INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12.0.226 - Cover Art / Falling back to Folder.jpg  (Read 2076 times)

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
12.0.226 - Cover Art / Falling back to Folder.jpg
« on: May 14, 2007, 07:49:19 pm »

Is there a simple option (that I might be missing somehow) that will disable MC from falling back to "folder.jpg" as the default covert art for a MP3 which doesn't have any?

I have noticed (through the library server logs) that this is the reason it is displaying completely incorrect art for those tracks that I have not added art for yet.  I've read through the forum and kind of have an idea how folder.jpg is used (albeit I don't use it), but for my purposes I don't want MC to even pay attention to it at all, since all my MP3s reside in one directory.  I would rather it just show nothing at all for those -- makes it even easier to remind me to take care of those tracks.

Until now, I could never see a pattern to this, as the "default" art it kept showing changed periodically (it seemed to coincide with what has been added recently/new art that has been added).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 12.0.226 - Cover Art / Falling back to Folder.jpg
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:38:05 pm »

You could erase spurious folder.jpg files from your system so MC won't find them.

Or pick those files and do "Right-click > Cover Art > Remove Cover Art"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:15:42 pm »

I do realize that, but remember I have all my music in one folder, so it is just that one folder.jpg that appears.

I would rather have an explicit option in MC to ignore it as (at least from what I understand), it can reappear (from WMP, Explorer, etc) and when it does, I don't want MC to start picking it back up again and assigning that one pic to every track that doesn't have one.  For all I know, MC could be also creating it at some point as well (I have no idea).

It also does this when syncing to the ipod... I really don't like seeing a pic of Donna Summer when I'm playing a new Rascal Flatts song I have just imported, which doesn't contain cover art (yet).  Whatever cover art that folder.jpg was last updated with, gets populated in every track without any.

Also... it does not store this default image in the file... meaning, if I delete "folder.jpg" and then play a song without any art, it will just display nothing (as it should).  But I just know that little sucker will be back to haunt me again soon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:00:08 pm »

MC does not automatically create new cover art links after the audio files are imported.

It does that on import and if you do "Update Library (from tags)". If the audio file folder contains only one jpg image the filename doesn't matter, MC uses it anyway. If the folder contains more than one image file MC creates a cover art link if it finds a folder.jpg file or if the name follows the [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album].jpg rule.

Windows Explorer does not add folder.jpg images. Window Media Player can do that if you import the files and let WMP download metadata from Microsoft's server. Stupidly WMP can also overwrite an existing higher resolution folder.jpg image and change the file attribute to hidden without asking a permission.

My advice is to not use WMP's metadata services.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up