INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About DTS non-DVD (CD-DTS or WAV-DTS)  (Read 9100 times)

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
About DTS non-DVD (CD-DTS or WAV-DTS)
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:50:00 am »

Media Center is by far the best organizer for my over 50000 files of music, properly arranged in albums, distributed on cds and hdd, all of them properly tagged and with the corresponding covers, some of them with lyrics, all thanks to MC which I own now in version 12 since Media Jukebox, all versions legally payed and registered.

There is only one issue... I can't play CD-DTS or WAV-DTS!!!

What is annoying is the constant avoid of the topic frequently requested in this forum.
I am talking of normal CD that contains DTS 5.1 encoded material, usually ripped from DVD-Audio and lately from SACD, or handmade converted to DTS or WAV files with DTS signal.

I have tested that MC handles perfectly well DTS when it is included in a DVD using the decoder on my Creative card or through spdif jack to my HiFi equipment... but it will never manage CD-DTS or DTS-CD or WAV-DTS or DTS-WAV, whatever.

Reasons is rather simple... such format is the quintessence of pirate recordings... and a serious company wont deal with pirate stuff!!!

So we the loyal customers will have to wait for SACD releases, which is the first CD format (not DVD) that handles legally surround 5.1 stuff.
In the meantime we will have to manage CD-DTS in MC as organizer...  and playing it through the "send to" instruction in some other CD-DTS capable player like VLC... or the incredible KMPlayer, awesome piece of software made by some Korean students.

I can understand the reason of J River company, this is just a little issue in an almost perfect software, but kindly be clear... your software wont play CD-DTS for legal reasons, period!!!
As it was clearly pointed in the times of mp3pro, that time for cost reasons (wise decision!)

Peace on Earth
Daremo

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: About DTS non-DVD (CD-DTS or WAV-DTS)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 03:43:49 pm »

You just need a DTS DirectShow filter and then MC will handle them just fine.

It's not just pirate stuff.  I have plenty of DTS Wave files that are old Grateful Dead shows that people have remastered to 5.1 sound (and, remember, the Dead allow and encourage taping so that's not piracy).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:00:12 pm »

FYI I have Music Video Clips I've ripped from my DTS encoded DVD's as MPEG-DTS.  To play these I need the Nero Source (Async) and the Nero Splitter to get the audio track to play - the std splitters don't have the correct audio pin outs.
JRiver CEO Elect

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 05:28:55 pm »

And for me, I have a few Red Book CDs with DTS tracks. Ripping the CDs with EAC gives me wave files that playback as DTS surround sound when using the ASIO audio renderer and a digital output to my receiver... They even work after compressing the files to APE...

brad

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 04:16:14 am »

Which filter do I need for playback .dts files?
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:51 pm »

glynor...
I've located DirectShow filters.
I suppose that you have set it for wave (extension .wav) files, those of the Grateful Dead shows, would you tell me what filters have u used?

Jmone,
When it comes to handle DTS on videos, that is not a problem as MC works fine with them.

Brad,
The problem is still with Red Book or CDDA as there is not extension (.cda) for attach corresponding DirectShow filters.
I can play files through ASIO and spdif, diagnostic pop-up show that is working properly, but DTS is not processed yet...
I am still trying

Thanks for your replies
Daremo

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 10:40:33 pm »

The problem is still with Red Book or CDDA as there is not extension (.cda) for attach corresponding DirectShow filters.
I can play files through ASIO and spdif, diagnostic pop-up show that is working properly, but DTS is not processed yet...

Hmmm, but what is at the end of your chain... I mean, you have a SPDIF cable attached to your sound card, but what is at the other end? In my case, it's a receiver that is capable of decoding a DTS bitstream. MC uses ASIO to send the exact DTS bitstream to my receiver, then the receiver does it's job of decoding.

It sounds to me like you want MC to do the DTS decoding, then send the resulting decoded bitstream to your receiver/amplifier. If that's the case, then you really do need a DTS DirectShow filter....

brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 03:20:10 pm »

glynor...
I've located DirectShow filters.
I suppose that you have set it for wave (extension .wav) files, those of the Grateful Dead shows, would you tell me what filters have u used?

Read: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39558.msg269353#msg269353

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 08:12:55 pm »

Brad,

I own a Creative soundcard Audigy 2 Platinum who has 3 digital outputs: a normal 3.5 jack in back, which is useless compared with the 2 sets of s/pdif in front panel comprised of RCA and optical jacks (in and out each one).
On the other side is a Onkyo A/V receiver model TX-DS595. All testings have been done with either optical fiber or digital coaxial RCA cable. As you see with such equipment I can handle successfully any digital connection, as DVD or cable receiver devices.

Concerning computer s/pdif connection, it can manage correctly DTS or DD signals from DVDs, in fact, signal light in the receiver are raised correctly showing DTS or Dolby Digital according to the source, either from Media Center, Cyberlink PowerDVD or other player... resulting sound is awesome!
More on that, when i play a DTS-CD with PowerDVD thru s/pdif, DTS signal is shown in Onkyo, but sound is intermitent.

In fact my DTS-CDs or any other 5.1 source are played perfectly through my normal connection which is multichannel connection from Creative card to a multichannel entry in Onkyo. In that case I use VLC or KMPlayer programs that handles perfectly DTS signal... sound in such case is also awesome!

I dont mind if DTS of DD decoding is done in the receiver or the Creative card as it provide sound of 24-bits/192 kHz, enough good for any ear. I just have tried ASIO as a solution for the problem of play my material within MC.

I want to play my music from JR Media Center, because the huge amount of files I own, have been correctly managed and cataloged using this software.

Thanks once again for your reply

Daremo

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 08:49:06 pm »

I dont mind if DTS of DD decoding is done in the receiver or the Creative card as it provide sound of 24-bits/192 kHz, enough good for any ear. I just have tried ASIO as a solution for the problem of play my material within MC.

I want to play my music from JR Media Center, because the huge amount of files I own, have been correctly managed and cataloged using this software.

You can (both ways).  Read the above linked thread.  Its a pain, but I figured it out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up