INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No video with WMV files. Audio, but no video...  (Read 9684 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen
No video with WMV files. Audio, but no video...
« on: April 01, 2007, 10:30:40 pm »

Hi,

Not sure what happened, but I upgraded to 12 recently and when I open those funny forwarded emails with WMV attachments, Media Center opens it and I get a blank screen.  I hear the audio portion just fine... Any ideas?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: No video with WMV files. Audio, but no video...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:21:20 am »

Go to Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DirectShow playback settings...

Unckeck "Avoid WMV Acceleration". Would that help?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:21:26 pm »

No.  nothing changed.  Never had this issue in the past.

It is as if the enocder is missing or something.  I remember something not installing when I upgraded to version 12, during that dynamic installation period when it goes online...  Is the WMV decoder not installed properly?  I can open and play WMV files fine in Windows media player, however J RIVERS is my default wmv player...  sound is fine, but I get a blank screen. 

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:41:33 pm »

Any ideas... I get no picture, only the audio when viewing WMV video files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 12:14:01 am »

If you had something fail to install (particularly some of the Windows Media components), I'd say you hit the nut on the head.

I'd try completely uninstalling MC via Add/Remove Programs (make sure to save a backup of your library somewhere safe).  And then reinstalling.  If you're completely paranoid, also remove the left over Registry entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\ after you uninstall, and delete the files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\JRiver\.  Again, make sure to back up your library to some other folder first!!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:21:39 pm »

Thanks... Well, I'm so busy the next couple of months, I'm going to let this problem sit.  When I am finished with my oral board exam June 6th, I'm going to backup two of my computers and clear the hard drives and then move from XP to Vista 32 at that time which will likely solve the issue.  I think I have done what you said before, but somethign fails to download during the dynamic update procedure when MC goes online.  I'll just wait until I have more time, besides, I'm going to go to Vista then anyway... My computers are all top of the line (8800 GTX, quar core, etc..) but have lots of problems right now anyway, so its time to deal with Vista and I could use a clean install... Media Center 2005 XP hasn;t worked very well for me anyway...  Thanks for the tip though I appreaciate it.

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:00:22 pm »

There's something weird going on with codecs for Windows - I had the same thing happen to me and a couple of my clients in the last couple of months. It's not just JRMedia Center - Windows Media Center was misbehaving too. I ran into it on WinXP but also on my Vista computer.

I did something that I never do: I installed a package of stuff that I didn't understand, from people I didn't trust. There are several collections of codecs out there - I picked "Vista Codecs," which also works on WinXP. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66826

Bang! Everything started working. Everything plays flawlessly in MC. (Well, except for Nero's proprietary .mp4 format, which is a separate rant.)

I have no idea if this is a good idea or whether it would work for you. The Russian mafia might be controlling my computer now. But I'm filling up MC with video now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:15:14 pm »

Well, except for Nero's proprietary .mp4 format, which is a separate rant.

Nero's MP4 format isn't proprietary.  It follows the standard quite well actually.  Their Nero Digital AVC and ASP codecs are closed-source, but they also follow the MPEG-4 standard and FFDSHOW (among others) can decode their codec without issue.  You just need a MP4 source splitter, but either MP4Splitter or Haali does the trick.

You can certainly decode their file types with the standard MPEG-4 playback setup (CCCP handles them just fine).

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 05:03:23 pm »

When I use Nero Vision 4 (the version included with the Nero 7 suite) to create a movie in "Nero Digital (mp4)" format, the only software on my computer that will play it is Nero Showtime. I'm led to think that the "Nero Digital (mp4)" format is a good compromise for file size and video quality, but that doesn't work for me.

My knowledge of this stuff is very limited. There's probably a lot more that could be done if I was smarter and had more time. I want to rip a DVD with off-the-shelf software, and play it in MC. That seems to be hard to do. I'm up and running now with Nero Vision, exporting to AVI format, but it made my head hurt just to find those settings.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:11 am »

Nero Recode/Vision can work very well, though your options are fairly limited, and it costs money.  There are free alternatives available. What I'd recommend, for both encoding and playback, is:

To handle playback:

Remove any playback codec packs or filter packs you've installed and install CCCP.  Make sure to follow the installation instructions they provide on their FAQ.

