INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art and a directory mounted as hand-held  (Read 1821 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cover art and a directory mounted as hand-held
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:07:51 am »

Hi,

I have a directory (on an external to-go drive) mounted as a handheld. When I sync to that directory I see that the music files are being transferred but the cover art file is not being transferred. I looked around but could not find anywhere where I can find an option to also move the cover art images. I have chosen to not convert any of the audio, images or video in this handheld options.

thanks,
Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Cover art and a directory mounted as hand-held
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:24:57 am »

MC does not have automation for including separate cover art files. I think the only way to transfer the cover art files would be to import them to the library and include them in the transfer list. I.e if you want to transfer a file it must be available as an individual file in the library.

For getting the cover art images to the correct folders on your "virtual" handheld you would need give the images at least the tags that you use in the handheld folder path. For example: Album Artist (auto) and Album. Possibly you can use the Fill Properties From Filename tool for mass populating these fields from the path.

To make things easier you can create a library view scheme that can show also these image files. When you browse this kind of view scheme by albums or by file location you can easily include the cover art files in the transfer queue.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:00:35 am »

Thanks Alex for replying. Much appreciated.

MC does not have automation for including separate cover art files. I think the only way to transfer the cover art files would be to import them to the library and include them in the transfer list. I.e if you want to transfer a file it must be available as an individual file in the library.

If I have them in the library and transfer an album, will MC12 automaticaly put the cover art file in the transfer list? Looks like it won't. This will make it much more painful than it should be.

For getting the cover art images to the correct folders on your "virtual" handheld you would need give the images at least the tags that you use in the handheld folder path. For example: Album Artist (auto) and Album. Possibly you can use the Fill Properties From Filename tool for mass populating these fields from the path.

Two problems: The file name doesn't contain Genre and I have that in the directory structure on the handheld as the top-level directory. Also many filenames don't have the proper names.

To make things easier you can create a library view scheme that can show also these image files. When you browse this kind of view scheme by albums or by file location you can easily include the cover art files in the transfer queue.

This is way too harder than it should be. MC12 should have an option of whether the handheld supports the cover art or not and then automaticallly trasnfer the cover art to the handheld. It should be a no-brainer instead of this convoluted way of doing it.

thanks,
Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:45:15 pm »

This is way too harder than it should be. MC12 should have an option of whether the handheld supports the cover art or not and then automaticallly trasnfer the cover art to the handheld. It should be a no-brainer instead of this convoluted way of doing it.

One can always hope. Perhaps JRiver will add a system for moving or copying external cover art when the music files are moved, copied or transferred (this is not only a handheld issue). Currently a cover art file does not automatically exist in the database as a separate file. The cover art link is just one of the library tags in each music file.

From time to time during the last few years I have explained how I import and tag the cover art files too. This system has worked extremely well. Many of my albums contain also the back, CD and booklet images. If I want to change my folder structure (for example, include Genre in the folder path) I can easily move all cover art files together with the audio files.

Here is a thread in which I explained that almost three years ago:
Topic: Cover Art Question
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up