INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: DirectShow playback guide/FAQ  (Read 13047 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DirectShow playback guide/FAQ
« on: March 15, 2007, 06:05:39 pm »

Thanks a lot for the very useful information.

It would be nice if some MC features would be covered by such in-depth information written by the MC developer team!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:07:25 am »

Thanks for the information.  This is timely as I've been working my way through what I consider to be an advanced topic.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:56:11 am »

3ivx has a filter pack that includes all filters (splitter and decoders) needed for mp4 type. It is however not free.

I looked at this site and noticed that the decoder-only version (that can't ENcode) is only $6.95.  I'm curious if this is considered a "good" filter pack -- i.e. does it work well with MC and is it problem free?  For this price, it's worth it to me to not have to do the separate downloads (filter, splitter), extractions, installs and "registrations" in windows.  I'd therefore be VERY interested in any feedback anyone might have regarding the 3ivx download.

The reason I'm looking into this is because I want to be able to play mp4 and m4a files without running into the 64 character filename limitation you get with QT.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:36:38 am »

Yaobing, great start.  A couple of links....

Very good FFDshow primer on AVS:  AVS FFDshow Config Primer

The latest (post Beta1) versions of FFDshow will decode DVD if you use the "libmpeg2" decoder and check the "Decode DVD" box on the Codecs setup page for FFDshow.  I have found this to be reliable and stable, but when using "Resize and Aspect", on some DVDs, the menu overlays do not show properly, making keyboard nav unusable.

Gabest MPV decoder
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:53:06 am »

Great Yaobing...
This is in fact a big step forward on handling Directshow filters within MC.
I claimed in other topics in this forum about the way to play CD-DTS or WAV-DTS inside Media Center.
I will try to setup MC for that purpose (somebody else too is requesting the DirectShow filters required in the same topic)
Do you have some experience with it?.
If I succeed I will share it here
Thanks once again
Daremo

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 01:02:27 am »

Which filter do one need if he only wants to pllayback .dts files or .wav dts files?

Any suggestions
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:16:10 am »

Mike, thanks for the links. I will update my doc.

About DTS and DTS/WAV:

See Alex B's posts on DTS encoded audio CD.

For .dts files, try the following (not sure which one myself):

DTSAC3Source

DTSWAVSource
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 10:27:56 am »

Sry but it doesn´t work.

I've tested .dts files with all filters you mentioned in all variants. Then I did the same with .wav and .ac3..... no    
success. With dvds it works with the Ac3filter.... but not with .dts/ac3 files.

Any suggestions. Maybe someone has a working compilation of filters which work.
-- Albert Einstein

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 11:59:38 am »

Sry but it doesn´t work.

I've tested .dts files with all filters you mentioned in all variants. Then I did the same with .wav and .ac3..... no    
success. With dvds it works with the Ac3filter.... but not with .dts/ac3 files.

Any suggestions. Maybe someone has a working compilation of filters which work.

The .ac3 files I tried are from this place. They play using the following filter combination:

DTS/AC3Source -> AC3Filter (or FFDShow Audio Decoder) -> Audio Renderer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:10:30 pm »

Great job on this Yaobing.  I do think it'd be nice if it were in the Wiki, but perhaps once its a bit more stable that'd be good.  Thanks again!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 02:48:27 pm »

Mike, thanks for the links. I will update my doc.

About DTS and DTS/WAV:

See Alex B's posts on DTS encoded audio CD.

For .dts files, try the following (not sure which one myself):

DTSAC3Source

DTSWAVSource

The DTSWav Source plugin from Hypercubemx does work perfectly well on my system but for some reason MC won't play them internally.  Instead, it launches MPC (which I have associated with the DTS, DTSWAV, and WAV extensions), and they play in there.  The media type ends up listed as Data in MC.  Changing it manually to Audio causes the files not to play.  I also tried selecting the filter as the input plugin for DTS files in Options --> Playback --> DirectShow Settings but it had no effect.

Again, these same files play back fine using Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player on my system.

As I mentioned, I have a pile of DTS Wave files now from live Dead shows.  I hadn't tried to do much with them until now, but I'd really like to be able to use these (with my working DTS DirectShow decoder filter -- not an external device) from within MC.

I think the DTS Wav filter is for decoding DTS streams embedded in a standard WAV file format, while the Gabest one is for AC3 files with DTS audio encoded.  The DTS Wav filter page suggests you use the ".dtswav" extension for these files (though they are just wave files actually).  As I mentioned, I tried using: dts, dtswav, and just wav as the extension though, and none worked in MC.

