INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on taggin multiple artists  (Read 2732 times)

maruf_65

• Recent member
  • its all coming back to me
Question on taggin multiple artists
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:29:11 am »

Well my question is just like this---

Suppose i found a song from internet with the tag
"ATB with Heather Nova - Renegade (Airplay Mix)"

now here ATB is the main artist and Heather Nova is secondary or vocalist or supportin artist, so how should i tag these sorts of file

if i tag it with the same as above then i got many artists with almost same name, let me make it clear

suppos Tiesto in his latest album colaborates with couple of artist, the tracklist goes here

1.Tiesto - Ten Seconds Before Sunrise [07:31]
02.Tiesto Feat JES - Everything [07:01]
03.Tiesto Feat Julie Thompson - Do You Feel Me [06:03]
04.Tiesto - Carpe Noctum [07:03]
05.Tiesto - Driving To Heaven [04:42]
06.Tiesto Feat Charlotte Martin - Sweet Things [05:42]
07.Tiesto - Bright Morningstar [08:19]
08.Tiesto Feat BT - Break My Fall [07:14]
09.Tiesto Feat Christian Burns - In The Dark [04:36]
10.Tiesto Feat Maxi Jazz - Dance4life [05:22]
11.Tiesto - Elements Of Life [08:25]
12.Tiesto - He's A Pirate (Tiesto Remix) [07:00]

suppose for track 8 -- now should i use the "Tiesto Feat BT" or only tiesto, bcoz its a artist album from tiesto so if i tag the file with "feat." things then i got multiple artist on library

i am not sure whether i make it clear or not

can u give me a solution? plz

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Question on taggin multiple artists
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

The way I solved tyhis was by creating a custom tag that I called "Featured Artist".

So if I take one of your examples below, it would work this way:

08.Tiesto Feat BT - Break My Fall [07:14]

would have "Tiesto" in the Artist tag and "BT" in the Featured Artist tag.

This way, when you create a view for "Artist" all of the Tiesto tracks will be there, including the ones that feature other artist.

A side benefit of this method is that you can now create a view that includes the Featured Artist tag and you can find all of the tracks that BT featured on, even if it's with other Artists.

Michel.

maruf_65

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:50:30 am »

Thanks pal
i will try 2 do as u suggested

maruf_65

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:12:46 am »

Dear mlefebvre

May b I'm too lame, Can u plz help me how to add a custom field called "Featured Artist"?

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:23 am »

Sure.

Click "Tools", "Options", "Library And Folders", "User Library Fields".

Then select "Add Field..." from the very top of the list.

Give the field a name such as "Artist Featured". The default setting will work for what you want to do. But you may want to make the field work only with Audio files just for neatness.

Michel.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:15:43 pm »

Sure.

Click "Tools", "Options", "Library And Folders", "User Library Fields".

Then select "Add Field..." from the very top of the list.

Give the field a name such as "Artist Featured". The default setting will work for what you want to do. But you may want to make the field work only with Audio files just for neatness.

Michel.
Is it possible to display such a new field in a TrackInfo window?

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:25:51 pm »

Yes it is. You need to edit the HTML that makes up he Track Info to include the new field.

Michel.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 06:19:20 am »

I use it almost in the same way as mlefebvre, except i have a list field (instead of string). In this field i do a copy from Artist, and then do a replace all feat. featuring, vs etc. with ";". That way i have column of all artists in my library. And if i want all songs by one artist, regardless of if he/she is main artist or featuring, he/she gets included. Like this:

E.g. (adjusted a bit on your songs)
01.Tiesto - Ten Seconds Before Sunrise [07:31]
02.Tiesto Feat JES - Everything [07:01]
98.Julie Thompson - Some other song [06:03]
99.Tiesto Feat Julie Thompson & JES - Do You Feel Me [06:03]

Selecting in pane will result as following:
Tiesto = 01, 02, 99
Julie Thomson = 98, 99
JES = 02, 99

Using field for only additional artist as mlefebvre uses would result the following:
Tiesto = 01, 02, 99
Julie Thomson = 99 (not 98)
JES = 02, 99

This is a matter of preferences of course. My is a bit less flexible, I guess, but I chose the ability to filter out all contributions from one artist in one pane selection. I dont think i ever will find me in the situation only to play the artist where it has only been "featuring".
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 08:28:09 am »

Using Tiesto featuring BT:

Artist: Tiesto (featuring BT)
Album Artist: Tiesto
Album Artist (auto): Tiesto

You retain the album as Tiesto's album by filling in Album Artist; whatever goes here overrides whatever different entries are found in Artist.

This way you get to retain the actual artists who play on the track in the Artist field.

If you want to "pull" out artists from Multiple Artist discs into one tile, then you need a custom tag field like Album Artist (Custom), for example, because you want to retain the disc as a multiple artist yet have these specific artist have one tile for ALL their songs; otherwise those songs on Multiple Artist discs get "stuck" in the Multiple Artists Tile.

So I don't think you all need a custom tag filed in your situation because you can keep your actual singers/players in the Artist field (which seems most intuitive to me; your mileage may vary) and then simply set the Album Artist filed with the default Artist (Tiesto) and you get Album Artist (auto) = Tiesto.

DC

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 09:03:13 am »

Actually, i do not change the artist field, and rather mark the album artist as Dr. C said. '

But i do find myself wondering if the feat. should be in the name or artist field. I guess the Artist field would be most right, but I do have a lot of names to change since i havent been very consistant.  :(
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 03:03:39 pm »

Suppose i found a song from internet with the tag
"ATB with Heather Nova - Renegade (Airplay Mix)"

[Artist] = ATB
[Name] = Renegade (feat. Heather Nova) (Airplay Mix)

or with Tiesto Feat BT - Break My Fall
[Artist] = Tiesto
[Name] =  Break My Fall (feat. BT)

simple isnt't it, how a Locate->Artist

..will show you all tracks by ATB or Tiesto, regardless of who it is with or features...

a [n=renegade] in the search bar might show

Renegade (feat. Heather Nova) (Airplay Mix)
Renegade (feat. Heather Nova) (another Mix)
Renegade (feat. Heather Nova) (yet another Mix)..etc.

if u have click the artist title bar, you get all the ATB tracks and thier repective mixes, sorted in order, that are in your library along with other tracks with the same name.

I find i have almost no use to specifically create Featured Artist tags at all. [n=featured artist] will show you all tracks that artist is on. Most of the time i want to know which mixes of the same track by the Artist i have, and i have a lot of EDM music working this way.

You might find the name column  is getting very long when you do this, in which case

Options->Tree & View->List->auto size coulmns (check)

will give it a more uniform look.

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 07:11:55 am »

Over time, I have changed to the way zirum does it. I created an Artists list field and in there I have the semi-colon delimited list of all artists for the song whether they are primary or secondary. This leaves the Artist tag with just the primary artist and makes it easier when syncing to an MP3 player so you get better alphabetized lists. Then you simply have a view scheme in MC that lists Artists/Album and then every artist that appears as either primary or secondary will show up.
Jeff

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 07:31:43 am »

If I want to avoid using the Artist tag that contains, for me, a possible listing of two artists (e.g. Bob Dylan & Bjork), I turn to my custom field which mimics Album Artist (Auto). Album Artist (Custom) as described above helps me tag things on Multiple Artist discs without changing AA(auto). So in the end I can turn to Artist, if I want an archival reprersentation of Artist (e.g. various spellings, incarnations, monikers) or use Album Artist (Custom) on a DAP for simpler lists (but it also helps to have all songs in one tile for this custom field/view scheme).

So many ways to meet specific needs & tastes; that's the great thing about this application.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up