To handle the few types of files not covered by CCCP, I would do the following:

1. Read Yaobing's excellent DirectShow Playback FAQ here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39509.0
2. Install RealAlternative to handle Real Media file types.  You don't need to install MPC again as it's included as part of CCCP (so you can deselect that option during the install).
3. Install either Apple's Quicktime Player or Quicktime Alternative to handle Quicktime playback types.  If you choose to install the "real" Quicktime, make sure to manually de-select all the file type Associations possible during the install so it doesn't take over your media files.  You can also disable the task tray icon under Edit --> Preferences --> Quicktime Preferences --> Advanced tab --> Install QuickTime icon in system tray from inside Quicktime.  If you choose the Alternative, same as RealAlternative, you don't need to install MPC, as it's included in CCCP.
4. Install Celtic Druid's FLV Splitter and Filter, following the instructions in Yaobing's FAQ.  This will handle playback of Flash video, such as Google Video and YouTube videos through MC.

To handle ripping and re-encoding of DVD content:

There are two options I'd recommend using freely available software.  I'll start with the simplest one.

DVD Fab Decrypter and AutoGK:

DVD Fab Decrypter is a great, free DVD Ripping tool.  It will decode the content on basically any available commercial DVD, it's free, and it is simple to use.  After you get it installed, simply choose a folder on your hard drive and rip the DVDs in Main Movie mode.  If you are ripping an Episodic DVD (a TV show disc with multiple episodes on it), you'll want to rip it over and over again in Main Movie mode to separate folders on your hard drive to get each of the individual titles.

This will extract the movie from the DVD (stripping out all the extra content and menus and whatnot) to your drive in full quality and resolution.  Nice, but huge.  To compress these files and make them easier to use, you can use AutoGK.

AutoGK is a simple-to-use, free, XviD compression tool.  After you download and install the current version (v2.40 as of right now), you can open the VTS_01_0.IFO file that you extracted using DVD Fab Decrypter as your Input File.  Select which Audio Tracks and Subtitle Tracks you want included in the resulting AVI file, and choose a size option.  I'd target the 1/4 DVDR (1120mb) for fairly high quality rips of a standard 90-ish minute movie.  For very good quality, or longer movies, I'd go to 1493mb or 2GB.  If you choose the CD options from the size drop-downs, AutoGK will split the resulting AVI into two or more 700MB hunks to be easily burned onto CD-Rs.  Then just hit "go" and wait for it to do it's magic (it does take quite a while -- be warned).

One nice benefit of AutoGK is that the files it creates will be compatible with the new DVD Set-top Players that support DivX/XviD/MPEG-4 files.  This is a more and more common feature even on cheap and lower-end DVD Players.  It's convenient that you can burn the files off onto disc (fitting up to 4 movies on a standard DVD-R), but still play them on your DVD player (if you have one that supports those files).

AutoMKV:

AutoMKV has the potential to create much higher quality rips of the DVDs than AutoGK can, and it includes DVD Fab Decrypter built-in so you don't have to rip the DVD separately, and it handles Episodic DVDs much more easily (you simply check an option and then pick the proper Title from within the program).  The other big up-side to AutoMKV is that the rips can be much higher quality at similar file sizes, using some of it's codec options.  It allows you to use the more advanced X264 codec and the more capable MKV or MP4 container file formats.

Unfortunately, it is still under heavy development (and is still Beta) so it is a bit more complicated to use (it's not terrible, but it's not quite as simple as AutoGK).  If you search for AutoMKV on Interact, you'll find some posts from me where I describe how I use it in detail.  Looking for more recent postings should be more accurate, like this one here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38615.msg263907#msg263907 (you can use the built-in ripping functions though -- I've now used them and they work great).  If you use the same size guidelines I gave for AutoGK above you should get extremely good results, though you can actually edge these downward somewhat and still have beautiful quality files.  However, be aware that compressing to X264 takes a LOT longer than compressing to XviD.  The quality is better, but it's more work for the computer to get it there.  Compressing to X264 generally takes twice as long as compressing to XviD would, at similar target file sizes.

The other big downside is that if you use the advanced containers or codecs of AutoMKV, you won't have the ability to play the files back on those Set-Top DVD players that support DivX like you can with AutoGK.  (You could use AutoMKV to make compatible files, but you might as well just use AutoGK for simplicity if you care about this.)  If you don't have one of these DVD players though, and you just want to play the files on your computer, and you can figure it out, then I'd say AutoMKV is the way to go.  You can really get beautiful quality rips out of it using X264.

Other Options:

Two other (non-free) options you may want to investigate are:

1) Continuing to use Nero Recode/Vision.  It can be difficult to get it set up properly to get high-quality rips, and it doesn't handle encrypted DVDs, but it can put out good quality files (and compatible ones) if you fiddle with it enough.

2) DVD Fab Platinum.  If you want to make files compatible with iPods or PSP devices, this great application has simple wizards to make your life simple.  It also has a "generic" wizard, which could probably handle converting to XviD much like AutoGK.  I've never used it myself (it costs $50) but people rave about its simplicity and ease-of-use.