EDIT: If you want an example DTS Wav file, here's one of the Dead shows I'm talking about: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=22184

The files are compressed to FLAC.  I simply used MC to convert the FLAC files to Uncompressed WAV.

I GOT IT TO WORK!

But it took some doing.  Here's how:

EDIT: I moved these instructions to the MC Wiki to make them easier to access.  Read the instructions here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DTS_WAV

This is obviously not ideal.  MC really should just handle the DTSWAV extension itself, and recognize them as Audio and I think all would be good.  Also, you have to use the DTSWAV extension (lowercase is okay, of course), as opposed to plain WAV or DTS, which don't work.  As it is, it's very difficult to import and get these files working.

Once you do though... It's very nice.   ;D

(Edited again to add info on configuring FFDSHOW.)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 04:31:53 pm »

Maybe this format could be added to supported filetypes.
-- Albert Einstein

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 09:27:38 am »

I should also mention... If you want S/PDIF passthrough to an external DTS decoder, I think I know how you'd get this going as well.  I don't have an external decoder available to test with though, so I'm not positive on this.  Perhaps someone can confirm?

Follow my instructions from above, but skip step 3.
Then, I assume you also need to configure FFDSHOW to pass through the audio stream, but I'm not sure what to do there.  I suspect all you do is enable "SPDIF" for DTS in the Codecs configuration part of FFDSHOWs configuration, instead of libdts (the default).

(EDIT: The wiki instructions include this information as well.)

You may also want to try using DScaler 5 as your decoder filter.  I've read other places that DScaler handles DTS much better than the alternatives (both FFDSHOW and AC3Filter), but I'm not sure if that applies to DTS embedded in WAV files or not, and I never saw any good explanations of "why" it was better.

I also noticed that when you select DTS in the Codec section, and you have libdts selected, you have two options:

Dynamic range compression and Check for DTS in WAV

Both were enabled on my systems by default.  I'd assume you need the second of the two to be checked for these instructions to work.  You'll also need libdts selected as your DTS codec for the decoding (original) instructions to work, but again, that's the default so you should be set there.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 12:04:20 pm »

I don´t understand why .wav dts files aren´t supported. When I use vlc player the .wavs work just fine. But I've tested all filters which come with directshow and I've checked the options you told us to use. But it does not work out. I'm using directshow audio renderer with my soundcard. The .dtswav files don´t work. I followed the guide strictly and after I changed the file data, there was the same problem as before.

tn1
-- Albert Einstein

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:51:06 pm »

Not sure why either.  I've used it now on 5 different systems and it's worked for them all.  A few things to check...

What do you get when you play the files back through MC?  Just static, or does it give an error?

Do the files play in Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic?  Unfortunately, because VLC is not a DirectShow player and uses it's own internal version of the FFMPEG filters, the fact that VLC can handle it tells me nothing about if your codecs are configured properly.

You did install AND register (using regsvr32 from the command line) the DTS Wav DirectShow component, correct?  That is absolutely required or it won't work.

How do you have FFDSHOW installed?  What version is it (scoll down on the FFDSHOW Audio Decoder config tool and choose About)?  And just make sure your settings in FFDSHOW look like this...

Codecs "page":

Dolby Decoder "page":

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 01:49:10 pm »

I added these instructions to the Wiki here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DTS_WAV

I'm going to edit the above post to point there instead.

It would be really nice if MC could be modified slightly to "officially" support the DTSWAV extension.  This would allow the files to autoimport via Otto, and you wouldn't have to jump through all the hoops of manually changing the File Type and Media Type.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 03:46:29 pm »

I don´t know what I'm doing wrong. I've all settings like you told me but it doesn´t work. dts is checked and I can play the files with mpc. but in mc12 there is only a static noise. if also tested to check the dtswav filter in mc with/without ffdshow audiodecoder/processor..... no sucess.

tn1
-- Albert Einstein

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 04:05:31 pm »

When you play the files back and hear the static in MC, is FFDSHOW's audio decoder launching (down in the tray by the clock)?  If not, then somehow FFDSHOW isn't being associated with uncompressed audio...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 09:38:54 pm »

I thought I'd mention... If you want to just convert these files to another format, that's more easily supported, you can use this guide here:

http://www.schudy.de/dts/dts-umwandeln-e.htm

Converting to AC3 or OGG should work (though to get MC to play the Multichannel OGG files you need to change the File Type to OGM).

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 12:36:12 pm »

glynor...

