INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea: a fixed/docked "Playing Now" view in Split View  (Read 5064 times)

hakuin

• World Citizen
  • Old pond, leap-splash-a frog.
Idea: a fixed/docked "Playing Now" view in Split View
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:33:05 am »

I currently use "Split View" so that I can simultaneously see a Playing Now view (upper view), and below it a view that let's me browse tracks using the tree on the left.  The problem is that if the upper Playing Now view happens to be active/selected, and I click anything in the tree, I lose Playing Now view.   

In split view it would be very helpful to somehow dock/fix the upper view so that it *always* shows Playing Now -- and any browsing you do in the Tree on the left only affects the lower half of the split view.

Lee

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: Idea: a fixed/docked "Playing Now" view in Split View
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:25:44 pm »

Wow, was about to post something about playing now myself!

My request is slightly different tho', and thats to have Audio / Images / Video as well as Playing Now permanently visible in the left (tree) pane. i.e. have the 'tree' expand below these items. Logically, it would make more sense (to me at least ;) ) to have Playing Now at the top of the left pane, with Audio/Images/Video directly below.

I know that there are buttons that can be used to keep playing now easily accessible, but it seems more logical to leave Playing Now in the left pane. FWIW my wife agrees with me too! (or is it that I agree with her...)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:58 pm »

A locked split/tabbed view is really essential since I often select the wrong view for the wrong split without even thinking about it.

I liked the new column split views for a while but got tired of starting up MC and having to re-choose them everytime.

The other thing is that if a view is locked, hopefully it wouldn't be included in the global search unless it was the current view.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:56:34 pm »

I think this is a great idea. We could right click on a tab and select "Lock".

This also provides a quick alternative to tree navigation.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:13:30 pm »

You could right-click Playing Now in the tree and pick "Edit Playing Now..."

Or play with tabbed splits instead of stacked split views.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:26:33 pm »

Another cool idea that would be simple is taken from how the Google Desktop SideBar works, where you can hide it until you move the mouse over the edge of the screen.  This would be perfect for the Tree view.  If you want the tree to stick, then add a tack board icon somewhere on the tree to allow it to stay put.

To me this and figuring out how to stabilize split views are the 2 things that would finish off the overal naivagtion and layout of MC.

robydago

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:23:30 am »

What I'd like are kind of "sticky" playing now views.
What I mean is that if I change zone not all already open playing now tabs switch to the active zone but only the active tab so that I can have two or more tabs (and I guess split views) showing what's playing on different zones

robydago

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:38 am »

My request is slightly different tho', and thats to have Audio / Images / Video as well as Playing Now permanently visible in the left (tree) pane. i.e. have the 'tree' expand below these items. Logically, it would make more sense (to me at least ;) ) to have Playing Now at the top of the left pane, with Audio/Images/Video directly below.

Speaking of the left pane, maybe it's me, but I don't see the logic behind what jriver chooses to put there:
-Start
-Playing Now
-Podcasts
-Playlists
-Drives and Devices

I guess it would be better to just be able to totally customize what's shown and with which hierarchy. I know one can switch off most of those items, but that's not the same thing.

I vote for the auto-hide option!

johnas

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:32:18 am »

I guess it would be better to just be able to totally customize what's shown and with which hierarchy. I know one can switch off most of those items, but that's not the same thing.

I agree. I would like to customize the left pane also.

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 07:56:35 pm »

The ability to customize the tree would be a worthy change. Shortcuts to folders; I often find myself navigating deep into subfolders over and over through Drives & Devices.

The pop-up action window/tree will be here someday.

DC

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33:47 pm »

I usually support feature requests.  I don't support this one.  I think the logic behind the order is fine.  Moving playing now above the three tabs would just look strange enough.  When you have four items (plus the tabs), there isn't a whole lot of alternatives.  Please do not change this.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 12:59:58 pm »

I think it only to be a possitive thing if we could costumize the tree. Especialy the ability to add items further down the level to the root of the tree. But this is all a bit out of the original request of the spilt view.

