INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS-CD playback  (Read 12066 times)

jbony

• Recent member
DTS-CD playback
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:53:54 pm »

Can I play DTS-CD with JRM?

My sound card supports it, but what about JR?

Thanks

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Re: DTS-CD playback
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:02:58 am »

I think it´s possible through a directshow filter. Install something like CCCP or K-lite codec pack.

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:20:04 am »

Hope it helps.....I have some MPEG files with DTS tracks (ripped from DTS Music DVD's) and found that MC was the only play that would let me mix and match to get these going.  The key codec selection for me was the Nero File Source and Nero Splitter for these file types as the more common Splitters would not output a DTS audio pin from an MPEG file.
JRiver CEO Elect

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:40:35 am »

Can I play DTS-CD with JRM?

My sound card supports it, but what about JR?

I assume that you mean DTS audio CDs that have DTS content encoded inside the stereo/16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM audio stream. MC handles these like any standard Red Book Audio CDs. You can configure MC to output bit perfect data to an external DTS decoder (usually a multi-channel receiver). For this you need to use the ASIO output mode and disable all DSP inside MC (including the volume and replay gain adjustments). Naturally your soundcard must support ASIO and bit perfect 44.1 kHz S/PDIF passthrough.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jbony

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 08:01:01 pm »

Yes, I mean DTS-Audio CD. I configured MC for bit perfect output.
Output mode: Asio, with no other plugins enabled.

My sound card is an Auzentech X-Meridian which allows me to specify the sampling rate of the SPDIF output. I set the sampling rate to 44.1KHz.

However, When I press play, all I can hear is a big screeching sound.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
Re: CD-DTS / DTS-CD playback
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:22:10 pm »

Media Center is by far the best organizer for my over 50000 files of music, properly arranged in albums, distributed on cds and hdd, all of them properly tagged and with the corresponding covers, some of them with lyrics, all thanks to MC which I own now in version 12 since Media Jukebox, all versions legally payed and registered.

There is only one issue... I can't play CD-DTS!!!

What is annoying is the constant avoid of the topic frequently requested in this forum.
I am talking of normal CD that contains DTS 5.1 encoded material, usually ripped from DVD-Audio and lately from SACD, or handmade converted to DTS.
In fact MC handles perfectly well DTS when it is included in a DVD... but it will never manage CD-DTS or DTS-CD, whatever.

Reasons is rather simple... such format is the quintessence of pirate recordings... and a serious company wont deal with pirate stuff!!!

So we the loyal customers will have to wait for SACD releases, which is the first CD format (not DVD) that handles legally surround 5.1 stuff.
In the meantime we will have to manage CD-DTS in MC as organizer...  and playing it through the "send to" instruction in some other CD-DTS capable player like VLC... or the incredible KMPlayer, awesome piece of software made by some Korean students.
I can understand the reason of J River company, this is just a little issue in an almost perfect software, but kindly be clear... this software wont play CD-DTS for legal reasons, period!!!
As it was clearly pointed in the times of mp3pro, that time for cost reasons (wise decision!)

Peace in the Earth
Daremo

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:33:01 pm »

Thanks Daremo for your update about why MC does not support DTS.
I face the same issue, long time supporter of MC, I have to switch to VLC to listen to DTS file, this situation is frustrating  ? especially as MC is a very good product :) and DTS is its main limitation  :'(.
Is there possiblity to have a plug-in that could drive VLC form MC ?

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:43:24 am »

PhDSM,

I haven't tried to "send to" to VLC.
I have done it with a program called KMPlayer. For the moment I can send just one file each time... indeed I haven't had time to try to send a whole cd... but I think that it's just a matter of time to solve the issue.
Try this program... is an impressive piece of software form some Korean students.

Greetz
Daremo

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 11:03:07 am »

Thanks Daremo for your update about why MC does not support DTS.
I face the same issue, long time supporter of MC, I have to switch to VLC to listen to DTS file, this situation is frustrating  ? especially as MC is a very good product :) and DTS is its main limitation  :'(.
Is there possiblity to have a plug-in that could drive VLC form MC ?

MC supports DTS just fine via DirectShow.

You just need to have proper DirectShow filters installed and configured.  If VLC can handle it, then CCCP would probably do the trick (CCCP includes the "DirectShow version" of the internal filters that VLC uses).  You might want to read the DirectShow faq (sticky post at the top of this board) and then check the reply thread.  I posted instructions on decoding DTS streams in WAV files there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up