I've succeeded playing DTS-WAV files in Media Player Classic... using simply two DirectShow filters: Wave Parse and FFDshow, with the same configuration that you show in your screens, without any change in files extensions.
A good help was a program called GraphEdit that allows you to include any filter you want in and graphic environment, and work with filter properties.
What is strange with MC is that with certain extensions does not take DirectShow filters!!
In fact, I am taking advantage of the function of FFDshow to appear as a tray icon when is invoked.
For .wav extensions (including Windows Media Player 11), FFDshow is shown in system tray... except for MC!!!
Of course, for other extension in MC, specially video files, FFDshow appears as expected.

Regards,
Daremo

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 12:42:35 pm »

For .wav extensions (including Windows Media Player 11), FFDshow is shown in system tray... except for MC!!!
Of course, for other extension in MC, specially video files, FFDshow appears as expected.

In order to enable bit-perfect playback, MC uses it's own internal decoders for many popular file types, including WAV, and I believe even completely bypasses kmixer.  If you have the files with a .wav extension, rather than .dtswav then it will not work in MC, because MC will route it through it's own internal decoders.

As I mentioned on the Wiki page, for this to work you:

• MUST have the files named *.dtswav
  • MUST manually set the File Type for each file to DTS in MC's "tags"
  • MUST manually set the Media Type to Audio in MC's "tags"

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 01:51:13 pm »

glynor is right, as usual.

wav  is played through our wav plugin which sends wave data directly to sound card. You must have an out-board decoder to decode dts encoded wav (when the file is  named *.wav).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 03:16:35 pm »

You must have an out-board decoder to decode dts encoded wav.

Sorry, Yaobing.  This part isn't true.

I don't have an external decoder and I can decode them.  You just can't call them *.wav.  See the instructions I posted on the Wiki (linked above).

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 03:48:29 pm »

;D ...
Thank you glynor & Yaobing for your prompt replies...

I am back on my initial posting... all DTS material without video... can't be played in MC... except if a do the trick proposed by Glynor.
That not solve the problem of CD-DTS either... of such type I have around 100 cds.  :D (not a big issue anyway!)
CD-DTS has become more popular since appear SACD. Ripping of SACD on CD-DTS gives impressive sound to play with, while you don't own  a SACD DVD capable... and of course the original SACD cds.

Let me give you a little more stuff to think about, MC can't play either the following formats:

- wav 5.1 (non DTS)
- wma 5.1
- wav 5.1 (Dolby Digital) called also codec a52

Anyway... J River Media Center is still the best program I have tried. Not to mention how it manages my All-In-Wonder TV  :D

As result of all the investigations I have been able to send all my material through s/pdif to my DTS/Dolby external A/V receiver tweaking either ffdshow, ac3filter, beside Cyberlink codecs which are more easy.

The only problem I have is that MC have lost the capability of playing .ac3 files...  :(
Yaobing was you who posted a message to correct this?... in that message there was a link to Bjorn Lynne page to get some .ac3 5.1 files... would you send me the link to such post?

Greetz

Daremo

PD.: Glaynor if you are interested... I have in FLAC files a Japanese release of the first album of the Deads in HDCD with 5 tracks as bonus.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 04:51:26 pm »

Sorry, Yaobing.  This part isn't true.

I don't have an external decoder and I can decode them.  You just can't call them *.wav.  See the instructions I posted on the Wiki (linked above).

I meant "if it were called *.wav".

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 04:59:59 pm »

The only problem I have is that MC have lost the capability of playing .ac3 files...  :(
Yaobing was you who posted a message to correct this?... in that message there was a link to Bjorn Lynne page to get some .ac3 5.1 files... would you send me the link to such post?

It was my post. It is in this thread, a few posts earlier  :).
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39558.msg269327#msg269327

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 09:13:26 am »

I meant "if it were called *.wav".

Ahhh... Then, yes, you were right.  Sorry, just didn't want it to cause any confusion.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 02:47:31 pm »

glynor is right, as usual.

wav is played through our wav plugin which sends wave data directly to sound card. You must have an out-board decoder to decode dts encoded wav.

Yaobing... It's not more easy to make .wav files to be managed by DirectShows filters as it is with .ac3 files?.

I still have some issue with .wav files, like it is playing sound encoded in 5.1 (for testing purposes use file 6_Channel_Id.wav), all others player plays all 6 channels  FL, FR, C, BL, BR, LFE, while MC only play FL, FR.

