INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networked Library Suggestion  (Read 1965 times)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Networked Library Suggestion
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:51:20 pm »

Per prior descriptions, MC 12 allows a library to be shared by multiple networked PCs, but only the first PC/user to open the library has write privileges.

My suggestion is to allow a parameter to be set (in MC, on command line, library manager setting or wherever appropriate) so that when MC is run or a library opened, that the library is only opened for read access, allowing a subsequent PC/user to open the library for write access.

Hopefully this would be relatively easy to implement and would allow a an instance of MC ("PC A") to be run a library/UPnP server with read only access (and this instance would always be on, e.g. on a server PC); then if another user/PC ("PC B") wanted to make changes to the library PC B could open the library and because no other users had write access make changes to the library. If this feature were available, I'd have MC set to run by default like PC A (which would function like Party Mode) and only when I wanted to add media, edit the library, etc. on any PC would I run it like PC B. Then I could perform editing from any PC on my network without having to shut down the server and any other instances first to give myself write access to the libary.

Given the many posts about this over the years I would think this approach would be useful for many people and with the work that has already been done to allow multiple PCs to access the same library, this additional functionality should hopefully not be tooo difficult to implement.

Of course, my knowledge of how library access is implemented in MC is conjectural so this may not be at all workable, but if it is not I'd be interested in knowing why.

P.S. If this gets put in I'll surely post about it on htt://www.peoplesrepublicof.com  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Networked Library Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:59:57 pm »

I think this is a great suggestion!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:52:45 am »

In build 206 and later:
NEW: Added command line switch /LibraryReadOnly that can be used when starting MC to force the library to load as read-only.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:18:04 pm »

Awesome!  ;D

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 02:47:43 pm »

Now post it on your blog ... go on, you promised  ::)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:40:22 pm »

Now post it on your blog ... go on, you promised  ::)

Once it happens here will indeed be a nice post.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:17:13 pm »

So in read-only mode, does MC copy a the library database to a local, temporary location...and then you can make any modifications you want and they occur just as if you were not in read-only mode..?  But then when you close MC, the temp directory is deleted?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 01:10:31 am »

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Pages: [1]   Go Up