have a 'back' button to easily go back up to the albums view and also a 'play' button to just play the whole album.

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:11:49 am »

I totally agree with your request  :)

I was suggesting a different solution in that post:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39259

I think if each level of the view remembers the "show files" option, then we have what we want: A first level with only cover, and a second level with the details of the selected item.
Pages: [1]   Go Up