This happens too with .wma files (file 6_Channel_Id.wma), in this case I have several file music encoded so, same samples can be found here http://www.diatonis.com/downloads_dts_ac3.html

I mention files 6_Channel_Id.wav and 6_Channel_Id.wma, because can be located and downloaded in many sites in the net.

Greetz

Daremo

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 08:20:50 pm »

Yaobing... It's not more easy to make .wav files to be managed by DirectShows filters as it is with .ac3 files?.

It is not easy. We actually experimented with it a few months ago. Got all sorts of problems. Ended up going back to Wav plugin approach.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05:10 pm »

Thanks again for your replay,

Now is more clear for me that you guys have try to solve the issue, I appreciate that as user.
I hope that this can be solved in the future.
I suppose that the problem is the same with .wma files.

My best wishes

Daremo  ;)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 10:19:51 pm »

Ahhh... Then, yes, you were right.  Sorry, just didn't want it to cause any confusion.

I was not clear enough in my statement. It's good that you pointed it out. Now I edited it a bit to make it clearer.

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 01:39:09 am »

I think it would be useful to add how to register filters under Vista. When you open a command prompt and regsvr32 a filter, you get an 80070005 access denied error. You have to right-click cmd in the start menu and select 'run as administrator' after which filter registration works as advertised.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 10:11:20 am »

Hi Glynor & Yaobing...

Since version 12.0.222 DTS playback is working a lot better, (as is it also ac3), either on .wav files, .dts files and even in .cda files!!!
Using directshow filters... now I am testing a CD DTS and shows the following filters: CDDA reader, Wave Parser, ffdshow Audio Decoder & MJ WaveBin Filter
In .dts files it works directly. In .wav and .cda (CD DTS) the trick is to rename in the tag File Type to dts... nothing else is required (except to set properly directshow filters).
I do maintain a catalog of my CD DTS (about 250) with all the information required including covers.
In the library all the information is kept including this change of File Type from cda to dts... so next time I put that cd it will work fine.
Anyway this option is a bit tricky as sometimes it do not take .cda as dts, when I skip a track for instance, in such case I do reload the cd and works fine again.
I can say that with this I can manage comfortably my music.

Regards,

Daremo

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »

Hi Glynor & Yaobing...

Since version 12.0.222 DTS playback is working a lot better, (as is it also ac3), either on .wav files, .dts files and even in .cda files!!!
Using directshow filters... now I am testing a CD DTS and shows the following filters: CDDA reader, Wave Parser, ffdshow Audio Decoder & MJ WaveBin Filter
In .dts files it works directly. In .wav and .cda (CD DTS) the trick is to rename in the tag File Type to dts... nothing else is required (except to set properly directshow filters).
I do maintain a catalog of my CD DTS (about 250) with all the information required including covers.
In the library all the information is kept including this change of File Type from cda to dts... so next time I put that cd it will work fine.
Anyway this option is a bit tricky as sometimes it do not take .cda as dts, when I skip a track for instance, in such case I do reload the cd and works fine again.
I can say that with this I can manage comfortably my music.

Regards,

Daremo

Hey there,

I realized today as I was struggling to get this working, that MC12 seems to think I have a stereo soundcard and therefore won't let ffdshow play back .dts files in anything greater than 2 channels.  I'm running MC12 v404, Vista, and HD Audio (Realtek) internal sound.  If you're still around and doing the DTS thing, any chance you have this same setup and can confirm?

-Doug

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 05:31:55 pm »

Can you tweak settings in FFDShow audio decoder? Since MC uses DirectShow to play .dts files, it does not do any configuration of audio output. It is up to the filters.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 07:45:06 pm »

Can you tweak settings in FFDShow audio decoder? Since MC uses DirectShow to play .dts files, it does not do any configuration of audio output. It is up to the filters.

That's how I assumed it worked too, but ffdshow in 5.1 works outside of MC12, and inside MC12 for video.  But for audio, if ffdshow is set to output anything greater than 2 channels, MC12 refuses to play the file and instead throws up an error:  "Failed to play xxx.dtswav.  You may not have installed on your computer Directshow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play.  Please install appropriate filters and try again."  Set ffdshow to 2 channels, stop and start playback, and it works (in stereo).

Could it be the MJ WaveBin filter?  This filter is not present when playing video, or in any other application.

-Doug

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 08:53:29 pm »

I take part of what I said back.

MJ WaveBin filter does not mess with the stream. It passes the data toward the sound card. Before reaching the sound card, MC can still do things with it. You mentioned DSP in the build 404 release thread. There could be a problem there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up