INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVI playback - MC12 vs WMP (Vista)  (Read 1356 times)

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
AVI playback - MC12 vs WMP (Vista)
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:14:42 am »

I find the AVI playback in MC is poor quality compared to WMP - I understand this is probably a codec/filter issue (of which I know v little), however I've tried both the CCCP codec pack and Vista Codec Pack (v4.3.7) and noticed little or no difference.

For the meantime I check "Use WMP engine for video playback wherever possible" in DirectShow settings, which gives the best quality - but unfortunately this won't allow me to alter the volume using MC (I have to therefore use the system volume which requires I come out of Theater View every time I want to turn the volume up or down).

Any suggestions/directions/instructions pls?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: AVI playback - MC12 vs WMP (Vista)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:35:27 am »

What kind of AVI files are they?  WiMP and MC both use the DirectShow engine, and should both output essentially identical quality.  Knowing what kind of AVI files (what codec was used to compress the video stream inside of them) might help.

A geuss without knowing that... One thing that might be happening is that MC might be using a different Video Renderer than WiMP.  Vista does have a new Video Rendering Mode, which WiMP will use if your video card supports it.  Check here: Options --> Playback --> DirectShow Playback Settings, select AVI under DirectShow Filters (right hand side), and hit Select Filters.  Wait a second because MC seems to freeze when loading the DirectShow Playback Settings dialog.  Then try changing the Video Renderer from the dropdown menu.  MC defaults to VMR9 which should really be the best possible option, but maybe your video card or drivers are stinky at VMR9 mixing for some reason.  Try switching this to VMR7 first, and if that doesn't work, try Legacy (usually called Overlay mode).

EDT: I actually found some references in a quick google search to quality problems with nVidia's Vista drivers and VMR9 playback modes (surprise, surprise -- add one more way that nVidia's Vista drivers stink), so if you have an nVidia card this might be it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:08:47 am »

Blimey glynor, that was some uncanny detective work.

Thanks for the tips - indeed it is an nVidia card, and changing to Legacy renderer fixed it. Although Vista then switches to Basic mode, I can live with that as long as I have volume control within MC.

Ta v much!

The AVI's were produced using AutoGK, by the way.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:26:09 pm »

Ahh... Then they're likely XviD AVIs.  Just so you know, saying "I have a bunch of AVIs that do <blank>" really means nothing.  AVI is just a container format.  The "meat" of the file, the part that matters, is the format of the video/audio streams inside of the AVI.  Saying the above is similar to describing the case you carry your laptop in when I ask what kind of laptop you have.  Nice, but it doesn't really help.

There's a tool called G-Spot, which is invaluable in identifying the different "internals" of video formats.  Search interact for my name and G-spot and you'll find all kinds of information on it.  If you don't have it, download it now and check it out.  You might not understand all the stuff inside, but at least it'll tell you the format of the video and audio streams inside your various video files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 01:30:14 pm »

Oh, and write an email to nVidia and complain that they need to fix VMR9 in their Vista drivers.  There's so many problems with those drivers that they're really only fixing the stuff people complain about.  Completely in "put the fires out mode".  Right now, everyone's complaining about 3D performance and SLI mode issues.  If you just wait for them to fix it, you're gonna be waiting a while.  Every person who writes in, adds a little bit of importance to the video playback issues.

That... or just buy an ATI card.  Their Vista drivers work fine.   ;)

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:00:58 pm »

Hm OK, I'll do that.

Someone asked me what the difference between DivX and XviD is recently and I said I think they're the same except spelt backwards. I'm guessing it's not that simple, right? ;) You're right that in the AutoGK options I left the XviD option checked, so yep they're XviD.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 04:13:02 pm »

I have had the exact same behavior with xvid on several machines running Vista & Nvidia.
Its a mystery to me why Nvidia still is unable/unwilling fix this after all this time...

Pages: [1]   Go Up