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:03:42 am »

Ooh! Lots of good information there! My thanks for putting it together - sometimes the hardest thing to come by is that kind of overview of a complicated area. I'll go study up and try some of your suggestions.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 05:04:04 am »

Remove any playback codec packs or filter packs you've installed and install CCCP

Hello,

I don't understand exactly :

J River MC installs FFdshow, (witch is the main codec system inside CCCP, I think)

-> So, why installing CCCP after ?

Thanks for any info :)

Jean-Max

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 09:46:45 am »

Hello,

I don't understand exactly :

J River MC installs FFdshow, (witch is the main codec system inside CCCP, I think)

-> So, why installing CCCP after ?

Thanks for any info :)

CCCP includes, in addition to FFDShow, other components such as Haali Media Splitter, MPEG-2 decoder. MC does not normally install FFDShow automatically. Even if you already have FFDShow installed, you can uninstall it and install CCCP.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:07 am »

CCCP includes, in addition to FFDShow, other components such as Haali Media Splitter, MPEG-2 decoder. MC does not normally install FFDShow automatically. Even if you already have FFDShow installed, you can uninstall it and install CCCP.

Thanks for your reply :)
During my install of MC, I have done nothing special to choose any codec, but actually, I find in Video & audio MC setup, the "FFDSHOW setup" : so I think FFdshow has beeen installed during MC install ( ??)...

For .MKV decoding, I installed separately Haali media splitter .. (used also for .TS files)

With Graphedit, I have seen that Mpeg2 videos use Mpeg-2 Sonic codec (codec previously installed on my new Sony Vaio Laptop  (FZ11Z with blue ray))

Question:

-> Is it a good idea, to uninstall all the codecs existing on the laptop, and install only CCCP ?

-> Will J River MC work fine after that ?

Thanks for your help :)

Best regards from France
Jean-Max

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 11:45:58 am »

Question:

-> Is it a good idea, to uninstall all the codecs existing on the laptop, and install only CCCP ?

-> Will J River MC work fine after that ?

Generally filters included in CCCP are sufficient for playing majority of videos. However, I would not uninstall all other codecs because your other applications may specifically require them. Uninstall all filters that CCCP will install, with the exception of FLV Splitter. The last time I checked, the FLV Splitter filter included in CCCP is not good for playing Google Videos or YouTube videos.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 02:34:47 am »

Generally filters included in CCCP are sufficient for playing majority of videos. However, I would not uninstall all other codecs because your other applications may specifically require them. Uninstall all filters that CCCP will install, with the exception of FLV Splitter. The last time I checked, the FLV Splitter filter included in CCCP is not good for playing Google Videos or YouTube videos.

Thanks ! :)

At this time, I don't understand exactly :

My main question is:

=> What is the Audio/Video Codec pack installed by default by J River MC ?

I explain:

When we install J River MC for the first time, on a new PC witch has not previously any specific codec other than those of Vista (or XP), J River can immediately play most of the Video /Audio format files

As I said before, I had in mind that J River MC, installs FFDSHOW

=> is-it true ? ;  Can you confim that ?

Second question :

Does J River MC uses an specific audio/video player ?
or , is-it using MS Windows Player ?

Thanks for info about these 2 questions :) :)

Best regards

Jean-Max

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

MC does not install codec packs. As far as I know, the only DirectShow codec it install is JRiver's own JRiver video codec. (This is a new codec. It is still under development. I have understood that it is intended for efficient real-time recording and streaming.)

JRiver Media Center is a stand-alone DirectShow media player, similarly like for example ZoomPlayer and Media Player Classic are. It can use the installed DirectShow splitters, filters and codecs. (DirectShow is used only with video and some specific audio formats. The standard internally supported audio formats are not played through DirectShow.)

Alternatively MC can play video files through the MS Windows Media Player engine (this is a configurable option).

Real Media and QuickTime videos can be played using the codecs and playback engine of Real Player and Apple's QuickTime Player if the installed third-party DirectShow filters do not support or are not configured to handle these formats.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:18:24 am »

There is a good DirectShow Playback primer that I worked quite hard on in the JRiver wiki here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

I strongly recommend you read through it if you want more information on this topic.

MC does not install codec packs. As far as I know, the only DirectShow codec it install is JRiver's own JRiver video codec. (This is a new codec. It is still under development. I have understood that it is intended for efficient real-time recording and streaming.)

I think it installs the Celtic_Druid FLV Splitter too, but I'm not positive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up