INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overscan compensation problems with PAL (50Hz) nVidia Config to Plasma TV  (Read 1657 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Setup & Equipment  - HTPC with nVidia 7600GS outputting 720p over DVI via a Yami Amp then using HDMI to a Hitachi Plasma.  As I live in Australia the majority of my Video & TV is PAL (50HZ).  I mainly use MC in TheaterView

Problem – There is a bug (just confirmed to me by nVidia Support and I’ve also posted a similar question in their Forums) that their driver currently only supports the “Underscan” feature on 60HZ which means I can either:
1) Select 720p/50 Hz with no Underscan – Result is that I lose the edge of MC / Windows Desktop but get terrific quality playback of Video and TV; OR
2) Select 720p/60 Hz with Underscan – Result is that I see all of my MC / Windows Desktop but get some stuttering and tearing with the playback of Video and TV

I have tried all sorts of playback configurations while in 60Hz mode to improve playback but I find I cannot eliminate the stuttering/ tearing that comes from the mismatched timings.

I have also tried using Powerstrip to do the Underscan but while it can shrink the Horizontal resolution it has problems shrinking the Vertical geometry (it seems to just shift it down till the screen starts rolling or goes black).

Solutions?  Any other ideas would be great but:
1) Can you config a “Border” around TheaterView / MC or Windows?
2) Does MC let you select a Refresh rate as well as a Resolution when playing media eg can I could select 1280x720/50Hz for my playing resolution?
3) Can you change the TV to NOT require Overscan compensation?
4) Others ideas?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up