The spilt view is a good thing, but if you click anything else in the tree it's all screwed up.
The idea of choosing wich split screen to lock I would REALLY welcome!

As I mentioned in another thread, I would also love if the toolbar with back, forward and refresh ++ could be excluded from the spilt views. Takes up way too much space.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 03:39:50 pm »

I think it only to be a possitive thing if we could costumize the tree. Especialy the ability to add items further down the level to the root of the tree. But this is all a bit out of the original request of the spilt view.

The spilt view is a good thing, but if you click anything else in the tree it's all screwed up.
The idea of choosing wich split screen to lock I would REALLY welcome!

As I mentioned in another thread, I would also love if the toolbar with back, forward and refresh ++ could be excluded from the spilt views. Takes up way too much space.

You could stick a little padlock button icon on the far right hand side of the view header with an either lock or unlock indicator.  If you have 2 split views then you would only be able to lock one of them and the other one would remain open.    If you had 3 views you could lock 2 of the 3...

Another benefit of this feature beyond the tree confusion would be if you right click a song say in the playing now split (which I would lock) and do a Locate -> Artist, the lookup wouldn't show up in the tiny/narrow playing now split!!!

JaysonG

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.... I might not.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 08:26:51 am »

You could stick a little padlock button icon on the far right hand side of the view header with an either lock or unlock indicator.  If you have 2 split views then you would only be able to lock one of them and the other one would remain open.    If you had 3 views you could lock 2 of the 3...

Another benefit of this feature beyond the tree confusion would be if you right click a song say in the playing now split (which I would lock) and do a Locate -> Artist, the lookup wouldn't show up in the tiny/narrow playing now split!!!

That's a really good idea I'd love to see that implemented.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 09:41:20 am »

I too use a "playing now" split pane along with a "library" view and am always forgetting which is active and blowing away my library view by mistake.  I am not sure of the solution however.  I wouldn't want the left pane to be unchangable.  Usually I want the library pane to stay around and I do various different views in the left, split pane.  The problem comes when I have made the library pane active by editing or something and then I blow it away when I mean to change the left (usually "playing now" view).  If locking means I can't edit or change things, then that doesn't work either.
John

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 01:42:53 am »

i have tried split view and loved it, but disliked the fact it always got screwed up. so have yet to use it since,

i'd love to see a way to lock your chosen views down as well.

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 06:07:55 am »

Looks like there's alot of interest in this kind of function. Hint hint  ::)
Oh god, I'm bored....
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 03:34:03 pm »

any talk about this maybe being done? I've used the tack(or as it's been called here the lock) for many years on my computers with windows blinds. On the active window that i want to lock down. i just tap the lock. Be awesome! was playing with 3 views again. and it would just be cool to dedicate the playing now view to always be at one location at all times.

_PM_

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 04:28:14 pm »

I second that.
And a lock icon for each tab would be great too. You want to lock a specific tab: one click. Back to the standard behavior: another click.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »

I agree with tabs too Pm. good idea ;)

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

I also use a split view for playing now - and would love some sort of lock.

On a related note, is there anyone to set it up so that the 2nd view always comes up as playing now.  As of right now, whenever I launch Media Center both views seem to come up with the default library view.

Thanks!

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 02:54:23 pm »

I vote to Auto-Hide the left explorer - just like the windows task bar.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 07:10:59 am »

any news on this request yet?

JONCAT

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:02 am »

At least a MCC command so we can use a hot key (there seems to be one but it doesn't work as needed). Those triangle icons are so dang small (and they have to be).

Or if toolbar icons like rip disc are chosen, the tree could auto-expand for action windows activities.

DC

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 09:40:27 am »

I also use a split view for playing now - and would love some sort of lock.

I vote to Auto-Hide the left explorer - just like the windows task bar.

;)
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up